PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
In general I understand your point but if the Steelers have a 4/5 home stretch now it means that at some point early they had an overloaded away schedule.

As others have said on some level the Pats put a constraint on the schedule makers by requesting the two west coast games to be put together. It sounds like a little thing but could have easily resulted in reshuffling of 4-5 games for a couple of teams given all the things that need to be considered scheduling wise.

Honestly the most important thing for me every year is just where the BYE is placed. If they wanted to screw us they would have given us that ****ty early BYE and not one right before the west coast trip. That is an easier way to screw a team than projecting that Pittsburgh will be in a close battle with us for the #1 seed in a league where many potential playoff teams have gone off the rails due to injuries.
Fair points, for sure. The placement of the bye was important, and may have been part of the agreement to play out in Mexico City in the first place. I don’t know whether those rumors are true or not, but there has been talk of agreeing to certain middle grounds when playing in another country, at least for the teams who volunteer to do so. I think certain requests can be made and we saw something similar in the UK game. Maybe that’s where the back to back west coast games (and/or bye) came into play.

None of that will make me feel as though an attempt at establishing more parity wasn’t the object in regards to the Steelers game, but perhaps some of us are just paranoid due to past. Goodell has been quite vocal about establishing parity around the league, and NE went on a fairly decent free agent spree in March prior to the release of the schedule 6-8 weeks later. While I never bought into it, I do think there was some legitimate concern about a dominant season, again.

Which is nothing the league can rig because the matchups and their location are set on a rotating schedule.

On a more general note towards the thread, complaining about a schedule is for losers and AFCN coaches. It is what it is and we will have to get over it.
I didn't complain about it. I simply asked the question, which bobbo answered.

the answer is: this year.

note that the patriots' span includes a bye at the beginning, which is 13 days from game-to-game.

the minnesota vikings have 1 home game in a 55-day period (includes bye):
10/22 ravens
11/19 rams
12/17 bengals

the eagles have 1 home game in a 49-day period (includes bye):
11/5 broncos
11/26 bears
12/25 raiders

the bengals have 1 home game in a 48-day period (includes bye):
10/8 bills
10/29 colts
11/26 steelers

the chargers have 1 home game in a 48-day period (includes bye):
10/1 eagles
10/22 broncos
11/19 bills

considering the top 3 teams by this metric have the best records in the nfl, i think it's a pretty irrelevant stat.
S

note that the patriots' span includes a bye at the beginning, which is 13 days from game-to-game.

10/22 ravens
11/19 rams
12/17 bengals

11/5 broncos
11/26 bears
12/25 raiders

10/8 bills
10/29 colts
11/26 steelers

10/1 eagles
10/22 broncos
11/19 bills

considering the top 3 teams by this metric have the best records in the nfl, i think it's a pretty irrelevant stat.
I simply asked the question, which you answered. I wasn't suggesting anything about its relevance, or lack thereof. But, seemingly since only 2 teams fall into that category, it's relatively rare.

Especially when that primary competitor is playing a 4/5 home stretch at the same time.

Including 4 consecutive games in primetime:
v. TEN, TNF (won 40-17)
v. GBY, SNF (won 31-28)
@CIN, MNF
v. BAL, SNF
v. New England, 4:25pm Sunday

Better for the Pats had the game been scheduled at 1pm. Might've put the Steelers at a disadvantage having to play in daylight for a change (vampire effect).

Find it difficult to believe that this schedule is not intentional.. over the years of this great run, the games against division rivals always seem to be some of the closest as they all know each other so well, to play the Dolphins twice in a three week period then play the Bills twice in a 4 week period is absurd and stupid.

Goodell and his minions always try for some sort payback, fortunately the Pats are smarter than he is..

To answer your first sentence question, once again, not "many." Now, here's some research for you: how "many" teams play 1 home game in 55 days?
I think @bbobbo answered the question fairly thoroughly above.

10/22 ravens
11/19 rams
12/17 bengals

11/5 broncos
11/26 bears
12/25 raiders

10/8 bills
10/29 colts
11/26 steelers

10/1 eagles
10/22 broncos
11/19 bills

Thanks.

