SOURCE:CBS Boston

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Lions
Thu
Aug 8th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Bad Decision
Boomer Esiason has normally been respectful of Brady, but made some poor decisions with his comments last week about the Patriots QB.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

SI article- Which teams will win the next 5 Super Bowls?

Discussion in 'NFL Football Forum' started by BostonWolverine, Feb 10, 2019.

1. everlong

everlong Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +4,486
    This is such a ridiculous exercise but it's the off season and I'm bored so I'll play.

The Chiefs are among the most likely to regress next year in my mind. Teams have a year of tape on Mahomes who granted is dynamic with his legs but QBs like that also end up on the shelf more often. They also have to rebuild that defense and two of their better pieces in Houston and Berry will be 30 and 31 and both have had a hard time staying healthy. Kelce also turns 30 and Watkins can't stay on the field and they signed him to that big contract.

I also think the Eagles will regress further. They're at a negative salary cap space of over 6M.

I surprised nobody took Green Bay and I'm shocked 4 people took the Steelers who are as dysfunctional as it gets and their QB is a major reason why. Worthlessberger is one of those QBs where the miles are going to add up all at once. As much as I think Rodgers is all about Rodgers if they put the right team around him he's still capable. I do think he might be gone before Brady.

I'm surprised nobody took SF as a dark horse. They have high draft picks and JG returning along with a load of cap space.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Brick27

Brick27 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +2,409
    “Hey Chiefs have Mahomes so they’re going to win multiple super bowls over 5 years”.

Not sure how that sort of insight suggests they handle aging/banged up Eric Berry, Dee Ford’s free agency this year, Tyreek Hill and Chris Jones next year. There’s also guys like Anthony Hitchens and Sammy Watkins (19.2M cap hit in 2019, 21M for 2020) with inflated salaries and/or unfavorable dead caps that are hard to get out from. Then you’ve got the team rushing to give Mahomes a monster deal sooner than later.

Mahomes seems like the real deal, and it’s hard to argue he won’t continue to excel. Still though, teams will have tape, and it won’t be an unknown when teams face him in another go around. He put up an all-time great year with 5,000 passsing yards, and 50 TDs, yet they couldn’t put the pieces together to finish the job. Even if he were to “regress” and have seasons more in the range of say 4,000-4,200 yards and 35-38 TDs...would there be enough in place to overcome this drop in production, the defensive woes, roster turnover, etc to be a 1st seed again? If it’s expected that Mahomes needs to put up 50k, and 50 TDs just to be in the mix, that’s not a good thing from the team perspective.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Joey007

Joey007 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +16,245
    Too early

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. BobDigital

BobDigital Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13,019
    It's impossible to predict beyond a few years. The only thing I can predict with any reliability are the teams that won't win in the next 2 years. Mostly they are teams that are locked in with bad QBs who can't get it done.

For instance I would argue the Ravens are in a lot worse of a position than a number of weaker teams even though they are coming off a 10-6 year and had arguably the best defense last year. Sadly they are all in on the Lamar Jackson train and I don't see that taking them anywhere.

I would honestly pick a team like the Browns or Dolphins to be more likely to win it all than them in the next few years just because their QB situation is less shaky.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Steve:Section 102

Steve:Section 102 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2,202
    Conor Orr picks the Pats to win x3. That's crazy talk! Can you even imagine? The league offices would implode if by 2024 the Patriots have 9 Super Bowl Banners hung in Gillette.

Nine.

The very thought of it makes me grin ear to ear.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ice_Ice_Brady PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19,900
    It seems that this person reflects the mindsets of actual GMs. They can’t wait to make this guy the highest paid because naturally that means they can finally win the SB.

7. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +9,043
    Nine England.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +9,043
    So. Much. Facepalm.

9. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ratings:
    +19,900
    I’ll go with these five as most likely to win in next five years.

Patriots
    Falcons
    Chargers
    49ers
    Texans

10. Shed83

Shed83 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +340
    Not sure if it is deliberate or you have been lucky enough to be able to erase a certain couple of games from your mind but there is one massive elephant you are forgetting

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ratings:
    +19,900
    Do you have the link to that article from 2001? I’ve tried to reference/search for it dozens of times, but so I can no longer find it online.

12. law241

law241 Rookie

Ratings:
    +63
    I predict that because of the danger of CTE all the football players in the world will retire in the off-season. The human players will be replaced Dolphins and all NFL fields with be replaced by giant aquariums. The SuperBowl will be renamed the DolphinBowl. The Dolphins will win the next five titles. But not the Miami Dolphins, the Dolphin team from Cleveland. The Miami team will still have double digits losses in each of the five seasons.
    Hey you can't prove me wrong. And if my prediction doesn't come to pass, I will just keep predicting the same thing ad infinitum.

13. Redstorm

Redstorm Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +275
    Correct. Without Mahomes MVP performance, we would’ve looked alot more like the Falcons.

Normally, Good Offense+Bad Defense=fringe playoff team. KC got the #1 seed because they had a Great Offense

14. everlong

everlong Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +4,486
    Belichick is a much better coordinator than head coach, which the Patriots will find out. - Pete Prisco June 2001

“On a day when they could have had impact players David Terrell or Koren Robinson or the second-best tackle in the draft in Kenyatta Walker, they took Georgia defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who had 1 sacks last season in the pass-happy SEC and is too tall to play tackle at 6-6 and too slow to play defensive end. This genius move was followed by trading out of a spot where they could have gotten the last decent receiver in Robert Ferguson and settled for tackle Matt Light, who will not help any time soon.” - Ron Borges

Ya the media is so clairvoyant. Don't even get me going on quotes after the 2014 KC game.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Thank You Thank You x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. BaconGrundleCandy

BaconGrundleCandy Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +8,021
    I've seen this, the Borges one & a few other about Sey. Long before I started grading prospects but nothing wrong w holding people accountable. Its only sports after all, not that serious.

I've long been a Sey-HOF truther. He'll never be confused w Watt but Sey really played & effected the game in the same way JJ did. He'll get in soon hopefully.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. TommyBrady12

TommyBrady12 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +16,097
    -Patriots
    -Saints (I see them bouncing back after 2 heartbreaking playoff losses - maybe a 2 year window)
    -Chiefs (Mahomes will come down to earth a little but still dangerous)
    -Eagles (Solid nucleus)
    -Indianapolis (They are turning that ship around under Ballard)
    -LA Rams (still a damn good team)

• Genius Genius x 1
  17. TommyBrady12

Ratings:
    +16,097
    I think the HOF committee decided not to pick 2 players from the same team in one year, so they went with Law this year over Seymour.

18. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,612
    It was by Joel Buchsbaum and was headlined "Patriots Least Likely". I think it was in Pro Football Weekly and that it has long since disappeared.

Buchsbaum was a reclusive football obsessive who died young (and someone for whom, apparently, BB had a lot of time).

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. farn

farn Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7,884
    I like none of those teams to win the SB (Patriots excluded). Instead of looking at the treat of the week, I will predict which team should be tough. Despite obvious problems, I’d put Pitt and Seattle ahead of the teams listed above. The listed teams all have young QBs that have yet to win it all and may - in some cases - regress. I’ll take Wilson & Ben ahead of the lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. TommyBrady12

Ratings:
    +16,097
    Wilson I can get on board with, but Seattle is going to have to win a tough division. But you would put a 39 year old Roethlisberger over Mahomes, Wentz, Luck, and Brees? Did you forget they were coached by Tomlin?