PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Traveling to Buffalo - Pittsburgh - Miami is not a big deal at all, particularly since the Dolphins will be eliminated from contention by the time they meet. In the grander scheme, they won't leave the Eastern Time Zone until February, no matter what happens.

To be fair, the Patriots played a bunch of home games to begin the year. Steelers played a bunch of road games too.

Furthermore, the Patriots are traveling to Miami and Buffalo. Both in the same time zone and not exactly murderers row. They get two home games to end the season too. I haven't even gotten into the fact that the Patriots haven't lost a road game since Miami in 2015 finale. They look more concentrated and in control away from home.
Please see post #32.

Traveling to Buffalo - Pittsburgh - Miami is not a big deal at all, particularly since the Dolphins will be eliminated from contention by the time they meet. In the grander scheme, they won't leave the Eastern Time Zone until February, no matter what happens.

I think it's Buffalo-Miami-Pittsburgh.

I know they have been road warriors thus far but i would prefer to be home for the playoffs this year. It's still tough to play on the road in the playoffs even if it's a place like ****zburgh!

I know they haven't had a large sample size, but the last time the Pats won a true away playoff game (non-neutral) was in the 2006 at San Diego. I'm not saying that's an indicator that they can't win, just merely making an observation.

I thought 2015 at Denver was going to be a win, but that was a good example of how much home field can matter. I don't think there is any doubt in anyone's mind that the Pats win that game if they are at home.

Agree, if anything there might actually be less prep needed given the familiarity that the teams should already have with each other.........especially in the second Miami game where they JUST played them.

Also this was the first week they played buffalo or Miami this year... I don’t know if we’ve ever even come close to week 12 without a game vs either

This is yet another obstacle provided by the league, and I’m not one to whine about these things (ref calls, etc). It’s so obvious that it’s difficult to overlook, though. It’s also the main reason why I’m still hesitant to buy into the idea of a win in Pittsburgh being a sure thing, at least in Dec, anyway.

Belichick spoke at length about the team and coaching staff being exhausted after the 2 game road streak out west, so I expect the same after this upcoming 3 game stretch, particularly after having to arrive back in Foxborough from Miami on a late Mon/early Tues, then have to turn around and go to Pittsburgh after a few days of practice.

Yup, Just like Mara's NY Goodell's got so much national air time this year like they were World Beaters and relevant. See how that played out. Everyone got to see them self destruct almost on a weekly basis as I do here in NY.
Integrity.

I know they haven't had a large sample size, but the last time the Pats won a true away playoff game (non-neutral) was in the 2006 at San Diego. I'm not saying that's an indicator that they can't win, just merely making an observation.

I thought 2015 at Denver was going to be a win, but that was a good example of how much home field can matter. I don't think there is any doubt in anyone's mind that the Pats win that game if they are at home.
Well the sample size is 2.

Find it difficult to believe that this schedule is not intentional.. over the years of this great run, the games against division rivals always seem to be some of the closest as they all know each other so well, to play the Dolphins twice in a three week period then play the Bills twice in a 4 week period is absurd and stupid.

Goodell and his minions always try for some sort payback, fortunately the Pats are smarter than he is..

But doesn't that advantage play both ways?
Further, isn't a greater advantage to Belichick? The Patriots will play the same team twice in three week. The Dolphins will probably play two very different teams.

Many teams 'do what they do.' The Patriots seem to actively try to do different things to make it harder to game plan against them.
For example, defenses may prepare for a two-receiver, three-receiver, two tight end, etc. formations. The Patriots do very different things from the same formation, based on whether Lewis, Burkhead, or White are in. They can do very different things from the same personnel grouping without huddling, pounding Devlin and two tight ends into the line and flexing Devlin and Gronk out wide on the next play, forcing the defense to cover them with corners and placing Amendola and Cooks in the slot under a linebacker.
I don't really see this as a disadvantage for the Patriots at all.

A bye in the middle, two high-altitude away games scheduled back to back, all are nice schedule benefits. A Thursday night game in the first week is an advantage in terms of future short weeks, and a longer second week to plan for game 2. (Too bad they lost it - but that had zero to do with schedule, since it was game 1.)
If we are going to fuss about a bunch of away games stacked in the back half of the schedule, we should celebrate all the home games in the front half. Do the Pats even have a disadvantage playing on the road right now?

Oh trust me, I know......both to Peyton Manning (which made the losses especially painful).

Both of those Pats teams had been decimated by injuries. The 2015 team could barely field a full offense in Week 17 in Miami.

Both of those Pats teams had been decimated by injuries. The 2015 team could barely field a full offense in Week 17 in Miami.

The 2013 team was an inferior team to the 2013 Broncos, injuries or not.

The 2015 team (even the one that took the field in the AFCCG) was superior to the 2015 Broncos team. Peyton Manning was a shell of himself. I'm still amazed that the Broncos offense got enough points to win.

Oh trust me, I know......both to Peyton Manning (which made the losses especially painful).

The Pats lost to the Broncos in Denver in 2005. Troy Brown muffed a punt that basically lost the game.

The Pats lost to the Broncos in Denver in 2005. Troy Brown muffed a punt that basically lost the game.
The discussion was since 2006 charger game.

Yeah, I read an article once about the algorithm that's used to create the schedule. It's incredibly complicated and accounts for all the things you mentioned and has rules to make sure a team doesn't have 4 road games in a row, and things like that. It's a very hard math problem in the end.

The algorithm spits out the schedule and they go through it to make sure it doesn't have any problems. But there's usually something wrong, so they have to go through hundreds of versions before they decide on the finished product.

Yep, it's spectacularly complicated. Take a look at just the Patriots' schedule this year. They had to open at home to unveil the banner, and that had to be an attractive matchup but not a divisional foe or the Falcons. They requested the back-to-back Denver & Mexico games to mitigate the effect of the travel & altitude. One of their divisional opponents shares a stadium with an NFC team. Another plays in South Florida, and so for the past several years has opened with 2 road games to try to avoid heat and tornadoes. The AFCW was assigned by rotation, making for extra travel. The Pats are a major ratings draw so the league has to give fair pickings of Pats games to all of the broadcast networks, with lots of national games. National games make for short weeks, which teams try to avoid combining with long travel. Etc.

Now multiply that by 32 teams.

There have been genuine league conspiracies against the Patriots; I'm pretty sure this isn't one of them.

The 2013 team was an inferior team to the 2013 Broncos, injuries or not.

The 2015 team (even the one that took the field in the AFCCG) was superior to the 2015 Broncos team. Peyton Manning was a shell of himself. I'm still amazed that the Broncos offense got enough points to win.

That 40 yard pass to Gronk on the final drive by an absolutely broken Tom Brady might have been one of the greatest plays I've ever seen watching football.

That 40 yard pass to Gronk on the final drive by an absolutely broken Tom Brady might have been one of the greatest plays I've ever seen watching football.

Agreed, That game was testament to the greatness of Brady and Gronk. That might have been Gronks greatest game.

Yup, that was an insane fourth down conversion. His fourth down TD a couple plays later wasn't far behind. Gronk is an absolute beast

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST