PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Slot Options without Edelman

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the fact that he couldn’t get on the field has no impact on his ability?
He didn’t play for 3 years then had a weak senior year. Slice or however you want but this is a guy who had a poor college career and is 5’9” and people want to make him out as some kind of star in the making because once we had a guy who was 5’9 who was good.

Let’s do it another way. What about this guy gives you any reason to believe he can be an NFL player much less a guy who can replace Edelman?

Your right we should do this another way because your first argument was skewed pretty bad.

Now I’m not sure what posters you’re referring to proclaiming him a star when he’s yet to step on the field for us. Now what about this guy gives us reason to believe. Simply his combine numbers. 4.36 40, 40inch vert, 6.47 3 cone, 3.96 shuttle and 10’4”broad jump. I’m not saying he’s gonna be the next great slot wr in NE, I’m pointing out the measurables are there to work with.

Gronk might be the best slot option in the league. We have 3 RB's that can catch & move around as well. Just not worried about this.

Your right we should do this another way because your first argument was skewed pretty bad.
So what he produced ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD is a bad argument about what kind of football player he is? Do you realize how stupid that sounds?

Now I’m not sure what posters you’re referring to proclaiming him a star when he’s yet to step on the field for us. Now what about this guy gives us reason to believe. Simply his combine numbers. 4.36 40, 40inch vert, 6.47 3 cone, 3.96 shuttle and 10’4”broad jump. I’m not saying he’s gonna be the next great slot wr in NE, I’m pointing out the measurables are there to work with.
Many players have had measurables like that and done nothing in the NFL. He had those measurables when he was mediocre at the college level and last year when we never used him, choosing a guy off the street with no practice or knowledge of the offense instead.

Sure he could miraculously develop into a player but we are talking 1000 to 1 shot at best.

So what he produced ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD is a bad argument about what kind of football player he is? Do you realize how stupid that sounds?

So I’m just supposed to allow you to skew the numbers to strengthen your argument when you knew he only had 1 year of solid playing time? Haha, not on my watch buddy.

Sure he could miraculously develop into a player but we are talking 1000 to 1 shot at best.

Agreed. Long shot at best

Just about any WR, TE or RB on the active roster, depending on gameplan, defense, formation and play.

Gronk might be the best slot option in the league. We have 3 RB's that can catch & move around as well. Just not worried about this.

I'm not either. BUT JE11 is a LOT more than a slot wr.
He usually has more catches outside of the slot than in it. He is NOT a slot receiver.
What he IS, is a top 10 wr in the NFL.
There's no one on the Pats roster who can do what he does. After TB and Gronk, he has been the best offensive weapon on the team.

TFB and Gronk ARE the best.

By recent history Edelman is the 3rd best weapon on the roster. I'd have rated Lewis ahead of him last year. White is very good. Burkhead had some great moments.

With Matthews, White, Burkhead, Hogan and we hope Michel, Dorset and Mitchell, this will be a very good passing and running offense.

I am not worried about offense.

No Edelman, no Amendola. I’d go Berrios and Mathews. Dorset is a downfield player who won’t contribute in the middle at all. Unfortunately Edelman has reached the point in his career where they have to look to the future and Berrios really fits that mold well.

No Edelman, no Amendola. I’d go Berrios and Mathews. Dorset is a downfield player who won’t contribute in the middle at all. Unfortunately Edelman has reached the point in his career where they have to look to the future and Berrios really fits that mold well.
I bet Berrios and Mccarron knock Britt and Matthews off the roster

We'll see how he comes back from that injury. Reports have been that he looks like his explosive old self. If so, he's a badly needed piece of the offense.
JE and Gronk are in the same boat. They're both still at the top of their games(tho we still need to see how Jules plays), but both are like Brady, closer to the end. So the Pats need to be grooming replacements for all 3. But Jules and Gronk could both continue to play at a high level for several more years.

Britt is a big outside the hashes downfield receiver, he won’t figure into the equation, he’s fighting with Dorset, who is the smaller faster option for those plays. I see Mathews more like Malcolm
Mitchell, but both could stick. Overall I think it’s more of a move the chains receiving corps.

May be a bit of a stretch to think they can both make it to the roster, but I’m thinking that one of them has an excellent chance of at least starting the season on the active roster.

While I think we all prefer to give the nod to Berrios, it will be interesting to see if McCarron’s previous year in our system benefits him in this competition.

An aside on this discourse, can Edelman practice with this team while he is suspended??

Brady could not, but most other NFL suspensions allow the player to participate..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes