PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sanu explains why he was released

Tom’s last FU to the organization was pounding the table for a Sanu trade.
I’m half joking
Riiiight. More like Bill put a list of 5 JAGS in front of Brady and said pick one and Sanu was the best of the lot.

Tom’s last FU to the organization was pounding the table for a Sanu trade.
I’m half joking
Bring that to the Tom Brady sub-forum before the snowflakes melt.
I'm half joking.

The week before the Sanu trade Jakobi Meyers came off a 5 target 5 reception game vs. the Jets. He was then benched for a career low end WR2/WR3 that’s game was never predicated on separation.

Besides drastically overpaying for Sanu they misevaluated their own personnel. Who knows how the season goes with Tom getting more work with the rookie. Meyers 59 receptions 729 yards 72.8% catch rate in basically 11 games is still more efficient than Sanu’s best season.

Did he say because he sucks? Because that is why he was released. What a huge waste of a 2nd round pick. Said it on the day of the trade and was very unhappy to be proven right.

People want to complain about crappy 2nd round picks...this was the worst one because we already knew he sucked and there was no mystery there

Bill was not going to pay for a top receiver. That's always been the issue. What did we offer Cooks? $9 mil? A joke.

Bill does not value or understand the WR position at all. Here is the WR rankings for this season. We come in at #26 and this was during an off season where we had money to burn.

The story about Bill thinking that it would be better to get John Baldwin at where he was projected to go in the draft instead of Julio sums it all up as far as I am concerned. He would rather pay an average to below average receiver less than have a superstar and have to pay up. That may have worked when you had the greatest QB of all time but when you come back to the back at QB these JAG receivers aren't going to be lifted by the QB play. Had we had a legitimate number one receiver he could elevate the play of the QB.

Bill was not going to pay for a top receiver. That's always been the issue. What did we offer Cooks? $9 mil? A joke.

Bill does not value or understand the WR position at all. Here is the WR rankings for this season. We come in at #26 and this was during an off season where we had money to burn.

Understand? C'mon man. Bill Belichick understands more about football than all of us put together. I think he isn't about to pay a premium to the position, which you could say translates into he doesn't value it. It's all about managing the cap IMO, with a layer of wanting to coach guys he wants to coach. It's about value and production, always has been.

Don't misunderstand me, I have been beating the drum at Bill sucks at drafting and developing true outside the numbers guys for his entire career. Part of that is the rest of the league pays those guys premiums and he isn't about to pay a diva a premium when he can allocate that money to taking away the same position on the opposition by always having a true #1 CB. I think it comes down to 1) he doesn't want to coach those pretty boys that play outside the numbers and 2) He can spread that money around to other places and be successful.

I have give up on him bringing in a true stud wideout. It's not how he builds teams. He has a blueprint and a plan and, save for Randy Moss, he's not bringing those guys in here.

Understand? C'mon man. Bill Belichick understands more about football than all of us put together. I think he isn't about to pay a premium to the position, which you could say translates into he doesn't value it. It's all about managing the cap IMO, with a layer of wanting to coach guys he wants to coach. It's about value and production, always has been.

Don't misunderstand me, I have been beating the drum at Bill sucks at drafting and developing true outside the numbers guys for his entire career. Part of that is the rest of the league pays those guys premiums and he isn't about to pay a diva a premium when he can allocate that money to taking away the same position on the opposition by always having a true #1 CB. I think it comes down to 1) he doesn't want to coach those pretty boys that play outside the numbers and 2) He can spread that money around to other places and be successful.

I have give up on him bringing in a true stud wideout. It's not how he builds teams. He has a blueprint and a plan and, save for Randy Moss, he's not bringing those guys in here.
I don't disagree with your take here but let's face it, this "philosophy" only works when you have the GOAT QB. I mean Brady had to play with all those C or D wide outs and make hay with slot receivers and TEs for his entire career save for Moss. And this notion that ALL stud receivers are divas is a fallacy. Look at Larry Fitzgerald. I mean elite CBs get the same rap and Gilmore is anything but a diva. There are top guys out there that are not a pain in butt.

But to your larger point, Bill would rather spread the money around which worked with Brady. The issue with that is in today's league minus a franchise QB is you have to have dynamic playmakers because you have to score. The offensive passing rules make it almost criminal on a defense. Bill used to foresee those changes to the game and take advantage but he has not evolved into today's game IMO. I mean let's face it, it is ridiculously hard to ask your top CBs to cover 2 elite wide outs. And also equally ridiculously hard to score 30+ a game with slots and TEs.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with your take here but let's face it, this "philosophy" only works when you have the GOAT QB. I mean Brady had to play with all those C or D wide outs and make hay with slot receivers and TEs for his entire career save for Moss. And this notion that ALL stud receivers are divas is a fallacy. Look at Larry Fitzgerald. I mean elite CBs get the same rap and Gilmore is anything but a diva. There are top guys out there that are not a pain in butt.

But to your larger point, Bill would rather spread the money around which worked with Brady. The issue with that is in today's league minus a franchise QB is you have to have dynamic playmakers because you have to score. The offensive passing rules make it almost criminal on a defense. Bill used to foresee those changes to the game and take advantage but he has not evolved into today's game IMO. Do you know ridiculously hard it is to ask your top CBs to cover 2 elite wide outs?
I don't know, bud. I think Bill thinks he can be successful with a better than average QB, which Cam is not. Add to that last year's limited practice time because Covid and you take away Bill's biggest advantage: having players who execute the game plan based on coaching. I think we all put a much greater value on WR1s and Brady than he did/does. We've heard him say "it's a players game", and it's his job and the staff's job to get them ready. I believe he thinks they can do this with a well built roster and very good QB.

