PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Ebron may visit New England

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colts aren't letting him out of there with a contract he will be overpaid even if it's just to spite us.
Brialliant move visiting the Colts before the Patriots by his agent.
A coked out Irsay may pay him like a top 5 Tight end.

The thing most folks have trouble wrapping their brain around when it comes to the Rookie Pool is that thanks to the 'rule of 51' it isn't a hard number. One of the best explanation I have seen is at OTC, you can find it here:
Explaining the NFL's Rookie Salary Cap | Over the Cap
Actually the rookie pool and rookie cap is a hard number, based upon draft slot. The impacts on the cap would vary based upon which, if any players get removed from the 51 calculation but its a minor variance.

Until the rosters are set in September the rule of 51 is in place which means not all 90 players on the roster but only the top 51 salaries (and all prorated bonuses) count towards the cap. And since the majority of draft signings will be among the least paid players they will not all count initially towards the cap.

Unrelated to that each team also gets assigned a portion of their cap that is specific to draft signings (i.e. the rookie pool). This is the maximum amount of money that a team can use on rookie contracts. This is usually set by the picks a team has heading into the draft:

NFL Draft Resources and Contract Estimates

OverTheCap estimates the amount of space needed to sign a rookie class like this:

Rookie Pool – ($480,000 x number of picks)

Or in our case: ~ 6M - (480k * 7) = ~ 2.6M
Except that many picks don’t even make the top 51. It used to be mid 3rd or so where the cap hit of a rookie was less than a typical 51st place salary but that may have changed

Actually the rookie pool and rookie cap is a hard number, based upon draft slot. The impacts on the cap would vary based upon which, if any players get removed from the 51 calculation but its a minor variance.

Yes, a better phrase for me to have used would have been effectively it is not a hard number in terms of it's impact on available space at this time of year. I wasn't trying to give a hair splitting definition just the rudiments for someone coming to terms with the concept and for that purpose that type of hair splitting might be a bit confusing. Which was why I kept it simple and included the link where greater detail is available in abundance.

Last edited:
Except that many picks don’t even make the top 51. It used to be mid 3rd or so where the cap hit of a rookie was less than a typical 51st place salary but that may have changed

Which is exactly what I said. Dont get your point.

Colts aren't letting him out of there with a contract he will be overpaid even if it's just to spite us.
Brialliant move visiting the Colts before the Patriots by his agent.
A coked out Irsay may pay him like a top 5 Tight end.

There was never any indication that he would even visit Foxboro except from his agent. If we were really that interested in him then he would have already visited.

There was never any indication that he would even visit Foxboro except from his agent. If we were really that interested in him then he would have already visited.
Hard to say its reported he would visit here in his travel plans.
Im much more interested in Breaux though.

I think if Ebron were cheap he’d be a good signing here and coud play well in the limited role he would have as a receiving TE and a mismatch creator. (The old murdered dynamic of do you defend like he is a TE or a wr).
But at a high price that limited role isn’t important enough.

And I think ebron exoects to go somewhere and be a #1 TE or #2 in a 2 TE base offense and thinks he is worth 6 mill + per year. He is to us, and Allen’s strength and weakness package is more useful on this team than Ebron’s.

You quoted me and did not mention anyone else in the reply. Who were you talking to?
Had the posts mixed up.
Your error was adding all of the contracts then subtracting. 7x480k.

That would results in a negative impact for a late round pick with a cap number of 300k because younding count the 300k-480k you keep the 480k hit.

Had the posts mixed up.

That would results in a negative impact for a late round pick with a cap number of 300k because younding count the 300k-480k you keep the 480k hit.

Am just quoting the authority on that, its not like this is my formula. Lets not forget that the first three rounds will cost more than 480k. It is an average to get an approximate amount.

Am just quoting the authority on that, its not like this is my formula. Lets not forget that the first three rounds will cost more than 480k. It is an average to get an approximate amount.
But it’s not correct.
Example 7 picks with cap #s of 2 mill, 1.5, 1.5, 300, 300,300,300
The top 3 would be the hit minus (roughly 480k). That’s 1.52+1.02+1.02+3.56 and the last 4 picks don’t affect the cap

If you do it the other way 6.2- 3.36(7x480)= 2.84 mill, not the true number of 3.56.

There is always a lot of confusion on this around here, so I’m just pointing out the formula you posted is not correct, not sure what authority gave it to you.

Had the posts mixed up.

How are you getting a $300k cap hit? The $480k is minimum salary for an active roster first year player.

...Again, if it had been Kittle in there with that supporting cast, think he would have gotten 63 targets?
He would've had a damn sight more than 10 catches, without question.

How are you getting a $300k cap hit? The $480k is minimum salary for an active roster first year player.
Because I thought he was saying 480k was the cutoff of 51. It’s actually 630k right now. ( will probably be over 700k by the draft as we add players)
So the real formula is:
Cap slot above 630k (which would gave been none of last years picks as according to over the cap none had a cap # that high) -630k.

The point is you don’t subtract 630k times the number of picks because most don’t have a 630k cap hit.

I have no idea where 480 came from in the original formula because that is not the number of the 51st player.

Good for him. That’s way out of our price range. Colts didn’t let him get to NE & I can’t blame him for not taking the visit with that contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes