PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Expect Pats to Keep Garoppolo Beyond 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it matter that JG only lasted six quarters before getting injured?

Only until Brissette lights it up during the preseason. :D

I told everyone this would be the case way back in September of last year. Schefter has been behind on this story. He needs to step his game up.

If you read the tea leaves, it's becoming more and more likely that Brady has at least hinted that 2017 will be his last ride. Everything we've seen transpire and have heard is pointing toward that being the case (assuming Schefter is correct again).

I haven't seen a single such thing. But please elaborate on a handful of those "hints" because all I have read is him continuously talking about the magic age of 45.

Similarly, we also have the email from the Deflategate dump to his dad where he was talking about playing to about when he is 45. And that email was never meant to be seen publicly so why wouldn't he be sincere there.

I haven't seen a single such thing. But please elaborate on a handful of those "hints" because all I have read is him continuously talking about the magic age of 45.

Similarly, we also have the email from the Deflategate dump to his dad where he was talking about playing to about when he is 45. And that email was never meant to be seen publicly so why wouldn't he be sincere there.

That was years ago he sent that email. A lot has changed since then - he became the GOAT with two more rings, his wife is starting to speak out, his body is older and has taken more punishment, etc. And we don't know if he continues to feel that way, especially after giselle's comments. His heart might be willing but his body and his family might be telling him something different.

Besides, playing on the pats until he's 45 is not solely up to him. Pats have to want to keep him around too.

Last edited:
Hard to come to grips with, man. It's going to REALLY suck watching #12 walk out that door. If they win the Super Bowl again this year and he announces that he's retiring, it will ruin the Super Bowl win for me. But it is what it is. Father Time is undefeated. People seem to be stuck on whether or not the team will screw him but, as has already been mentioned, they were working on an extension for him until that talk died down. If I had to guess, I'd say there is a damn good reason for that and that it was talked about behind the scenes. Unfortunately, all signs are pointing to the fact that this is Brady's last. I sincerely hope that's not the case, but it's hard not to imagine it.
I'd rather this be Brady's retirement season than watching him wear another uniform. That would really make me sick. I could cope with Brady winning a Super Bowl and hanging up the cleats.

That way we have what could be a damn good QB step in and continue the success without sending Brady elsewhere.

Not saying it is even a possibility, but something interesting:

The 49ers are building a filthy defense. Armstead, Buckner, & Thomas are all blue chip type DLs with Bowman/Thomas behind them. The Seahawks/Cardinals windows have about one year left & the 49ers have 50+ million cap space next season.

The timelines are aligning pretty well if Brady ever wanted to play for his hometown team. He could recruit Edelman and others such as Pryor or Jeffrey there. Darnold/Rosen could learn behind Brady for 1-2 years.

If BB ever wanted to move on to Garoppolo there is a clear team for Brady. I think that's probably the only team we'd be able to understand seeing him in a different uniform.

I would have strongly disagreed with this a few months ago, but I've gradually changed my opinion and agree with Schefter that Garroppolo is the QB of the future.

I've changed my mind because:

1) They could have traded Jimmy for an early to mid first round pick and more and chose not to. I fully expected that to happen (at least until about a month before the draft when so many credible rumors said otherwise.) We could have addressed weaknesses such as an edge rusher. The Patriots could have helped the team by doing so and signed a guy like Fitzpatrick to have as a respectable backup.

2) We still have a lot of salary cap space available which can be carried over to 2018 which will go a long way to carrying a second highly paid QB. Whether that means Jimmy is franchised or signed to a longer deal, the team will be able to financially afford both at least in the short term.

3) Belichick always trades away a player a year early rather than a year late. Enough said about that.

4) This is the biggest reason. Giselle's comments. She's clearly concerned about him. A wife's opinion and concerns go a long way. While I don't think she should made those comments publicly, they are clearly coming from the right place. Brady is richer than rich and is unquestionably the greatest ever. What's more important? Proving you can play into your mid forties or taking care of your physical and mental health and appeasing your loving wife and family? We all know Brady is a family guy.

