SOURCE:ProFootballTalk.com

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Giants
Thu
Aug 29th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Strong Showing
Another dominating defensive performance by the Patriots as they continue to look strong during their win Thursday night over Carolina.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

SI article- Which teams will win the next 5 Super Bowls?

Discussion in 'NFL Football Forum' started by BostonWolverine, Feb 10, 2019.

1. BostonWolverine

BostonWolverine Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +318
  2. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ice_Ice_Brady PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20,686
    I saw this the other day. As these pundit lists are always wrong (it’s a law of nature), here are the teams likely to win since inexplicably no one picked them:

Green Bay
    Atlanta
    Houston
    San Francisco
    Carolina
    Dallas

Somehow the Jets, Bucs, Browns, Broncos, Raiders, and theoretical Polar Bears all have a vote but none for the teams listed above.

• Funny Funny x 8
  3. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +6,305
    Patriots (5)

• Like x 8
    • Funny x 5
    • Winner x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Useful x 1
  4. Charlotte Pats Fan

Charlotte Pats Fan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1,566
    Jets !!!!! seriously

• Funny Funny x 11
  5. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ratings:
    +20,686
    Everyone is really high on the Chiefs, and I see some big reasons to tone down the optimism. You have a guy who played about as well as possible on a rookie contract. Best case scenario is his play remains the same and doesn’t regress, while I think he signs something in the 35-40M range, and they’re already talking about extending him way before they need to. They’re also going to break the bank on Ford and Hill.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. SBLIII

SBLIII In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3,565
    Patriots (2)
    CHI
    SF
    KC

7. Joey007

Joey007 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +16,584
    I’m all aboard the Chicago train.

8. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ratings:
    +20,686
    Trubisky is not very good.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  9. sb1

sb1 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +10,569
    Patriots 5. :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Joey007

Joey007 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +16,584
    But the rest of the team is.

Hey we’ve seen average QB’s win it all before.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. 50-yard-line

50-yard-line In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5,961
    If they had asked this last year, the Jaguars and Rams would have gotten the most votes. Couple of years ago, Denver and Seattle would have been in the mix. And would anyone have stopped the millennial Rams from getting back despite the Vinateri kick?

Shiny, give me that new shiny...

Bottom line: the teams with young stars have a small window before contracts bury them. KC had everything go right (except Hunt) this year, featuring an offense that was too fast for most teams to adjust against.

Now there's a year of tape, a year of coaches seeing blatant pick plays on the outside (and pointing it out to the refs), a year of coaches watching how the Pats D obliterated the Chiefs in the first half, and how they took out Tyreek Hill for the whole game. Chiefs are really good, Mahomes is really good, but their march to the AFCCG next year will be tougher than this year. They do have an excellent coach, so maybe they'll climb the mountain.

In the meantime, New England was more dominant against the three top teams in this SB run than ever. The only game where the final score reflected the dominance in every other statistic was the San Diego game. Belichick is the difference maker,a s long as Tom Brady can still manage the field, and all anyone has to to do know that Brady can still manhandle the field is watch the last couple of drives against the Chiefs and the 4th quarter against the Rams. Those prognosticators who left New England out of their 5 are nuts. Could happen, of course, but come on.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Thank You Thank You x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ratings:
    +20,686
    He’s way below average.

13. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +6,305
    Not great at all but he did have a good stretch of football. Not going to mistake him for being great but he flashed some potential of being capable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. XLIX

XLIX Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +12,246
    5 years in the NFL is a lifetime. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Arizona, Cleveland or Oakland become contenders if you give that long of a timeframe.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20,713
    Colts have a ton of cap space -
    they should be in the mix though it pains me to say it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. ahmed

ahmed Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +319
    Patriots is the only reasonable answer. Everything else is a crap shoot. From the AFC I like the Texans and maybe the Chiefs. From the NFC, I like the Bears and maybe the Cowboys if they get a different coach.

17. farn

farn Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +8,226
    Reid + $$$ (to Mahomes) = losses.

People are looking at the new treat of the weak (intended spelling) and projecting great things.

I see a guy who is going to break the bank and hamper KC for Years. Mahomes has talent. But tape is out there, he’s yet to « do it again » and I Have seen this film before (RGIII, Luck...) and it doesn’t end in SB wins.

18. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +9,182
    "The Saints and Patriots will get their Super Bowl victories with their current coach-quarterback combinations while they're still in this championship window, and the Chiefs may get one or both of theirs after Mahomes signs his contract extension. "

Wait, what?

1) how many years are left on the cheap deal, and
    2) Why would he perform better after you pay him, rather than before?

Maybe the NFL works different from other contracts, but counting on performance after you pay the man seems like, in general, the wrong end in most cases.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Nehalem

Nehalem Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +2,220
    I don't get everyone picking the Chiefs to win multiple SBs in the next 5 years.

Since 2000 only 2 teams have won multiple SBs in a 5 year span: Patriots and Steelers.

With only the Ravens additionally having won multiple SBs at all since 2000.

This year was probably the Chiefs best chance at a SB and they still blew it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. patfanken

patfanken PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20,295
    Reading this article reminded me of a similar one done in the spring of 2001 by a very respected football analyst (who's name escapes me). In this article the author named the 5 teams LEAST likely to win a Superbowl in the next 5 years. #1 on that list was your NE Patriots. ;).

Here's the thing I think we all miss. We all miss just how hard it is just to win a single NFL game, let alone a Superbowl. You just have to remember all the really tough games we've had with the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins over the years. Sure we won a great majority of them, but almost all of them were close tough games. Or just look at the fact that all 5 of the Pats losses this year came against teams who didn't even get to the playoffs. :eek:

So just multiply that by 100, and that is how hard it is to win the 3 or 4 games necessary to win a Superbowl against the BEST teams of that year. So MANY things can happen to derail a game and many more to derail a season. So did I mention that it's HARD to win a Superbowl.

All a team and a fan base can hope for is that they get to the playoffs and hope to be playing at their best AND get a few breaks along the way for that 3 or 4 game run. NOTHING is guaranteed going in. Perhaps once in a generation there is a team that is THAT good to run roughshod through the playoffs like the 85 Bears. Just look at what happened to the Saints in the last 2 seasons. You just can't plan or protect from those 2 endings. That sh!t just happens and you have to be on the right side of them. Back to the "hard" thing again.

All I know is that over the next 5 years, it is very likely that that for the majority of them, the Pats WILL have that opportunity to compete for that title. I know that they will be well coached, prepared and competitive in every one of those games. So if, in a given year, everything comes together (team chemistry, talent, HEALTH, and our fair share of the good bounces and calls), we will host another Lombardi. But what we sometimes forget is that all TWELVE playoff teams get that same shot.

When you think about it this way and try and forget the entitlement comes with being Pats fans (these days), what the Pats have done over the course of almost TWO decades becomes even more remarkable win or lose.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019