PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Expect Pats to Keep Garoppolo Beyond 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
If JG was going to go then he would've been traded by now. The Pats may try to sign him long term right now for a discounted price. Not sure JG's agent will go for that or not.

Worth noting that JG's agent is Don Yee, same agent as Tom Brady. It's a curious dynamic in play that bears watching for close observers of the team. Yee will know a good chunk of the Patriots' outlook with respect to one guy versus the other from the moment the negotiations start.

If you read the tea leaves, it's becoming more and more likely that Brady has at least hinted that 2017 will be his last ride. Everything we've seen transpire and have heard is pointing toward that being the case (assuming Schefter is correct again).

I'm not sure that's really true.

First off, there was talk of extending Brady yet again. It hasn't happened yet, of course, but it could.

Second, if you look back at what's happened this year, while they might appear to be in "win now" mode, they haven't really done anything that would risk putting them in cap jail mode in the future (except perhaps the Gilmore signing).

Worth noting that JG's agent is Don Yee, same agent as Tom Brady. It's a curious dynamic in play that bears watching for close observers of the team. Yee will know a good chunk of the Patriots' outlook with respect to one guy versus the other from the moment the negotiations start.

Man, that could end up being a conflict of interest. If he pushes the pats to name JG as the starter, it hurts brady, and vice versa.

Man, that could end up being a conflict of interest. If he pushes the pats to name JG as the starter, it hurts brady, and vice versa.

He has a duty to do the best possible for each of his clients, plus he gets 3% of each negotiated contract. That could be $500,000/year for Garoppolo alone, starting next year.

In most cases, attorneys are allowed to represent clients with a conflict of interest if the clients give informed consent. The attorney has to believe he/she can be a diligent representative for each client before getting consent.

This is definitely an interesting issue. I'm sure Yee and his agency have been thinking through the ethics on an ongoing basis - attorney/client privilege also would seemingly be at play here (e.g., Tom, Jimmy's about to be given an extension, etc.) I wouldn't be surprised to see JG get a new agent in the next year, or perhaps he really is confident in Yee's ability to negotiate for his interests.

Last edited:
With bookend championship eras, 2001-04 & 2014-17 (hopefully), I believe Brady could walk away on his own with little prodding.

Unless his "source" is the agent for TB and JG then he knows quite a bit more than the rest of us.
I think Schefter has a couple good contacts with the Pats, since he is pretty much strictly reporting news and not one of those media hacks who likes sending our rumors. Further, I believe he's been a media mouthpiece for the team at times. But I think you're right that his sources most of the time are agents, who I think he's in pretty good with.

I seriously doubt both QBs will be on the roster next year. If this report is true, Brady will be the one to go. Tom's father said it will end badly with Tom and the Pats and I have a feeling he may be right.

Jimmy Garoppolo rumors: New England Patriots expected to keep backup QB beyond 2017

Not sure if this is old news, but Schefter had some interesting thoughts on Jimmy G in Matt Miller's podcast yesterday. He thinks Jimmy's here for the long haul...and if that's the case I don't know where that leaves Brady. The pats really love JG's talent.
The Pats need to win as many Super Bowls as they can, while they can. That probably means maximizing Brady window. They will lose JAG. Pats went 42 years no Super Bowls, you need to get as many as you can with Brady.

With bookend championship eras, 2001-04 & 2014-17 (hopefully), I believe Brady could walk away on his own with little prodding.

I mean if they go 19-0, what else does he have left to accomplish? Is it worth it to go after goober's records? Probably not.

I think Schefter is right here. The Pats have convinced me by their actions that they love Jimmy and they are keeping him long-term. And really, Brady is 40 years old, so it was probably somewhat foolish to think that Belichick wouldn't hedge his bets just in case Brady's ability does drop off. I don't think BB expects that it will, but it's a real possibility.

They could tag-and-trade Jimmy but that doesn't seem likely since Brady is another year older and they've just got Brissett behind him. Maybe Brissett can prove to be a capable backup (I think he can be), but that doesn't help much long-term since every year older Brady gets, the likelihood of an ability drop-off jumps up. There's no one I'd bet more on for "beating Father Time" than Brady, but he's not invincible.

I think that they will trade Brady in a year or maybe two years (feels awful to say that), assuming he does not retire first, of course involving Brady in picking the destination and circumstances. Though, there's also the possibility that Brady will choose to be Jimmy's backup. He will have won 6 or 7 rings by then, and he can still play the game he loves without taking the beating he is taking now. His family is hardly hurting for money, so I can envision him being paid just a few million a year to be the backup, enabling the team to afford Jimmy.