Find it difficult to believe that this schedule is not intentional.. over the years of this great run, the games against division rivals always seem to be some of the closest as they all know each other so well, to play the Dolphins twice in a three week period then play the Bills twice in a 4 week period is absurd and stupid.

Goodell and his minions always try for some sort payback, fortunately the Pats are smarter than he is..
It’s not just us. It’s a new thing. They want division games late so teams have something to play for.

In general I understand your point but if the Steelers have a 4/5 home stretch now it means that at some point early they had an overloaded away schedule.

As others have said on some level the Pats put a constraint on the schedule makers by requesting the two west coast games to be put together. It sounds like a little thing but could have easily resulted in reshuffling of 4-5 games for a couple of teams given all the things that need to be considered scheduling wise.

Honestly the most important thing for me every year is just where the BYE is placed. If they wanted to screw us they would have given us that ****ty early BYE and not one right before the west coast trip. That is an easier way to screw a team than projecting that Pittsburgh will be in a close battle with us for the #1 seed in a league where many potential playoff teams have gone off the rails due to injuries.
Pittsburgh had 2 stretches with 3 out of 4 on the road.

I didn't complain about it. I
simply asked the question, which bobbo answered.

Which is why I put an additional line break and wrote on a general note. This was not intended towards you but towards people that honestly are upset about it.

I should have just made it two posts instead. My mistake.

Fair points, for sure. The placement of the bye was important, and may have been part of the agreement to play out in Mexico City in the first place. I don’t know whether those rumors are true or not, but there has been talk of agreeing to certain middle grounds when playing in another country, at least for the teams who volunteer to do so. I think certain requests can be made and we saw something similar in the UK game. Maybe that’s where the back to back west coast games (and/or bye) came into play.

None of that will make me feel as though an attempt at establishing more parity wasn’t the object in regards to the Steelers game, but perhaps some of us are just paranoid due to past. Goodell has been quite vocal about establishing parity around the league, and NE went on a fairly decent free agent spree in March prior to the release of the schedule 6-8 weeks later. While I never bought into it, I do think there was some legitimate concern about a dominant season, again.

I'm still paranoid due to the past

Which is why I put an additional line break and wrote on a general note. This was not intended towards you but towards people that honestly are upset about it.

I should have just made it two posts instead. My mistake.
No, don't worry about it, at least not from my perspective. I honestly didn't create the thread because I was pissed off. I heard Steve Burton on All Access last week cite the 1 in 55 days stat and it just struck me as unusual. I certainly didn't intend to strike a nerve, which it seems clear that I did. It seems to me that while there are plenty of folks who see conspiracy in everything the league does in regard to NE, there are others who always dismiss such ideas as paranoia. I was honestly just asking the question.

No, don't worry about it, at least not from my perspective. I honestly didn't create the thread because I was pissed off. I heard Steve Burton on All Access last week cite the 1 in 55 days stat and it just struck me as unusual. I certainly didn't intend to strike a nerve, which it seems clear that I did. It seems to me that while there are plenty of folks who see conspiracy in everything the league does in regard to NE, there are others who always dismiss such ideas as paranoia. I was honestly just asking the question.

I think the truth is that the league, its partners and the TV stations like attractive, meaningful matchups especially during specific holidays or special dates. Add in the odd requests from teams and the availability of stadiums due to other sport events, concerts or in some markets livestock and rodeo shows and you got yourself only so much wiggle room.

At least thats how I see it.

Okay so to your first answer/question, the Pats are then a positively affected outlier in that regard.

To the second, I’m not going to dig up math in that. It’s rare, I’m sure. But to your travel point, even with that (and w/o a stolen “home” game), the Pats have 1/2 the total travel of the Raiders. One team finishes 2 at home, other 2 on road. Who’s got the beef? Not NE, to my mind. If you disagree that’s fine, but of the many scheduling compromises to make, I find this a fair and positive one.