4) This is the biggest reason. Giselle's comments. She's clearly concerned about him. A wife's opinion and concerns go a long way. While I don't think she should made those comments publicly, they are clearly coming from the right place. Brady is richer than rich and is unquestionably the greatest ever. What's more important? Proving you can play into your mid forties or taking care of your physical and mental health and appeasing your loving wife and family? We all know Brady is a family guy.

Her comments have been so important and influential that Brady's talking about playing even longer.

Hard to come to grips with, man. It's going to REALLY suck watching #12 walk out that door. If they win the Super Bowl again this year and he announces that he's retiring, it will ruin the Super Bowl win for me. But it is what it is. Father Time is undefeated. People seem to be stuck on whether or not the team will screw him but, as has already been mentioned, they were working on an extension for him until that talk died down. If I had to guess, I'd say there is a damn good reason for that and that it was talked about behind the scenes. Unfortunately, all signs are pointing to the fact that this is Brady's last. I sincerely hope that's not the case, but it's hard not to imagine it.

I'm not sold on 2017 being Brady's last, I think he'll want to at least *try* to pass Manning in yards. 2018 seems feasible, though. We franchise Jimmy for that year, Brady plays and then rides off into the sunset. Not to another team.

Right. RIGHT?!

I really don't want to see Tom in another jersey, I think it will kill me.

That was before his wife came public with her concussion concerns and general concerns over his long-term health. That was actually a good two years. I know it's hard to believe, but plans can, and frequently do, change for people. Further, Brady would absolutely use the "45" comment over and over again even if he planned on retiring in order to take the spotlight off of him and a potential retirement tour. This is not a guy that is just going to up and say "yeah, this is my last ride. Everyone, let's pay attention to me". We, as fans, likely won't know it until actually happens. The Patriots will know well before then... if they don't already. But I don't understand how anyone can look at the following:

1. Wife/mother of child asks him to retire post-Super Bowl.

2. Team engages in extension talks with him before those ultimately die.

3. Team keeps Garoppolo and, per the man that has been right the entire time, plans to keep him after 2017.

4. Wife/mother of child goes to the media and expresses concerns over his long-term health.

...and be extremely confident that Brady is in the team's plans for five more years.

Her comments have been so important and influential that Brady's talking about playing even longer.

It's true that he's saying that publicly, but behind closed doors, I'd be surprised if her concerns aren't weighing on him. He's been through a lot the last couple of years with his mother's cancer. While that's a different matter than brain inuries, it must bring long term health issues to his conscience and how it effects family.

2017: Brady 36 tds, 6 ints, SB repeat
2018: Brady 32 tds, 9 ints, SB 3peat
2019: Brady retires, JG takes over

belichick.png

That was years ago he sent that email.
To say it "was years ago" is technically accurate but potentially quite misleading. You make it sound like it was 6, 7, 8 years ago. I was 2 1/2 years ago.
A lot has changed since then - he became the GOAT with two more rings, his wife is starting to speak out, his body is older and has taken more punishment, etc. And we don't know if he continues to feel that way, especially after giselle's comments. His heart might be willing but his body and his family might be telling him something different.
He neither looks, acts nor plays like a QB tired of the physical punishment.

Here's what I think.

Trading Brady while playing at his current level does the following:
a. Creates a PR nightmare especially if he goes to a team and that team starts winning while the Pats struggle.
b. Puts tremendous pressure on JG from both inside and outside of the locker room.
c. Risks giving away a possible championship season if Brady had stayed.

If Brady retires:
a. JG gets to start as the next QB rather than the QB BB thought was better than Brady.
b. No Patriot fan or media backlash.

I personally think Brady will retire whether he has hit a cliff or not after this season or the next. I also think he has already discussed this with BB and Kraft. But BB will never trade TB to move on to JG.
It would certainly be easier on everyone in that sense if Brady did retire beforehand, but if in 2018 or 2019 Brady does not wish to retire, and the team can't afford Jimmy AND Brady anymore, then something's gotta give. Does BB lose an in-his-prime potential franchise QB for basically nothing just to keep a 42-year-old Brady for another run or two? I just doubt it.

Just because there would be media backlash doesn't mean BB's not gonna do it if it's in the best interests of his team.

