PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sanu explains why he was released

They started 2-2

Then went 2-4

Then 3-3 over their last 6 games.

Thats not worse. Thats equal.

Do your research.
We were 6-6 and then finished 7-9 with the only win the final 4 games vs the Jets. We were thumped by the Rams and Bills and Miami ran all over us. It was the worst ending to a season that I can remember in a long time.

We were 6-6 and then finished 7-9 with the only win the final 4 games vs the Jets. We were thumped by the Rams and Bills and Miami ran all over us. It was the worst ending to a season that I can remember in a long time.
2019 was just as bad.

2019 was just as bad.
Huh? We went 2-2 in 2019 in the last 4 with a huge win over Buffalo to win the division and finish 12-4. The 2 losses were both 1 score losses to Chiefs and Fins.

Huh? We went 2-2 in 2019 in the last 4 with a huge win over Buffalo to win the division and finish 12-4. The 2 losses were both 1 score losses to Chiefs and Fins.

4-5 in their last 9 games. Scored 20. Allowed 20. Offense averaged 15ppg. D scored the other 5.

4-5 in their last 9 games. Scored 20. Allowed 20. Offense averaged 15ppg. D scored the other 5.
That wasn't the discussion but nice try. I specifically stated the last 4 games as that is when Bills teams traditionally played their best football. 2020 was a complete collapse down the stretch with the team being curb stopped by the Rams, Fins, and Bills. If not for the Jets it most likely would have been 0-4. I don't think that even happened back in 2000 but I will have to check.

That wasn't the discussion but nice try. I specifically stated the last 4 games as that is when Bills teams traditionally played their best football. 2020 was a complete collapse down the stretch with the team being curb stopped by the Rams, Fins, and Bills. If not for the Jets it most likely would have been 0-4. I don't think that even happened back in 2000 but I will have to check.
You responded to my post in which I stated the 2020 team went 3-3 over their last 6 games.

You responded and said the 2019 team went 2-2 and was "better" at the end of the season.

You did not establish the goal post.

I did and you tried to move it.

The 2020 team was not good.

The 2019 team was not good over their last 9 games the record and performance shows that clearly.

You responded to my post in which I stated the 2020 team went 3-3 over their last 6 games.

You responded and said the 2019 team went 2-2 and was "better" at the end of the season.

You did not establish the goal post.

I did and you tried to move it.

The 2020 team was not good.

The 2019 team was not good over their last 9 games the record and performance shows that clearly.
I wasn't moving the goal posts, I was making a separate point about December football as the discussion overall was about coaching. If I am wrong on that point let me know as I did not read all the posts prior and could be mistaken.

What stood out to me the most about last season as an aberration from pervious seasons was how bad the team looked the final month of the season when the playoffs were still in play. The team was not competitive in 3 of 4 games. I can't ever remember that happening. The Bills game was probably the most eye opening as Brady OWNED the Bills and beat them twice in 2019 to ensure we wrapped up the division despite our struggles the second half of the season which has happened in the past too. To see Allen basically toy with us while the offense laid an egg at home was pretty much the "Dorothy, we are not in Kansas anymore" moment for me. LOL

Don't you know? That doofus is in the meeting rooms, the huddles, at practice. He knows it all.
Against Cleveland Jakobi Meyers got screamed at for not running the next progression on a route and was benched the rest of the game in favor of just arrived Sanu getting max snaps. Meyers was benched the next two games until injuries forced him back into the lineup, it can literally be seen in the game logs under snap counts... assuming you didn't watch the games... do you need a roadmap?

It would have been understandable for a rookie I guess, but AB did the same thing against the Dolphins and Sanu did it against Baltimore I believe... so there was clearly a different set of standards for who was wanted and who wasn't. Flashforward to 2020, Meyers and Gunner are both good players with the worst starting QB in the NFL... should have trained the rookies in 2019 instead of pouting about who wasn't there.

Wouldn't he have made more money working two years for the Pats at BB lower offer than part-time last year? I don't fault him for believing in himself, but didn't he lose a lot of money?
He was at $6.5m. Let's say the Patriots asked him to halve that to $3.2m and he said no. He basically was out of work or practice squad all of last year and just signed a $1.1m contract with 49ers for 1 year. If he had stayed at $3.2m and negotiated a 1 year extension at the same rate, he could have made $6m over 2 years and he actually made more like $1m for 2021.

Against Cleveland Jakobi Meyers got screamed at for not running the next progression on a route and was benched the rest of the game in favor of just arrived Sanu getting max snaps. Meyers was benched the next two games until injuries forced him back into the lineup, it can literally be seen in the game logs under snap counts... assuming you didn't watch the games... do you need a roadmap?

It would have been understandable for a rookie I guess, but AB did the same thing against the Dolphins and Sanu did it against Baltimore I believe... so there was clearly a different set of standards for who was wanted and who wasn't. Flashforward to 2020, Meyers and Gunner are both good players with the worst starting QB in the NFL... should have trained the rookies in 2019 instead of pouting about who wasn't there.
Jakobi had been with the team since training camp. AB and Sanu showed up 5 minutes before they were allegedly running the wrong routes. Also Gunner is far from a "good" receiver. He had 5 catches in 13 games.

Everyone dealt with covid, some teams more than others. Pats were not one of those teams that dealt with it the most.
I believe there's two things you can point to that are covid related that hurt the Pats. 1) League high 8 opt outs. 2) Loss of practice time mitigates any advantage that Belichick brings by leveling the field. Now, superior athleticism trumps scheme with less than stellar athletes. I believe that as long as covid doesn't cost the team the valuable coaching time, they will be better. Add in the new acquisitions and they should be substantially better. On paper anyway. The X factor being Mac Jones and his ability to beat out Cam before the season is lost.

I believe there's two things you can point to that are covid related that hurt the Pats. 1) League high 8 opt outs.

Wildly overblown, to put it mildly

It was 4 players who would have been lucky to make the team, 1 player who's basically a ST only guy, one player who was so sufficiently replaced that they shipped him out this offseason, one player who was replaced and retired this offseason, and Hightower.

2) Loss of practice time mitigates any advantage that Belichick brings by leveling the field.
Same loss of practice time for all teams, and how do you buy into that excuse when the team was struggling at least as much at the end of the season (after plenty of practices) as it was at the beginning?

Same loss of practice time for all teams, and how do you buy into that excuse when the team was struggling at least as much at the end of the season (after plenty of practices) as it was at the beginning?
Levels the field, as I said.

Levels the field, as I said.
Yeah, but it doesn't. Just as in most years, the better coaches still, mostly, had the better seasons. And, again, even if the coaching edge argument is conceded for the early part of the season, that coaching edge should have shown itself by December, after all the additional practices had been held.

Yeah, but it doesn't. Just as in most years, the better coaches still, mostly, had the better seasons. And, again, even if the coaching edge argument is conceded for the early part of the season, that coaching edge should have shown itself by December, after all the additional practices had been held.
I believe it's cumulative knowledge gained. Once those practices are lost, those opportunities to teach are lost and you are behind.

Yeah, it was a money issue, that was it....I think he mistook the paycut request wrong, it was. Hey Sanu, you are getting cut, not paycut.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back