I don't think 5 away games in 6 weeks is fair at all. I think your point is based on the context that it's the Patriots and they should win but if we ignore who the team is I think it's pretty clear that a 5 of 6 away game schedule puts that team at a disadvantage. If the league truly believed in "parity" it would balance the schedule as much as possible imo.

I'm not a gambler but if I put into a points spread perspective I would guess a 5 or 6 away game schedule would add to the spread on top of the standard -3 points given to the away team. For example: -3 for the first away game to -7 for the 5th.

Lastly it's not so much the miles that are important to me rather the days lost due to travel. The Patriots made the best of it by combining two west coast games together but that doesn't vindicate the lack of concern the league had for a 5 or 6 road game stretch. As you said they could have switched the two Bills' games.

Very tough road schedule but it seems like this kind of thing is just one aspect that helps prepare a team to get mentally tough enough for a stretch run. I know Belichick took advantage of that aspect of it by keeping the team in Colorado and they've noted that it helped with the team building/bonding aspect.

We have been Road Warriors still undefeated on the Road. The NFL is a strange game, we all thought the Denver and Raiders games would be Tough even games that we could lose... we blew both Teams out I think we have the easier road from here on out. That said I think the Steelers are in for a rude awakening in their Division games and that one on the Road in Houston. Those games are not a given to the Steelers by any stretch.

Very tough road schedule but it seems like this kind of thing is just one aspect that helps prepare a team to get mentally tough enough for a stretch run. I know Belichick took advantage of that aspect of it by keeping the team in Colorado and they've noted that it helped with the team building/bonding aspect.

And that's why we have won so many games we have the Best HC in the Business in Preparation. IF there is a Team that can overcome it... its your N.E. Patriots.:cool:

Before yesterday's game, the Pats last played at home on October 29. Their next home game will be on December 24. I wonder this: when was the last time that an NFL team had one home game scheduled in 55 days?

To be fair, the Patriots played a bunch of home games to begin the year. Steelers played a bunch of road games too.

Furthermore, the Patriots are traveling to Miami and Buffalo. Both in the same time zone and not exactly murderers row. They get two home games to end the season too. I haven't even gotten into the fact that the Patriots haven't lost a road game since Miami in 2015 finale. They look more concentrated and in control away from home.

Well I don't think it's too big of a deal since there's no way around it, every team will play 8 home games and 8 road games. Having a lot of home games early on is not ideal, but one might think it helps in finding the team's identity, since you have one less obstacle that is the travels and 1 less day of practice in road games weeks during that critical time of the season. Let's also keep in mind the train of thought that says the first 4 weeks of the regular season is an extension of the pre-season in terms of roster building.

Now that's one thing, the other, about the possibility of the league making a schedule that doesn't give the Pats an easy way during the final weeks, why wouldn't they do that on purpose, they did worse things very recently. So if it's by design or not, I don't know and I'm not saying it is, but to consider this as a possibility seems very plausible for me. I think BB already operates on a standard that he expects this kind of thing, he shouldn't even bother anymore, actually from all things the league can do to force parity, this should be a very low item on his list.

I think the truth is that the league, its partners and the TV stations like attractive, meaningful matchups especially during specific holidays or special dates. Add in the odd requests from teams and the availability of stadiums due to other sport events, concerts or in some markets livestock and rodeo shows and you got yourself only so much wiggle room.

At least thats how I see it.

Yeah, I read an article once about the algorithm that's used to create the schedule. It's incredibly complicated and accounts for all the things you mentioned and has rules to make sure a team doesn't have 4 road games in a row, and things like that. It's a very hard math problem in the end.

The algorithm spits out the schedule and they go through it to make sure it doesn't have any problems. But there's usually something wrong, so they have to go through hundreds of versions before they decide on the finished product.

To think that the algorithm has a special "Screw the Patriots" parameter built in is Pete Carroll level tin foil hat paranoia.

(Not attacking Jackson2 here, just a general statement that applies to any fan base who gets riled up about the schedule).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST