PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Slot Options without Edelman

Status
Not open for further replies.
One way or the other we are going to find out whether he is just a gadget player or if he wasn’t being used to his fullest potential.

Gadget plays are typically short yardage plays like slot WR plays.

Triumph doesnt understand that short passes are completed at a much higher % than long passes so he thinks that a guy who catches short passes has better hands than a guy who catches long passes. He actually tried to argue that Dorsett dropped 50% if his targets because he caught 50% of his targets.

You have learned nothing from your days of claiming Maroney was a # 1 Running Back.

70% of Pattersons 2016 throws were short. That is why his catch rate was 74%.

Patterson and Matthews can both play in the slot and bring different skillsets. Burkhead can also play in the slot and James White is going to play in the slot, and Barrios and McCarron have outside shots. It's only four games, anointing a starter isn't really that important.

It's basically Hogan and a whole bunch of question marks for the remainder. Patterson's kick returning probably guarantees him a roster spot and it seems likely Britt, Mitchell, and Matthews are on the inside track, but Dorsett and those prospects may unseat any of them. Britt and Matthews are both relatively unimpressive journeymen and Mitchell's an injury case. Arguably, Dorsett may have a better shot because aside from Hogan none of the others are downfield players.

@Triumph —I wonder if Belichick’s “promise to use him the right way” (Cordarelle’s words, of course) may include more downfield throws, thus raising the 9% rate?

Not meaning to dispute your slot theory, because it’s a possibility and we’re all just throwing around ideas, but if Belichick really lured Patterson here with the promise of using his skill set correctly, I wonder what that could mean?

@Triumph —I wonder if Belichick’s “promise to use him the right way” (Cordarelle’s words, of course) may include more downfield throws, thus raising the 9% rate?

Not meaning to dispute your slot theory, because it’s a possibility and we’re all just throwing around ideas, but if Belichick really lured Patterson here with the promise of using his skill set correctly, I wonder what that could mean?
For all we know Belichick says that to everyone.
I hope not would love to see Patterson turn a corner.
I really want Josh Gordon he is a monster.
I'd give up as high as a second for him.

Britt and Matthews are both relatively unimpressive journeymen

Arguably, Dorsett may have a better shot because aside from Hogan none of the others are downfield players.

Say what you want about Britt but Matthews was the best slot receiver in the NFL 3 out of the last 4 years and the year he was not was only due to injury. This was also during Matthews first 4 years in the league. His rookie season he put up 67/872/8. How is Matthews unimpressive?

Also, How is Britt not a "downfield player" . He ran the same 40 time as Hogan. Hogan career YPR is 13.1. Britt's is 15.6. Hogan lead the NFL in YPR in 2016 with 17.9. Britt has surpassed that total twice in his career and has had a YPR of over 13 yards SEVEN times in his career. Hogan has done it once

Hogan has one season over 450 yards receiving in his 5 years in the NFL by the age of 28.... Britt has surpassed 450 yards SIX times by the age of 28.

Hogan has one play over 50 yards in his entire career. Britt has had SIX by the same age.

Also, all the Hogan goodness came with Brady. Britt had Kerry Collins, Vince Young, Austin Davis, Jared Goff, and Kase Keenum throwing him the ball among others.

You have learned nothing from your days of claiming Maroney was a # 1 Running Back.

70% of Pattersons 2016 throws were short. That is why his catch rate was 74%.
I have finally taught you something.

Say what you want about Britt but Matthews was the best slot receiver in the NFL 3 out of the last 4 years and the year he was not was only due to injury. This was also during Matthews first 4 years in the league. His rookie season he put up 67/872/8. How is Matthews unimpressive?

Also, How is Britt not a "downfield player" . He ran the same 40 time as Hogan. Hogan career YPR is 13.1. Britt's is 15.6. Hogan lead the NFL in YPR in 2016 with 17.9. Britt has surpassed that total twice in his career and has had a YPR of over 13 yards SEVEN times in his career. Hogan has done it once

Hogan has one season over 450 yards receiving in his 5 years in the NFL by the age of 28.... Britt has surpassed 450 yards SIX times by the age of 28.