Dobson, Sanu, Harry, etc

Bill SUCKs at evaluating WRs

They were going all in to win in 2019 and give Tom what he wanted, if you have a shot at a ring then draft picks be damned. They reached for Sanu because AB shot his way out of town and Tom didn’t want to play with the rookies… even though Meyers had caught an ungodly amount of his targets to that point and looked like a young Sanu.

When Sanu arrived Tom screamed at Jakobi in the Cleveland game because he made a mistake giving up on a route (something AB and Sanu were both guilty of) and Tom wanted more Mohamed. Meyers was benched the remainder of that game and subsequent two games before Sanu got hurt doing Gunner’s job… which he was only doing because they assigned him the Foxboro Flu to fit Sanu on the roster.

Long story short, Tom should have listened to McD when he was begging him to work with and trust the rookies. It would have been the better and cheaper option in hindsight. Doesn’t really matter though because Tom suffered his second injury of that season against the Chiefs and the passing attack fell apart after that. If Tom stayed healthy and they won a ring nobody would be concerned about the draft pick.

I don't know, bud. I think Bill thinks he can be successful with a better than average QB, which Cam is not. Add to that last year's limited practice time because Covid and you take away Bill's biggest advantage: having players who execute the game plan based on coaching. I think we all put a much greater value on WR1s and Brady than he did/does. We've heard him say "it's a players game", and it's his job and the staff's job to get them ready. I believe he thinks they can do this with a well built roster and very good QB.
I agree that Bill believes that, no doubt. The question is can he? Coaching only goes so far especially when it comes to the QB position. And let's face it, Bill is limited when it comes to offense. Defense he is an animal, best all time. And that is where him and Brady were so good together. Brady ran the offense, Bill the defense. It is extremely hard to win chips without a top QB. Can we be a playoff team with an above average QB, maybe? Depends if he can be clutch and also stay healthy. But win chips? That is a tall order.

He’s good at finding complementary receivers but not at finding the game changers.

Only one small addition - he will bring in those guys when he can get them cheaper - as you said Moss - but also Cooks and Lloyd for example were much more in the true outside WR mold that he was able to get at well below "market" rate. That said the rest of your observation is spot on - it has nothing to do with "understanding". Choice? Value propositions? Absolutely, but understanding?

Why would he sign Moss or Welker under any circumstances then? Why re-sign Edelman? Why re-sign Gronk? If he's such an idiot about the ability for players to catch the football for his team then there's no reason for him to do any of those actions. That doesn't mean he's perfect either.

He has absolutely had miscalculations in applying that same system - he went too far in thinking he could make it more about cap value than production. He also had terrible luck (AB and Sanu probably work out pretty decently as WR accessions had there not been another scandal and an injury respectively - both showed early promise before those non-acquisition incidents) recently.

He also AGREED with many here that Brady's talents made LESSER WRs better further cementing that more talent risky, but pennywise approach.

He’s good at finding complementary receivers but not at finding the game changers.
And with a QB like Tom Brady and filling out the rest of a balanced roster that's historically proven to be an overall winning approach.

That some simultaneously tout what Brady brought and denigrate that the coach/GM leveraged that to great advantage over their time together is puzzling.

Cant get no satisfaction...cant always get whatchu want.

And with a QB like Tom Brady and filling out the rest of a balanced roster that's historically proven to be an overall winning approach.

That some simultaneously tout what Brady brought and denigrate that the coach/GM leveraged that to great advantage over their time together is puzzling.

Cant get no satisfaction...cant always get whatchu want.

Agree 100%

Brady + Gronk + Edelman = ~$40M
Rodgers + Adams + Graham/Jones = $75M
Manning + Harrison + Wayne = $65M

The list goes on and on, and then people wonder how the Patriots can afford to fill out their roster better…well, you need a QB who is okay with this arrangement and a coach/GM who sees the value in it.

Which is why I keep bringing up the Chiefs are about to pay Mahomes, Kelce, and Hill around $80M, and will be putting another $35M into their left guard and left tackle.

Brady can make guys better and improve the o-line by his skills. So can Manning, Mahomes, etc. Belichick is the only GM who takes advantage of this.

I think Bill did many great things…I denigrate his 2017-present disaster of personnel handling and a botched rebuild, but there’s no question he’s been very important to 6 Super Bowls.

Sanu seems like he has his head on straight. Very fair response from him. To bad he sucked when he played for us.

Only one small addition - he will bring in those guys when he can get them cheaper - as you said Moss - but also Cooks and Lloyd for example were much more in the true outside WR mold that he was able to get at well below "market" rate. That said the rest of your observation is spot on - it has nothing to do with "understanding". Choice? Value propositions? Absolutely, but understanding?

Why would he sign Moss or Welker under any circumstances then? Why re-sign Edelman? Why re-sign Gronk? If he's such an idiot about the ability for players to catch the football for his team then there's no reason for him to do any of those actions. That doesn't mean he's perfect either.

He has absolutely had miscalculations in applying that same system - he went too far in thinking he could make it more about cap value than production. He also had terrible luck (AB and Sanu probably work out pretty decently as WR accessions had there not been another scandal and an injury respectively - both showed early promise before those non-acquisition incidents) recently.

He also AGREED with many here that Brady's talents made LESSER WRs better further cementing that more talent risky, but pennywise approach.
@amfootball was talking about Bill understanding.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back