I think a trade or retirement is more likely than Brady taking a backseat but I can see it happening. But I believe now more than ever that Garoppolo will be the starting QB within 2 years.
>>Though, there's also the possibility that Brady will choose to be Jimmy's backup.

Um.. no.

We are losing Jimmy. It is simply because of the timing. Brady will play long enough for the team to not be able to keep JAG. They will NOT trade, release, or bench Brady.

It's not a "hunch" to BB though. He knows what Jimmy can do way more than any of us do. He sees all of his reps. He will decide to keep Jimmy and move on from Brady if he believes Jimmy gives them a better chance to win, regardless of whether Brady is also capable of winning a Super Bowl. They may both be capable and it's BB's decision of who gives the better chance.

Yikes!! BB doesn't know what JG can do during a 16 game season, during a playoff game, during a game day two minute drill or if he can come from behind with five minutes left in the game during a Super Bowl. He doesn't know because JG hasn't been there. JG has played one and a half games. That's it. It is a hunch. Yes BB's hunch is better than anyone else's may be but nevertheless a hunch.

JG is potentially a great QB. TB is a great QB. Nobody knows how good JG is until he has played a full season and nobody will know how great he is until he has played multiple seasons.

Trading Brady to play JG would be one of craziest moves in NFL history. It would be stupid on so many levels.

For JG's sake he better hope he takes over because Brady retired because if it's because Brady was traded the immense pressure for him to deliver would be exponentially higher. Steve Young went through something similar and that's after he replaced Joe Montana who had been injured for two whole seasons.

Last edited:
Tom gets his last ring this season and retires to be Patriot QB coach or a Consultant on Offense as Josh gets a HC gig elsewhere............JG starts as QB in 2018........Tom gets quality home time with Gisele & kids.......Hawkins makes team this year , gets a ring and signs on as the WR coach next year......

I don't understand this "find a way" talk. Is Brady gone after 2017 or is Garoppolo agreeing to stick around as a backup? Two franchise tags for almost $50 million before Garoppolo ever starts another game sounds like the exact opposite of "making it work" to me.
is that even possible? So that would mean three more years of Brady, but cap nightmare.

He has a duty to do the best possible for each of his clients, plus he gets 3% of each negotiated contract. That could be $500,000/year for Garoppolo alone, starting next year.
Yes, he has a duty to do what is best for each of his clients, but it is indeed a potential conflict of interest when that which is best for (and desired by) 1 client directly contradicts that which is best for (and desired by) another.

Tom gets his last ring this season and retires to be Patriot QB coach or a Consultant on Offense as Josh gets a HC gig elsewhere............JG starts as QB in 2018........Tom gets quality home time with Gisele & kids.......Hawkins makes team this year , gets a ring and signs on as the WR coach next year......
This directly contradicts several public statements Tom Brady has made on the matter.

Is he saying something different in private? Maybe, but I always considered Brady a straight-shooter and find it hard to believe that he is so adamant in public about something when his true feelings are something else.

Last edited:
For an average of $13M (less than $1M this year and Franchise next year) they can keep both through 2018 not 2017. That's workable, a second Franchise after 2018 gets more tricky as a backup.

Like everyone else I don't know what the answer is. But going into next year Brady will be 41, JG will be 26 and we all know how hard it is to find a top QB. So my guess is that finding a way leans more towards Jimmy than Tom after 2018.
I think this is reasonable. Tom gets 2017, and hopefully he is still himself, and we get another ring or at least an amazing chance at it. He could stay 2018 for a chance at another ring, we franchise Jimmy for 2018. Two more seasons for Tom and then he can retire, Jimmy takes over.

I mean if they go 19-0, what else does he have left to accomplish? Is it worth it to go after goober's records? Probably not.

Win another one. Unless you think he's tired of winning or enjoying everything that goes with playing football at an elite level.

I don't understand this "find a way" talk. Is Brady gone after 2017 or is Garoppolo agreeing to stick around as a backup? Two franchise tags for almost $50 million before Garoppolo ever starts another game sounds like the exact opposite of "making it work" to me.
The "find a way" talk is pure homerism at its best. It assumes Garoppolo is going to act against his own best interests to serve all things Patriot.

Franchising Garoppolo twice is the height of silliness. That still wouldn't prevent him from becoming a UFA in 2020 (unless you franchise a 3rd time) so we risk losing him after that.

What is there left to accomplish? Let me answer that question with another one:

Which championship is Tom Brady's favorite one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents