PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sherman Signs with 49ER'S (Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So glad we did not get involved with trying to outbid San Fran,

They can overpay him for 5 to 10 healthy games per year.

So glad we did not get involved with trying to outbid San Fran,

They can overpay him for 5 to 10 healthy games per year.
It’s a gamble, no doubt about it. It’s going to be interesting to see how it’s set up, but I’m thinking that SF was okay with taking the risk of some upfront money in year one to make this wager, particularly since the player has such a stellar reputation.

Either way, we were never going to be players in that kind of market.

Well, who does? Outside of maybe Phillip Rivers, who actually knows his kids name and is married to their mother.

Well, in fairness to Cromartie, he has a lot more names to remember. Actually, I think he's pretty close to being able to field an All-Cromartie team on both offense and defense.

It was a crappy move period. Either way we saw what our secondary looked like without butler as the second corner. Interesting to see if they will keep Rowe as the second corner on this team.

It wasn't a "crappy move, period".

Fans don't understand the move, period.

If the Pats had won, fans still would have been mystified by the move, but they wouldn't be saying it was "crappy." On the contrary, some of the fans (and the mediots) who are saying it was a "crappy move", "worst decision of Belichick's career", etc., would undoubtedly be calling it a "brilliant move", calling Belichick a genius and proclaiming it the reason the Pats won.

And they'd still be wrong.

That would be fine by itself, but players and agents have memories. It's harder to sign a player to a team friendly deal after he and his agent have watched you sign players to stupid money. Agents and players don't really care about when you have a ton of cap space and when you don't.

OTOH, the guaranteed money being only $5M is much more meaningful than the "3/$39M" fluff that the media habitually emphasizes for the fans.

It wasn't a "crappy move, period".

Fans don't understand the move, period.

If the Pats had won, fans still would have been mystified by the move, but they wouldn't be saying it was "crappy." On the contrary, some of the fans (and the mediots) who are saying it was a "crappy move", "worst decision of Belichick's career", etc., would undoubtedly be calling it a "brilliant move", calling Belichick a genius and proclaiming it the reason the Pats won.

And they'd still be wrong.

You rolled with what got you to this point. Eagles where dumbfounded before the game and clearly took advantage of the matchups all night.

He was the fifth best corner in the league last year. I expect they think it was worth a gamble.
Richard Sherman was right out of the top 10 last year (I'd say 11th or 12th) but after an ACL tear, he'll be sure to show some decline at age 30.

OTOH, the guaranteed money being only $5M is much more meaningful than the "3/$39M" fluff that the media habitually emphasizes for the fans.

The deal makes sense for SF. If he sucks, they've lost some money in year 1 and cut him. If he bounces back, then they are ahead in year 2&3 as going rate for top CB is more than 13m/yr

You rolled with what got you to this point. Eagles where dumbfounded before the game and clearly took advantage of the matchups all night.

And Gilmore and Rowe (after the first quarter) were not part of those matchups that got regularly abused. You keep repeating the same wrong narrative again and again. Just accept it. No matter how you, I or @maineman209 feel about Rowe, the Pats and BB are seeing him as a starter opposite Gilmore going into the next season.

At the respective costs the Pats were never in on Talib or Sherman. Both were too expensive options. If you want realistic FA targets think Robinson (Eagles) or Robey-Coleman. The reality is that most probably we will draft a couple of DBs and then sign some bargain basement veterans as camp bodies / safety blankets.

Last edited:
Hmmm interesting...If SF would’ve actually acquired Talib, it then would’ve been very intriguing as to where Sherman would’ve landed.

Richard Sherman was right out of the top 10 last year (I'd say 11th or 12th) but after an ACL tear, he'll be sure to show some decline at age 30.

That's the second time in less than 24 hours you've posted Sherman is coming off an ACL tear, along with another post that said you 'know' it. Since the rest of the football universe is only aware of his Achilles injuries/surgery please cite a reputable source.

Is it time to start a Sherman’s a no good bum thread yet?

No longer the victory hungry stallion that we once new. A washed up, aged ex champion and a pathetic display of moppishness

Is it time to start a Sherman’s a no good bum thread yet?

No longer the victory hungry stallion that we once new. A washed up, aged ex champion and a pathetic display of moppishness
Here here

That's the second time in less than 24 hours you've posted Sherman is coming off an ACL tear, along with another post that said you 'know' it. Since the rest of the football universe is only aware of his Achilles injuries/surgery please cite a reputable source.
He ruptured his Achilles Sorry, I mixed up between Achilles and ACL. No need to be snarky about it

Last edited:
It's a gamble for SF, for sure, but good for them and good for Sherman. Don't know if it will turn out great, good, bad, or very bad, but it was worth the dice roll. They need to get those fans energized and I like the moves they're making.

SF and the Rams competing for that division title?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes