PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Ebron may visit New England

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good for him. That’s way out of our price range. Colts didn’t let him get to NE & I can’t blame him for not taking the visit with that contract.

Thank goodness. I did not want him here under any circumstances.

Good for him. That’s way out of our price range. Colts didn’t let him get to NE & I can’t blame him for not taking the visit with that contract.

Don’t we pay Dwayne Allen 7 million per year?

It was nice of his agent to immediately get the maximum amount out there. Everybody will forget about it by the time the real numbers come out.

Any chance Marty comes back, or has that ship sailed? I know some think it's a foregone conclusion he goes to Philly.

A third straight year Colts pays much for Tight End. Allen, Doyle, and now Ebron.

There is always a lot of confusion on this around here, so I’m just pointing out the formula you posted is not correct, not sure what authority gave it to you.

The one who has nailed everything when it comes to the cap for over a decade ? I even posted the link to it right over the formula.

Take it up with Jason_OTC and Nick Korte and their decades long track record of actually being spot on with all things draft related..

NFL Draft Resources and Contract Estimates

It was nice of his agent to immediately get the maximum amount out there. Everybody will forget about it by the time the real numbers come out.

Exactly. The same agent who threw NE as a possible destination out there to drum up interest. It never made much sense that we would be in on Ebron. We have enough WR depth and since he cant block at all he would be useless at TE.

The one who has nailed everything when it comes to the cap for over a decade ? I even posted the link to it right over the formula.

Take it up with Jason_OTC and Nick Korte and their decades long track record of actually being spot on with all things draft related..

NFL Draft Resources and Contract Estimates
I don’t have to take it up with anyone, it is clearly wrong.
Are you honestly saying that formula is correct?

I don’t have to take it up with anyone, it is clearly wrong.
Are you honestly saying that formula is correct?

I am saying I trust the people who know clearly more than any of us and maybe even more than Miguel more than your projections.

I can just envision his arrival in Indy. Welcome me. Ebron, decontamination is on the left, delousing is on the right. One we scrub that dead rat smell off of you. Suit up

I am saying I trust the people who know clearly more than any of us and maybe even more than Miguel more than your projections.
Can you think for yourself?
When we sign our first round pick our cap will be affected by their cap hit minus the 51st guy they replace, currently 630k. How can you possibly think it will be affected by their cap hit - 480k.
When we sign our 5th round pick and they have a cap of 580k, they will not count against the cap because they are lower than the 51st player. How can you possibly think that it will increase our cap by 100k.
They surely know a lot about the cap but they are undeniably wrong about this. (They would be correct only if the 51st player was making the 480k minimum which is not the case)
These are facts. They are incontrovertible.
Will you really go this far to refuse to admit you are wrong?

When we sign our first round pick our cap will be affected by their cap hit minus the 51st guy they replace, currently 630k. How can you possibly think it will be affected by their cap hit - 480k.
When we sign our 5th round pick and they have a cap of 580k, they will not count against the cap because they are lower than the 51st player. How can you possibly think that it will increase our cap by 100k.
They surely know a lot about the cap but they are undeniably wrong about this. (They would be correct only if the 51st player was making the 480k minimum which is not the case)
The rule of 51 says that the top 51 salaries count, in addition to all bonuses. As far as I’m aware, all rookie contracts have the minimum salary in the first year. Therefore, no salaries are replaced on the cap, but the bonuses are added to the cap. The bonus amount that is added is equal to the cap hit minus the $480k salary.

The rule of 51 says that the top 51 salaries count, in addition to all bonuses. As far as I’m aware, all rookie contracts have the minimum salary in the first year. Therefore, no salaries are replaced on the cap, but the bonuses are added to the cap. The bonus amount that is added is equal to the cap hit minus the $480k salary.
I believe it’s top 51 cap hits, but even if not that doesn’t say you take the player minus 480k.
The “-“ is the cap hit you are replacing.

It’s just like adding any other player, the net effect is his hit moving in and the 51st player becoming 52nd and no longer counting.

Andy - their site specifically states that it's an estimate, a short-hand quick generalized calculation. If you need to know the *exact* amount of space, you don't use a generalized formula, you work out the math explicitly.

Some teams like the Arizona Cardinals still have a number of the $480,000 minimum salary people hitting their top 51. Not so the Patriots, of course, because they pay more for the bottom of the roster players than other teams do.

If you explicitly work it out, assuming the cap hits are correct, the space needed for the Patriots draft picks at this moment is $1,964,677. The shorthand estimate formula comes up with $2,668,148. If you adjusted the short-hand estimate formula to reflect that the Patriots lowest top 51 cap hit right now is $630,000 you get $1,618,148 instead.

Are the differences between these 3 sets of numbers enough to get worked up over? Let the Patriots, NFL, and Miguel worry about the technically correct number. The key point behind the formula is to allow the average fan to realize that the Patriots really only need between $1.6M - $2.7M of cap space for their rookies, not $6M. *That's* a significant difference. Whether it's off by a few hundred thousand isn't important for the average fan.

Andy - their site specifically states that it's an estimate, a short-hand quick generalized calculation. If you need to know the *exact* amount of space, you don't use a generalized formula, you work out the math explicitly.
Ok, but I pointed out it is not the correct formula because there is always a lot of confusion on this. Regarding the patriots it is wrong.

Some teams like the Arizona Cardinals still have a number of the $480,000 minimum salary people hitting their top 51. Not so the Patriots, of course, because they pay more for the bottom of the roster players than other teams do.

If you explicitly work it out, assuming the cap hits are correct, the space needed for the Patriots draft picks at this moment is $1,964,677. The shorthand estimate formula comes up with $2,668,148. If you adjusted the short-hand estimate formula to reflect that the Patriots lowest top 51 cap hit right now is $630,000 you get $1,618,148 instead.

Are the differences between these 3 sets of numbers enough to get worked up over? Let the Patriots, NFL, and Miguel worry about the technically correct number. The key point behind the formula is to allow the average fan to realize that the Patriots really only need between $1.6M - $2.7M of cap space for their rookies, not $6M. *That's* a significant difference. Whether it's off by a few hundred thousand isn't important for the average fan.
It’s a difference. That’s what I pointed out. I’m not worked up about it at all.
Again, I am pointing out the correct way to calculate. Not sure why anyone would take issue with that.

This a thread from last year...didn't want to start a new one just for this.

Kyle Van Noy Claps Back At Pro Bowler Throwing Shade At ‘Patriot
Way’

f389f9a9eaf8b4fc3d7d4492be3aa7ca.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back