Hogan has one play over 50 yards in his entire career. Britt has had SIX by the same age.

Also, all the Hogan goodness came with Brady. Britt had Kerry Collins, Vince Young, Austin Davis, Jared Goff, and Kase Keenum throwing him the ball among others.

Matthews was decent but those numbers had some inflation in the chip kelly offense. The numbers were there simply due to the amount of targets he was getting. His catch rate for slot guy was pretty average. He hasn’t hit 70% once.

Matthews was decent but those numbers had some inflation in the chip kelly offense. The numbers were there simply due to the amount of targets he was getting. His catch rate for slot guy was pretty average. He hasn’t hit 70% once.

He certainly wasnt "unimpressive". With Brady he should be better assuming he latches on particularly since BB has said the pats system favors the slot receiver.

BTW Edelman has only surpassed 70% once and that was with Brady throwing him the ball his whole career.. While JE works out of the slot quite a bit would you believe that Matthews has a higher career Yards Per Reception.

For all we know Belichick says that to everyone.
I’m sure he has some praise for the free agents that he acquires, but what specifically, is the skill set that Belichick coveted?

Is it Patterson’s ability to take short gainers and turn them into big plays? More downfield shots? A bit of both? That’s the question.

BTW Edelman has only surpassed 70% once and that was with Brady throwing him the ball his whole career.. While JE works out of the slot quite a bit would you believe that Matthews has a higher career Yards Per Reception.

I’d believe it. He also has a higher YPR than welker.

Jordan Matthews was the best slot receiver in football? Are you nuts? Doug Baldwin, Larry Fitzgerald, Julian Edelman, Jarvis Landry, Golden Tate, Mohamed Sanu, Keenan Allen, Randall Cobb? Even in his best year he was maybe on the fringe of the top-10. He put up big numbers in a Chip Kelly offense that was mostly devoid of talent but ran more plays than any other team in history. He's not very physically gifted, but he's physical and wins at the catch point. Still, there was a reason he was available later into free agency.

Britt's best years are well behind him, and his weird year with the Rams came when he was the only warm body available to catch passes. He's a journeyman now, and one whose production and yards per reception has steadily dropped since 2014. He'll be 30 in September, and he's got a reputation as a malcontent. Maybe he'll go back to his old self with a full offseason with Brady, but it's just as likely he's on the waiver wire come opening day.

Neither of these guys are even guaranteed to make the team, let alone play a major role. I'd love to see them do well but I'm not expecting anything.

Last edited:
Jordan Matthews was the best slot receiver in football? Are you nuts? Doug Baldwin, Larry Fitzgerald, Julian Edelman, Jarvis Landry, Golden Tate, Mohamed Sanu, Keenan Allen, Randall Cobb? Even in his best year he was maybe on the fringe of the top-10. He put up big numbers in a Chip Kelly offense that was mostly devoid of talent but ran more plays than any other team in history. He's not very physically gifted, but he's physical and wins at the catch point. Still, there was a reason he was available later into free agency.

Britt's best years are well behind him, and his weird year with the Rams came when he was the only warm body available to catch passes. He's a journeyman now, and one whose production and yards per reception has steadily dropped since 2014. He'll be 30 in September, and he's got a reputation as a malcontent. Maybe he'll go back to his old self with a full offseason with Brady, but it's just as likely he's on the waiver wire come opening day.

Neither of these guys are even guaranteed to make the team, let alone play a major role. I'd love to see them do well but I'm not expecting anything.
Berrios and Mccarron have equal footing with Matthews and Britt

Dorsett if he sticks and Hogan are downfield threats too.

The downfield throw is low completion %. With the exception of Randy Moss, how many times have we seen Brady throw long and the pass land incomplete? Brady makes his living picking apart a defense with short quick throws moving the chains. The plays are over before the defense can react protecting not only Brady, but the receiver as well.

The day you provide valid worthwhile information will be the first.

Patterson = Slot.
Maroney = Bust
Not sure why you are obsessed with Lawrence maroney

But at least you have learned that catch rate is heavily influenced by type of pass. You are welcome for that lesson.
I guess you will have to wait to see Patterson not being the slot receiver to get that one through your hard head though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back