PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Say Goodbye To Van Noy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, the idea that Van Noy is just a JAG is crazy. You can have all the speed in the world, but if you're bad at diagnosing plays, all it means you're going to get to the wrong spot really fast.

Van Noy is a playmaker.

And oh yeah, we're spoiled. Just because we had 1 bad year (12-4) out of 4 with this guy doesn't mean we chuck all the free agents over the fence and start over. You do what makes sense financially and you build the team back up again. This defense is actually good enough to win a Super Bowl. It is.

Ah yes Van Noy was such a playmaker for the Lions wasn’t he? Just another case of Pats fans overrating one of their JAG players. He’s fit nicely into this system but he’s likely to fade into obscurity with his next team.

Detroit was also the epitome of dysfunction. We've seen it many times in the past that even future Pro Bowlers and All Pros did not do so well under coaches who had their heads in the sand.

There are obvious examples in New England too. Parcells was great, don't get me wrong, but McGinest under Belichick was a totally different ball player. Gilmore is another good example. Belichick saw his ability, even though he was torched a lot in Buffalo. I could go on, but there are a lot of players who could be All-Pros on other rosters. Chicago is paying Akiem Hicks $11m and until this year, he was delivering.

akeem hicks?

he didn't even play a full season here ... part time help who had a good game or two, here and there ... outside of that, just meh

can guys succeed in other places ? sure... will they? only a handful have

I hope we can keep one of Van Noy/Collins.

We have Winovich and Bentley. Let them take on bigger roles next year.

I was waiting for KVN to make that big play against the Fins.. still waiting..

BTW - the Boogeyman thing is downright embarrassing at this point...

Are people here seriously considering Stidham as our starting QB next year? I mean, why not Hoyer?

Hoyer has a known ceiling and it's as a marginal starter. Stidham has an unknown ceiling (and floor).

Ryan had close to a pro bowl year but 2017 and 2018 were just ok.

Not sure he's a $10m year guy YoY

Ryan’s right on the cusp of being worth that.

He’s well rounded and consistent, good blitzing, against the run, has good ball skills/awareness, can play inside, outside, and probably at safety in a pinch.

Jackson is definitely better value at his contract. Not quite as well-rounded as Ryan yet, but already a superior pure cover guy than Ryan ever was or will be.

Last edited:
Instead of being focused on the next game, Boogyman Van Noy is bellyaching about his money.

Mahomes and Lamar Jackson aint scared of this defense.

And neither is Josh Allen or Ryan Fitzpatrick lol.

BTW - the Boogeyman thing is downright embarrassing at this point...

Yep. KVN has played well here, but, and this is insane for me to say, I agree with Felger ... KVN is a bit of an arrogant prick. The Boogeyman nonsense is exhibit ‘A’.

And now talking about his future while his current team’s season is still underway? Bleh.

For anyone interested, this is the easiest look at cap space:

New England Patriots Salary Cap | Over the Cap (click on the 2020 tab).

Some savings (from good players):

Hightower - $8.875M
Sanu - $6.5M
Chung - $2M
J. McCourty - $4M
Harmon - $4.25M
Gostkowski - $3.8M
Burkhead - $3M
Andrews - $3.4M

I'm NOT suggesting we will, or should, cut them all. But it's interesting that it adds up to about $36M in savings. That would put us close to $80M in cap space (somewhat fake as even minimum salaries to fill the roster would eat into that).

Bolded should stay imo. HT needs to restructure or he can go. Thuney should be a priority over KVN. This team needs capable OL. He's a great player imo.

Everyone not bolded should be gone. And I suspect most of them will be gone.

akeem hicks?

he didn't even play a full season here ... part time help who had a good game or two, here and there ... outside of that, just meh

Asante Samuel, Akeem Hicks, Logan Ryan, Trey Flowers, Ted Larsen, Ben Watson, BenJarvus Green-Ellis. Even guys like Jon Halapio, Daryl Roberts, Jeremy Mincey, Josh Kline, and Kamu Grugier-Hill have had solid careers elsewhere relative to where they were drafted.

Yep. KVN has played well here, but, and this is insane for me to say, I agree with Felger ... KVN is a bit of an arrogant prick. The Boogeyman nonsense is exhibit ‘A’.

And now talking about his future while his current team’s season is still underway? Bleh.

He is a two time SB champion and behind Gilmore right there with DMac and HT for this year's defensive MVP. Not sure what issue people have with him being outspoken.

KVN will end up being Jamie Collins 2.0

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

akeem hicks?

He played very well here. That's why he got a huge contract.

He's a good player.

But you're missing the point anyway.

There are a lot of players who don't do much at a dysfunctional place their first 2 or 3 years, and then later go on to become All-Pros. I just named a bunch of them, I can name a bunch more.

Ryan’s right on the cusp of being worth that.

He’s well rounded and consistent, good blitzing, against the run, has good ball skills/awareness, can play inside, outside, and probably at safety in a pinch.

Jackson is definitely better value as his contract. Not quite as well-rounded as Ryan yet, but already a superior pure cover guy than Ryan ever was or will be.
No need to sell me on Ryan. Always liked him. The question is/was he worth $10m aav.

Jackson and Ryan are different players and still on his rookie deal so by default he is better $ value

Van Noy has made alot of big plays for this team...but his time has come...buh bye...his stupid Boogeymen BS was the worst thing that happened to this defense

For anyone interested, this is the easiest look at cap space:

New England Patriots Salary Cap | Over the Cap (click on the 2020 tab).

Some savings (from good players):

Hightower - $8.875M
Sanu - $6.5M
Chung - $2M
J. McCourty - $4M
Harmon - $4.25M
Gostkowski - $3.8M
Burkhead - $3M
Andrews - $3.4M

I'm NOT suggesting we will, or should, cut them all. But it's interesting that it adds up to about $36M in savings. That would put us close to $80M in cap space (somewhat fake as even minimum salaries to fill the roster would eat into that).

Out of that group only JMac is most probably a goner. Burkhead seems like someone everyone wants to cut at some point but 3m is not much and when used at the right amount (and not injured) can always provide a spark.

HT, Sanu, Andrews (if deemed healthy), Chung and Harmon (both cheap) are also pretty much save.

Felger!!!!!!(!(!*!*

Losing to the Dolphins has made this board lose its sh**!

Van Noy has made alot of big plays for this team...but his time has come...buh bye...his stupid Boogeymen BS was the worst thing that happened to this defense

28 years old. To be replaced by Bentley, apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back