PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Expect Pats to Keep Garoppolo Beyond 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOWTIME15

No asterisks
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Jimmy Garoppolo rumors: New England Patriots expected to keep backup QB beyond 2017

Not sure if this is old news, but Schefter had some interesting thoughts on Jimmy G in Matt Miller's podcast yesterday. He thinks Jimmy's here for the long haul...and if that's the case I don't know where that leaves Brady. The pats really love JG's talent.

"Now, again, going forward, how is that going to operate and how is that going to work -- will the Patriots risk losing Jimmy Garoppolo? My own sense is no. They are going to figure out a way one way or another to keep him there -- whether that means signing him to an extension, or franchising him, or making it work. We'll see how that plays out. I don't think they are going to lose him. I don't think they want to lose him. I think they recognize how good they think he is -- many of us don't know that right now because we haven't seen him play on a consistent basis. They have. They've watched him practice. They've seen him in practice. They know what he is and isn't capable of. They are big believers in him.

"Again, I'd like to say this, Tom Brady, that Super Bowl was 28-3 at one point, and if that game had continued on that course, the offseason would have been dedicated to people talking about is it time to replace Tom Brady with Jimmy Garoppolo? When Tom Brady turned that game around, not only did he win a Super Bowl for the Patriots, he stayed off all the [naysayers] that would have come, I believe if they would have lost that game as decisively and as one-sided as it was at one point in time. He's 40 years old. He's going to be 40 years old this year and he is the greatest quarterback of all-time. None of that is in dispute, and he may play for five or six more years, he may do that, but the chances are he's not going to because nobody has ever done that before. I'm not going to challenge the great Tom Brady in any way. I would never challenge that guy ever, but Father Time usually wins that battle. If he can beat Father Time, he's ever more incredible than we think he is. We'll see.

"Again, I think the Patriots recognize they have what they believe is a commodity and a successor in the wings and they have developed him, put a lot of time in him. They don't want to lose him. I don't know how they work it out, but somehow some way something tells me they will find a way to get it done.".

Last edited:
I don't see how they keep both or why they would want to. To keep both puts you at such a disadvantage money wise. Either trade one or the other.

If they keep both and don't win the super bowl we will always think "what if they had another 15-20M to spend on more players... could they have tipped it in our favor?"

I'd hate to be in that spot and 2nd guessing like i think they do about 2006 where they got cheap with the offense and left a super bowl on the table cause they refused to pay for any decent WR.

I think Schefter is right here. The Pats have convinced me by their actions that they love Jimmy and they are keeping him long-term. And really, Brady is 40 years old, so it was probably somewhat foolish to think that Belichick wouldn't hedge his bets just in case Brady's ability does drop off. I don't think BB expects that it will, but it's a real possibility.

They could tag-and-trade Jimmy but that doesn't seem likely since Brady is another year older and they've just got Brissett behind him. Maybe Brissett can prove to be a capable backup (I think he can be), but that doesn't help much long-term since every year older Brady gets, the likelihood of an ability drop-off jumps up. There's no one I'd bet more on for "beating Father Time" than Brady, but he's not invincible.

I think that they will trade Brady in a year or maybe two years (feels awful to say that), assuming he does not retire first, of course involving Brady in picking the destination and circumstances. Though, there's also the possibility that Brady will choose to be Jimmy's backup. He will have won 6 or 7 rings by then, and he can still play the game he loves without taking the beating he is taking now. His family is hardly hurting for money, so I can envision him being paid just a few million a year to be the backup, enabling the team to afford Jimmy.

I think a trade or retirement is more likely than Brady taking a backseat but I can see it happening. But I believe now more than ever that Garoppolo will be the starting QB within 2 years.

I think a trade or retirement is more likely than Brady taking a backseat but I can see it happening. But I believe now more than ever that Garoppolo will be the starting QB within 2 years.

I think the pats will offer to trade brady wherever he wants, but i think he will choose retirement. Why play for a crappy team when you can live in good health with gisele and the kids?

I think the pats will offer to trade brady wherever he wants, but i think he will choose retirement. Why play for a crappy team when you can live in good health with gisele and the kids?
I'm inclined to agree somewhat. He loves football, but he probably loves his family more. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him retire and then become a consultant for the Pats in some form, before deciding on some new goal to achieve.

If JG was going to go then he would've been traded by now. The Pats may try to sign him long term right now for a discounted price. Not sure JG's agent will go for that or not.
As far as the SB being 28-3 and if the Pats didn't make any kind of comeback (which I think is ridiculous since they blew some chances to score. It's not like they didn't move the ball. Plus the defense couldn't stop the run and were exploited on a couple of occasions), would the Pats be trying to replace Brady? Nonsense!!! And that nonsense was proven over the rest of the game as the Falcons defense was gassed for good reason and it had to do with the WHOLE game, not just the last 20 minutes.
If Brady wins another ring and wants to continue playing but BB wants JG to take over then that will be one hell of a thread come next off-season.

I'm inclined to agree somewhat. He loves football, but he probably loves his family more. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him retire and then become a consultant for the Pats in some form, before deciding on some new goal to achieve.