3) Belichick always trades away a player a year early rather than a year late. Enough said about that.
That's the old cliché, but it really just isn't true to say he always does so.
We also know he is a tremendous competitor who has spoken time and again about his desire to play until his mid-40's at the very least.

On one side we have direct, definitive statements from Tom Brady indicating he wants to play several more years. On the other hand, we have a comment from Giselle about Tom's health, which has to be interpreted a certain way and twisted in a certain direction to conclude that maybe it might maybe mean that maybe Brady is retiring.

I'll take the definitive statements over the "if you look at it from this point of view" statement every day.

It would certainly be easier on everyone in that sense if Brady did retire beforehand, but if in 2018 or 2019 Brady does not wish to retire, and the team can't afford Jimmy AND Brady anymore, then something's gotta give. Does BB lose an in-his-prime potential franchise QB for basically nothing just to keep a 42-year-old Brady for another run or two? I just doubt it.

Just because there would be media backlash doesn't mean BB's not gonna do it if it's in the best interests of his team.
This makes a lot of sense. The only real issue is if Jimmy ends up not being a franchise QB (there is only a minuscule chance he even approaches Brady's level) at the level everyone hopes.
I mean look at the Colts and Luck. They got rid of an injured Peyton only to watch him have his greatest statistical year every (late 30s not 40s) and win a SB with the Broncos.
Most people thought Luck was as can't miss as possible and the Colts have not done that well with him.
I am just going to enjoy the Brady ride while it lasts. And if BB chooese Jimmy over Brady (probably pretty likely) I hope he is right (as a Pats fan), but won't be shocked if that turns out to be the wrong decision.
I agree with most of the other posts is that the cleanest path of transition is Brady retiring after two more SB wins and handing the reins to Jimmy.
If BB moves on from Brady after 2017 (without a drop in production) it will definitely be risky.

I'd rather this be Brady's retirement season than watching him wear another uniform. That would really make me sick. I could cope with Brady winning a Super Bowl and hanging up the cleats.

That way we have what could be a damn good QB step in and continue the success without sending Brady elsewhere.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about Brady putting on a different uniform, ever.

Gisele will see to that- a trade or even a cut would be the perfect opportunity for her to really step in and say "Enough is enough, time to come home."

That's one sack he won't be able to escape.

I, too, am in agreement that this is looking more and more like Brady's last rodeo.

I think Schefter is right here. The Pats have convinced me by their actions that they love Jimmy and they are keeping him long-term. And really, Brady is 40 years old, so it was probably somewhat foolish to think that Belichick wouldn't hedge his bets just in case Brady's ability does drop off. I don't think BB expects that it will, but it's a real possibility.

I am curious. What actions?

Not a critique at all, but with all the speculation on draft pick hauls that might have been offered in trade, have you seen anything that gives any credence to claims that would otherwise be base speculation (I am assuming that is what you mean by "their actions"))? Just curious, as I got a little tired of reading the king's ransom offers and demand of the Patriots that appeared to be no more than speculation, given the overly public nature of the Pats and willingness to open the doors to public scrutiny. Maybe something of note was tossed out there in all the garbage, so I would definitely check it out if there.

Those personnel/contract articles definitely have made me a cynic after the Mankins hates the Pats line, with him storming to Oklahoma, when he was 20 minutes from the stadium with the linemen pretty much the whole time.

Barring some credible evidence of the Pats refusing a major transaction of tangible benefit, I still see JAG as the one year deal as insurance in the event Brady declines/falls to injury. I absolutely agree that BB would readily lose Brady if his abilities decline, but I am not sure even he knows when that might be. To that end, IMO, he will always keep the most cost effective backup on the roster with another trainee in the wings to continue the cycle.

To say it "was years ago" is technically accurate but potentially quite misleading. You make it sound like it was 6, 7, 8 years ago. I was 2 1/2 years ago.
He neither looks, acts nor plays like a QB tired of the physical punishment.

Yeh here is a link of him saying 2 Months ago that he wants to keep playing until his mid 40s....so I'm confused by these indications of him considering retiring any time soon.
Kraft: Brady wants to play 6-7 more years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back