PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Silver Lining: Damien Harris looks very good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overall, good game from Harris being that it was really his first time playing. But that run at 1:20 left in the first half had me fuming. This was the epitome of what Maroney was back in the day being a pile magnet rather than bouncing it to the outside. Aside from that, I like what I saw so far.

Also, #37 for a RB is awful, he needs to change that.

its the dude's first game in professional football. He put up 100 yards, calm down

Don't get the logic about "take away one run and...." The long run still happened, why would we take it away? Should we take away his shortest run?

I'm not even close to saying he's the next Curtis Martin but he had a promising debut and let's see how he develops. Sony did have a good game vs the Raiders, lets see where that goes too.

Don't get the logic about "take away one run and...." The long run still happened, why would we take it away? Should we take away his shortest run?

I'm not even close to saying he's the next Curtis Martin but he had a promising debut and let's see how he develops. Sony did have a good game vs the Raiders, lets see where that goes too.

I think the goal is to look at consistency and his expected production on average, not a single outlier. I like Harris, and I was happy we drafted him, but he wasn't doing anything out there to call him "very good." He was solid, but he missed a lot of chances to pick up more yards. His big run -- which I agree we can't take away -- can also be contextualized: he just ran untouched until he went out of bounds. No cutback attempt, no initiating contact, etc.

I think the goal is to look at consistency and his expected production on average, not a single outlier. I like Harris, and I was happy we drafted him, but he wasn't doing anything out there to call him "very good." He was solid, but he missed a lot of chances to pick up more yards. His big run -- which I agree we can't take away -- can also be contextualized: he just ran untouched until he went out of bounds. No cutback attempt, no initiating contact, etc.
I think if he cut back and changed the angle he had a good shot at a TD. He'll learn.

its the dude's first game in professional football. He put up 100 yards, calm down
No, I think it's the other way around. I clearly stated he had a good game despite it being his first game being the lead back.

Did you not see this?

Yep, it's a terrible argument. The deal is the long run happened. You give a back enough carries and they'll have a good chance to eventually find a crease/hole for a big gain.

There's plenty of backs in the NFL that are held in check and then they rip off a big one. Oh, and I don't think KC was too concerned with the Pats passing game so there's that.

I liked what I saw - doesn't dance, decisive and falls forward.

No, I think it's the other way around. I clearly stated he had a good game despite it being his first game being the lead back.

Did you not see this?

You talked about how he missed a chance to bounce outside from a side angle camera where we couldn't see that side of the field and compared him to Maroney. I stand by my calm down it was his first game comment

RB's are replaceable, Sony is on borrowed time no matter how well he plays. Let him walk, draft another one for the pipeline and/or sign another value vet free agent like Rex.
They are also replaceable cheaply. Also agree on the wider point that he'll play this contract and that's likely it, but they should keep him through the year as he can get hot. Not what you want from a RB (microwavable vs steady heat) drafted in the first round, but at the same time draft inexact science being what it is at least the Pats got the full contract and production especially in the playoffs a couple years ago versus a full bust (1-2 years and out).

They are also replaceable cheaply. Also agree on the wider point that he'll play this contract and that's likely it, but they should keep him through the year as he can get hot. Not what you want from a RB (microwavable vs steady heat) drafted in the first round, but at the same time draft inexact science being what it is at least the Pats got the full contract and production especially in the playoffs a couple years ago versus a full bust (1-2 years and out).
Outside of the injuries I think Sony gave the Pats exactly what they wanted. He missed three games to start 2018. If Sony doesn't get hurt in 2018 and you project his regular season stats out over 16 games he would have rushed for roughly 1217 yards and 8 TD's at 4.5 yards per carry. 1217 yards would have garnered him the 4th most rushing yards in the NFL in 2018. He led the entire NFL postseason in yards, yards per carry and TD's.

In 2019 their blocking was horrid, they had zero TE's for the first third of the season due to injuries and Watson's suspension. The O-Line suffered some injuries and finally Develin's career ended. By the final third of 2019 Sony's numbers were much better in concert with with better blocking. That team failed because they couldn't pass well.

Sony's running mate at Georgia didn't play his entire rookie season so it would be unfair to compare, but in 2019 Chubb played 68% of the Browns offensive snaps on the season, Sony played 37%... about half as much as Chubb on offense. Chubb rarely left the field, the Patriots rotate players in, they use players situationally.

The Patriots don't lean entirely on one superstar back, and even if they drafted one he likely wouldn't see a second contract in New England. This is the same team that let Chandler Jones, the best pass rusher in the league, leave for a 2nd round pick because he wanted 100 million dollars. At some point players become too expensive and some positions (QB, CB, OL) are more important to spend your cap dollars on.

Some fans believe fantasy football success = real world football success. It doesn't, football is won by the best team in three phases. It's not who scores the most points, it's who wins the point differential battle.

Sometimes I wonder if Sony's whole family is posting here. I have never seen such an average player get so many excuses made for him. Is he terrible? No. Is he anything special? Not even close. He was drafted in round one presumably because they thought he could be a bell cow back who could also catch passes. So far he has been injured quite a bit, offered nothing in the passing game, and looked thoroughly average outside of a few playoff games two years ago.

Anyone who thinks that they will pick up that 5th year option on him is nuts. I wouldn't be surprised if he is out of the league in two years.

Knowing how Bill operates, I suspect that the Pats would have been trying to trade the pick, where they ended up taking Sony. He was the first RB taken in the draft that year, chosen at 31. This after taking their left tackle of the future at 23. Two of the next seven picks after Sony were RB's (Chubb and Jones). I think Sony made himself a pile of money in the college playoffs where he probably had his best two games in college, back to back, against high end quality programs. Many who hate Sony do so because they were expecting 2018 college playoff Sony and we really haven't gotten that guy. I'm not a hater and I do feel that he earned his keep and justified his draft position with our 2018 playoff run where he was invaluable. Could another RB have done as well? Perhaps.
I would not invest a first round pick on a running back, given how often they are injured and how frequently you can find quality backs further down the draft. I suspect that Bill tried hard to trade the pick and then when he couldn't he picked the guy who had just come off two incredible games against top tier college programs.
I don't hate Sony the way many here do. Would I pick up his 5th year option based on his production and injury history? Hell no!

Edit. Second RB chosen in 2018. I forgot about Sequan.

Edit 2. Also forgot about Rashaad Penny at 28 to the Seahawks. Sorry. Not enough coffee this morning.

Sometimes I wonder if Sony's whole family is posting here. I have never seen such an average player get so many excuses made for him. Is he terrible? No. Is he anything special? Not even close. He was drafted in round one presumably because they thought he could be a bell cow back who could also catch passes. So far he has been injured quite a bit, offered nothing in the passing game, and looked thoroughly average outside of a few playoff games two years ago.

Anyone who thinks that they will pick up that 5th year option on him is nuts. I wouldn't be surprised if he is out of the league in two years.

There's always a million excuses when it comes to high pick busts by McDaniels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back