What I don't get and will never get tired of pointing out when those stupid "trade Brady" discussions come up is "Where would he go ?"

What other team is in a position in terms of personnel, schemes and in contention for championships ? Apart from the Texans there is no landing spot for him. What's the point for a bottomfeeder to trade for Brady in his 40s if the team (and coaching staff) to support him is not already there ? Similarly, why would anyone in contention trade for him if the Pats don't want him anymore ?

There are just not many scenarios that make sense where Brady plays somewhere else. Even if McD gets a HC gig he'd still have to acquire the talent and rebuilt his future team to suit Brady's strengths while the clock keeps ticking.

The situation is so much more complicated than "hurr durr lets trade Brady". Given everything we know about his personality it is much more likely he retires when he realizes he can't play at the level he is used from himself anymore than stand on the field being a lesser version of himself.

Last edited:
As far where TB12 might get traded to? The only NFC teams I can think of that may improve enough to be a contender would be Arizona, Dallas (already a good team), Chicago (lots of injuries last year) or SF (doubtful as far as talent goes but it was his favorite team growing up). Not saying those teams are only a QB away but only that they would have interest. I know if Dak doesn't deliver this year, Jerruh would have a hard-on for TB12, especially only for a season or two. Just thinking some stupid things out loud (click the agree button for that one).

I don't know what is going to happen.

Here is what I do know : Indy traded for Trent Richardson. To suggest GMs outside of a few successful teams know what they are doing is dicey at best.

Many crappy teams would want Brady. They actually think they are close. Which is why they are awful.

If you read the tea leaves, it's becoming more and more likely that Brady has at least hinted that 2017 will be his last ride. Everything we've seen transpire and have heard is pointing toward that being the case (assuming Schefter is correct again).

If you read the tea leaves, it's becoming more and more likely that Brady has at least hinted that 2017 will be his last ride. Everything we've seen transpire and have heard is pointing toward that being the case (assuming Schefter is correct again).
Are you trying to make Patriots out of all of us?

I don't understand this "find a way" talk. Is Brady gone after 2017 or is Garoppolo agreeing to stick around as a backup? Two franchise tags for almost $50 million before Garoppolo ever starts another game sounds like the exact opposite of "making it work" to me.

I don't understand this "find a way" talk. Is Brady gone after 2017 or is Garoppolo agreeing to stick around as a backup? Two franchise tags for almost $50 million before Garoppolo ever starts another game sounds like the exact opposite of "making it work" to me.

Agreed. There is no way brady or grop will stay as a backup to each other.

The goal for each season is to win a championship and not to possibly win one over the next ten years.

BB manages the cap and personnel responsibly to give them a chance to win over the next ten years but the goal during each season is to win that year. Trading Brady while playing at a SB winning level is just ludicrous. It won't happen. You don't trade a known commodity for a hunch.

The question now is how long does Brady want to play or how long will his wife let him play. If that has been answered behind closed doors then JG may be on the roster for a reason other than insurance.

One thing I do know is that JG will never be as good as Brady. You will never see another Brady type QB in this league as long as you live.

For an average of $13M (less than $1M this year and Franchise next year) they can keep both through 2018 not 2017. That's workable, a second Franchise after 2018 gets more tricky as a backup.

Like everyone else I don't know what the answer is. But going into next year Brady will be 41, JG will be 26 and we all know how hard it is to find a top QB. So my guess is that finding a way leans more towards Jimmy than Tom after 2018.

(If Schefter is correct as he has been on this situation the entire time)

At a bare minimum, it's pretty cool that the team seems to think they have a second elite QB on their roster. I don't believe BB would keep Jimmy G this aggressively and potentially pay two QBs 45 million+ for a season if he projected to be just a good QB (Stafford, Cousins, Dalton, etc.). Although a small sample size, training camp, preseason, and the two games he played validate Garoppolo as a future elite QB. His skill set also matches our offense to a T.

A Montana/Young & Favre/Rodgers situation will work itself out. Probably the best problem in pro sports to have.

The goal for each season is to win a championship and not to possibly win one over the next ten years.

BB manages the cap and personnel responsibly to give them a chance to win over the next ten years but the goal during each season is to win that year. Trading Brady while playing at a SB winning level is just ludicrous. It won't happen. You don't trade a known commodity for a hunch.

The question now is how long does Brady want to play or how long will his wife let him play. If that has been answered behind closed doors then JG may be on the roster for a reason other than insurance.

One thing I do know is that JG will never be as good as Brady. You will never see another Brady type QB in this league as long as you live.
It's not a "hunch" to BB though. He knows what Jimmy can do way more than any of us do. He sees all of his reps. He will decide to keep Jimmy and move on from Brady if he believes Jimmy gives them a better chance to win, regardless of whether Brady is also capable of winning a Super Bowl. They may both be capable and it's BB's decision of who gives the better chance.

Schefter doesn't know anything that all the rest of us already know.
Shefter was the one who put his reputation on the line early on this offseason saying JG would be with the Patriots this year when everyone assumed otherwise. I don't know what he knows but he appears to know something.

Schefter doesn't know anything that all the rest of us already know.
Unless his "source" is the agent for TB and JG then he knows quite a bit more than the rest of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes