PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shane Vereen.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kid~Brady

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Could he be our most dangerous weapon this year?

Shane Vereen has the speed, quickness and agility to thrive either as a receiver or as a deceptive runner on draws and delays. His unique skill set allows the Patriots to employ a different style of offense, which complicates matters for opponents.

We all know the workhorse and grinder that Ridley is. We also know how much of an impact that LeGarrette Blount can make on this team. The guy's huge and agile with power and speed. We witnessed this on that 51-yard TD last week.

But Vareen is the more versatile of them all in my opinion. His speed makes him very deceptive, also witnessed Friday with that fade pass from Brady for a TD. Not only a prototypical third-down back, he can line up at receiver or take the hand-off. I think with Gronk back, so much attention being paid to Ridley after his break out season coupled with the brute force of Blount, Vareen could easily be our most dangerous player.

Thoughts?

Re: Shane Vareen.....

I'll be happy if he makes 16 games, which I think he can do.. And with that, I think people will be very happy with his production in our system.

This the way the NFL is going.

All offenses will need "skill position" type guys.

Tavon Austin going so high is a good indication.

I love Vereen, he is on my fantasy team. But, we really have not heard much about him at camp. Compared to the WRs and Sudfield, Vereen or any of the running backs for that matter have been conspicuously not written about.

That doesn't mean I do not expect to see a lot of the RBs and Vereen in particular, but still. Weird how we have not heard much about the RB group.

This the way the NFL is going.

All offenses will need "skill position" type guys.

Tavon Austin going so high is a good indication.

Austin hasn't played a down in the NFL, I would wait until anointing him anything but potential in a small package.

It really isn't that difficult to spell out Vereen.

conan_spaz.gif

I've been pimping this guy since before he was drafted but he hasn't produced. He looks good on paper but it hasn't translated to the field for some reason. He may step it up this year but I'm not expecting huge production. Certainly won't be the most dangerous weapon.

To nitpick the OP, he really doesn't have great speed. I think he's something like a 4.5 guy. Can someone confirm?

Austin hasn't played a down in the NFL, I would wait until anointing him anything but potential in a small package.

:confused:

Who cares how if he's never played a down.

What does that have to do with his draft position?

The direction is towards finding "skill position" players with "scheme versatility" and are "match up nightmares".

If this comes to fruition, the evaluation process is different vs a standard RB.

I love Vereen, he is on my fantasy team. But, we really have not heard much about him at camp. Compared to the WRs and Sudfield, Vereen or any of the running backs for that matter have been conspicuously not written about.

That doesn't mean I do not expect to see a lot of the RBs and Vereen in particular, but still. Weird how we have not heard much about the RB group.

And this is my underlying point. No one schemes for him as much as the others, especially when Gronk returns. He's that slippery snake that burns you after you forget about him.

It really isn't that difficult to spell out Vereen.

conan_spaz.gif

Lol, sorry. Oversight on my part. Congrats on correcting my mispell.

Thanks my grammatically sound friend.

I've been pimping this guy since before he was drafted but he hasn't produced. He looks good on paper but it hasn't translated to the field for some reason. He may step it up this year but I'm not expecting huge production. Certainly won't be the most dangerous weapon.

To nitpick the OP, he really doesn't have great speed. I think he's something like a 4.5 guy. Can someone confirm?

"Some reason"....= no Woodhead, no two TE offense, no Welker

True, maybe his speed is slower on paper but its sneaky fast, especially when he's lined up against linebackers and big safties.

Who cares how if he's never played a down.

What does that have to do with his draft position?

The direction is towards finding "skill position" players with "scheme versatility" and are "match up nightmares".

If this comes to fruition, the evaluation process is different vs a standard RB.

Kind of like Dexter McCluster?

I was saying this last year and Belichick actually started experimenting different roles for Shane last year ... he actually was our best deep threat.

Kind of like Dexter McCluster?

Sorta

McCluster wasn't drafted this year.

Three years ago, nobody heard of the two TE offense.

Notice what's developing on that front.

It's good to be a all world receiving RB but if you can't Block it's all for naught.
Lets just hope Shane Vereen brings Kevin Faulk like Blocking to the table.

"Some reason"....= no Woodhead, no two TE offense, no Welker

Welker prevented Vereen from being productive? If Amendola produces at the same level as Welker does that mean Vereen won't produce again this year?

How do you know the Pats won't use a two TE offense when Gronk is healthy?

Sorta

McCluster wasn't drafted this year.

Three years ago, nobody heard of the two TE offense.

Notice what's developing on that front.

Is Austin a slot receiver or an outside receiver? He seems very similar to Santana Moss. Either way, I see nothing very revolutionary about Austin or him playing in a 2 TE offense.

McCluster was supposed to be the guy that you could play at WR or RB...a revolutionary dude....not so much in the end. Size does matter.

Welker prevented Vereen from being productive? If Amendola produces at the same level as Welker does that mean Vereen won't produce again this year?

How do you know the Pats won't use a two TE offense when Gronk is healthy?

Exactly what part of the "major parts from the 2012 offense are no longer here" isn't realized?

Our two TE offense was based Gronk AND Hernandez. Call it a hunch...but with Hernandez in prison and Gronk uncertain....two TE's might not be as prominent.

How many snaps should Gronk take?

Who is inline for the Woodhead snaps?

Why three new prototype WR's?

Has the offense not continually evolved through the years?

The last two Lombardi's are not in Foxborough due to over dependence on both TE's.......you didn't think BB would adjust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back