PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Slot Options without Edelman

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL ur a casual who has no clue. And needs to not get so online.

You don't need stats to prove someone is a better player.

Was Favre the greatest QB of all time bc of his stats?

Stats only tell part of the story. Esp for a dependent position like WR.

Truth be told & homers need not apply. Edleman isnt a top ten wr & every serious football fan understands that. Stats or no stats.

I gave u 10+ names. Could've kept going but its pointless considering your position.

11 is a wonderful player. Clutch. Maybe pound 4 pound the toughest in the league. Hes not one of the 10 best players at his position.

Casual fan? Uh ok. Been watching the Pats and the NFL for 50 years.
I never played,coahed or scouted in the NFL.
Neither did you.
Seriously doubt you know any more than me about schemes, x's and o's.
I just don't have the time or desire to spend posting that stuff here. But I'm grateful for all those who do.
So once again, you've offered no proof.
Nice strawman with Favre. Of course he's not the GOAT. And his stats actually prove he's NOT the GOAT. Too many ints among other things. But Favre certainly is a top 10 all-time qb.
Weak posting. You're capable of better.
I think.

Casual fan? Uh ok. Been watching the Pats and the NFL for 50 years.
I never played,coahed or scouted in the NFL.
Neither did you.
Seriously doubt you know any more than me about schemes, x's and o's.
I just don't have the time or desire to spend posting that stuff here. But I'm grateful for all those who do.
So once again, you've offered no proof.
Nice strawman with Favre. Of course he's not the GOAT. And his stats actually prove he's NOT the GOAT. Too many ints among other things. But Favre certainly is a top 10 all-time qb.
Weak posting. You're capable of better.
I think.

How does any of this prove Edelman is a top 10 WR? He definitely isn't. Maybe in 2015 before he got injured (he was on a crazy pace) but besides then, he's only ever hovered around 1000 yards as a starter.

LOL ur a casual who has no clue. And needs to not get so online.

You don't need stats to prove someone is a better player.

Was Favre the greatest QB of all time bc of his stats?

Stats only tell part of the story. Esp for a dependent position like WR.

Truth be told & homers need not apply. Edleman isnt a top ten wr & every serious football fan understands that. Stats or no stats.

I gave u 10+ names. Could've kept going but its pointless considering your position.

11 is a wonderful player. Clutch. Maybe pound 4 pound the toughest in the league. Hes not one of the 10 best players at his position.

I think we have a new litmus test for homers.

How does any of this prove Edelman is a top 10 WR? He definitely isn't. Maybe in 2015 before he got injured (he was on a crazy pace) but besides then, he's only ever hovered around 1000 yards as a starter.

Dude, proof was in an earlier post. Go back and read it.
Also,both #of recs and yac are more meaningful stats than yds.
In his last season (2016), he ranked #4 and #8 respectively in those stats.

I think we have a new litmus test for homers.
Its beyond absurd.

LOL He tells me 11 is a top 10 wr then proceeds to tell me that hes been watching football for 50 years!

I'd also put most of those guys ahead of JE- but not all of them.
I guarantee all 10 do NOT have better stats than JE
, over the last 2 years he played (2015,2016).
If #of recs and yac are meaningless stats, then I'd really like to know how you quantify a wrs production.
Again, you've offered no proof.
You can leave out the obvious guys like jj,ad,Beckham. I'd like to see some stats on the other 7 guys to back up your claim.
Or should we just accept"because you said so."
Lol

Skill position players on the Pats that are top 10 in their position:
Brady
Gronk
Ghost
Gilmore
DMac
Patterson - KR duh

If you want to discuss slot receivers as a category and want to put JE in there then he would be easily top 10 there. But as a WR I would not put him in there, granted he is a tremendous player and ST guy.

Also, its been 4 years since JE would have even made the top 10 punt returners from last years return stats.

Cody Hollister isn’t a TE. Jacob hollister is a TE, he is 6’4” and was 240 but reportedly has bulked up.

Point taken. Jacob Hollister - more yards, fewer TDs in college than Shane Wimann. Wyoming versus Northern Illinois - both second tier post-secondary programs. Cap is negligible for Hollister ($6k in dead money in 2018. )

Jacob Hollister College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Shane Wimann College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

However you want to look at this question, Edelman is gone for four weeks and a bunch of capable players will have a shot at some targets. I am not concerned.

On an unrelated matter...

o_O
Without Danny now...my alternative to JE11 is
latest

Well, maybe the best slot receiver in the game the last 3 out of 4 years will be satisfactory enough for at least the first 4 games. Its not like Burkhead and White cant pick up some slack either.

:rolleyes:

Dude, proof was in an earlier post. Go back and read it.
Also,both #of recs and yac are more meaningful stats than yds.
In his last season (2016), he ranked #4 and #8 respectively in those stats.
Like every other “best” argument it depends upon how you define “best”.

If we are talking about putting a wr one on one with a top corner for a play it would be ridiculous to say Edelman is a top
10 WR.
But if you are talking about all of the things a wr does, considering that there are things that Edelman does better than just about anyone that just aren’t as flashy but just as important (getting open quickly to convert 3rd downs is as important as making a sick athletic play for example) consider blocking as a factor, consider punt returns, consider attitude, team first, non diva approach and how the whole package contributes to winning football games it’s not so ridiculous to consider him.

Lol at josh Gordon being listed as a top 10 wr btw.

Like every other “best” argument it depends upon how you define “best”.

If we are talking about putting a wr one on one with a top corner for a play it would be ridiculous to say Edelman is a top
10 WR.
But if you are talking about all of the things a wr does, considering that there are things that Edelman does better than just about anyone that just aren’t as flashy but just as important (getting open quickly to convert 3rd downs is as important as making a sick athletic play for example) consider blocking as a factor, consider punt returns, consider attitude, team first, non diva approach and how the whole package contributes to winning football games it’s not so ridiculous to consider him.

Lol at josh Gordon being listed as a top 10 wr btw.

Someone stated 11 was a top 10 WR. Those aren't my top 10, just guys off the top who are better.

When Gordon is on the field hes an elite WR.

This can go many ways but that was a well thought out analysis so I’ll give mine.

Mitchell is the wild card because if he is healthy he makes the team and probably sees a lot of action.
Hogan is set in his role.
Matthews basically takes Edelman’s spot in the first 4 games. He could be the leading receiver if he plays 16 games to Edelman’s 12.
Patterson is going nowhere and while he may not play 50% of the snaps he will be a weapon. There will be “Patterson plays” designed to get him in space with the ball, which could include reverses, Wr screens, shallow crossing routes, jet sweeps etc. He also had the outside speed to pull coverage on deep routes.
I see Patterson as a replacement and expansion of what Dorset did last year. I see 800+ yards from scrimmage coming from him in many varied ways.
Britt will depend on Mitchell. With Edelman, hogan, Matthews and Patterson there is only room for one of Mitchell, Britt, Dorsett, and that role could be very small.
We have 7 capable receivers to fill what really is just 4 roles and depending upon how the TE position shakes out it could be 3 roles plus a guy who barely plays.

Patterson will play the slot.

His hands are deadly accurate 74% catch rate last year.
The majority of his receptions are short passes. 70% in 2016.
He is smaller than Mathews.
Patterson is quicker than Mathews which is a key trait for playing slot In NE.
Edelman 2016 YAC - 6.95
Almendola 2017 YAC - 7.66
Patterson 2017 YAC - drum roll.... 7.26

Quickness and greats hands = Patterson in the slot and NOT Mathews.

Edelman 2016 YAC - 6.95

Patterson 6’2 220
Matthews 6’3 215

As usual wrong.

Avg yards of pass, Patterson 2.7. 74% is not impressive when everything is a long handoff.

Edelman 2016 YAC - 6.95

In what world does Patterson have "Great hands"?

He's actually progressed nicely over the last 2 resembling a real WR but he doesnt have great hands lol.

Also one guy has a history of being a slot option & one guy has been a gadget player/best return man in the league.

He's actually progressed nicely over the last 2 resembling a real WR but he doesnt have great hands lol.

Also one guy has a history of being a slot option & one guy has been a gadget player/best return man in the league.

One way or the other we are going to find out whether he is just a gadget player or if he wasn’t being used to his fullest potential.

Triumph doesnt understand that short passes are completed at a much higher % than long passes so he thinks that a guy who catches short passes has better hands than a guy who catches long passes. He actually tried to argue that Dorsett dropped 50% if his targets because he caught 50% of his targets.

One way or the other we are going to find out whether he is just a gadget player or if he wasn’t being used to his fullest potential.
I think it’s both.
We are going to use his gadget abilities better and that will make him an unconventional weapon.

If you watched him it wasn't this. Again hes made some nice strides but hes just now looking like a WR.

I said it when we got him. He's the best return man in the league by far. Elite there & get him in space on some short stuff. He's not gone be our slot option lol.

Not really directed at you but I'm starting to think most only watch the Pats on here?

JE11 a top 10 WR lol?

Patterson has great hands lol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back