PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sanu explains why he was released

Who said that?

You kidding? EVERYONE said that!

To paraphrase: During this challenging season, no team will be better prepared to adjust and adapt to conditions like the Patriots. They’ll have a big advantage due to coaching and game planning.

Vegas had their over under around 9. No one thought that was a 3-5 win team.
You said PatsFans - not Vegas, and there are tons of people - including many Brady acolytes - that predicted a 3-5 win season in here.

You said PatsFans - not Vegas, and there are tons of people - including many Brady acolytes - that predicted a 3-5 win season in here.

So if I link the predict the 2020 record thread, I’ll see a lot of 3-5 win predictions?

When you’re shown to be wrong about this, will you acknowledge you’re wrong or just deflect and move the goal posts?

"We were pretty heavily invested in our team in the past few years."

A great statement to dig into and examine. The question I think that this statement should invoke is "can an NFL team truly balance, in a salary cap era, fully stocking a current roster and simultaneously rebuild?"

Leaving aside the uncontrollable variables: injuries, retirements, suspensions, etc that cause roster holes in both the moment and across multiple seasons, can a team realistically, and repeatedly, constantly "reload" vice having to decide to reset?

If the answer is "yes" then wouldn't the following also have to be true - the team MUST hit on (skill position (incl T, LB and CB) starter in rounds 1-3 and at least playing/contributing backup for all other rounds) not just some, but the majority (say 70-80%) of all draft picks in at least every other year regardless of where they select; have all cap clearing measures (such as unscheduled renegotiations (a la Gilmore)), RFA offers, restructures, cuts, option years, etc) go the teams' rather than player's way; and all free agent targets must sign for (and actually be signed as targeted) what the team initially offers?

I don't think all of those is realistic (nor has ever been achieved by any other team in a "perfect" scenario say across a typical five year span where such "rebuild or reload" decision would naturally arise under the current cap and draft system).

In the cap era, most NFL teams are likely to have one or two of those "must be true" corollaries occur with an already in place core; however subsequent years quickly cause those corollaries to exert their force on any roster precipitating a skew toward either rebuild or reload - not both simultaneously.

Reality is more a choice constantly being made right after each season concludes - spend to the cap/trade for with existing stars/players/free agents "in the moment" looking to prop up a roster for the "now" with hope of draft success allowing you to recoup some of that if you do hit on some picks as not just starters but impact/star level immediately

OR

Clear up or gather resources (cap, picks, both) maximizing flexibility you sacrificed for talent "now" to reshape a majority of one or two phases of the team (offense/defense - I do contend you can reshape an entire special teams roster in a single year).

I don't think that, unless the QB and other cap crushing positions such as WR, play at well under market value, a team can balance both reload and rebuild and instead must choose which plan they will execute.
I cannot stand the "BB mismanaged the cap" argument.

I challenge any fan to call out any hideous, long-term, big money contracts for players who did little to contribute to winning Super Bowls and because of those contracts, hamstrung BB in 2019 and 2020.

Here…now let’s hear the words, for once: “I was wrong.”

Last edited:
You kidding? EVERYONE said that!

To paraphrase: During this challenging season, no team will be better prepared to adjust and adapt to conditions like the Patriots. They’ll have a big advantage due to coaching and game planning.
Based on a track record of preparation and thoroughness I think the NEP were in a better position than most teams. Because they kinda-sorta had their **** together early was a big reason why they started 2-2 and a play here and there and a healthy Cam vs KC could have been 3-1.

...but because of their talent level they went 5-7 the rest of the way.

So if I link the predict the 2020 record thread, I’ll see a lot of 3-5 win predictions?

When you’re shown to be wrong about this, will you acknowledge you’re wrong or just deflect and move the goal posts?

Did it for you. "Tons" was an overstatement, but it was not zero either. Neither of us was "right" nor either "wrong".

Pats win total in 2020?​

• 13+ and the 1 or 2 seed​

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • 11-12 Division winner 2-3 seed​

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • 10 Division winner 3-4 seed​

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • 9 Win Wild Card team​

Votes: 23 18.9%
  • 8 Maybe the 7 seed​

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • 6-7 Who's available in the draft at around 10?​

Votes: 30 24.6%
  • 4-5 Are we an Ohio team?​

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • 3 or less, Lose for Lawrence!!!!​

Votes: 6 4.9%

Did it for you. "Tons" was an overstatement, but it was not zero either. Neither of us was "right" nor either "wrong".

Pats win total in 2020?​

• 13+ and the 1 or 2 seed​

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • 11-12 Division winner 2-3 seed​

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • 10 Division winner 3-4 seed​

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • 9 Win Wild Card team​

Votes: 23 18.9%
  • 8 Maybe the 7 seed​

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • 6-7 Who's available in the draft at around 10?​

Votes: 30 24.6%
  • 4-5 Are we an Ohio team?​

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • 3 or less, Lose for Lawrence!!!!​

Votes: 6 4.9%

11.5% support the 3-5 win range, and you’re calling it a draw? You seem to only have allegiance to a stubborn insistence on being right and not accuracy.

Also, none of the “Brady acolytes“ are linked to that prediction as you said.

You were wrong.

Not worth discussing with someone so dishonest as to twist the argument from “they were a 3-5 win team” to this. As I said, you’d move the goalposts, and you did. True cultist stuff.

Here…now let’s heat the words, for once: “I was wrong.”

Your thread choice was overwhelmingly positive versus the more "anonymous" poll thread I found, but if you look who posted - none of the "Fellowship of the Miserable" (to use Rick Pitino's words) except Captain Stone posted. Yes, it was overwhelmingly 10 wins or better.

My being wrong in this proves what though? That the coaching staff for the Patriots sucks? That seems to be the only point of this argument to try and prove that the Patriots staff should be summarily replaced.

Not worth discussing with someone so dishonest as to twist the argument from “they were a 3-5 win team” to this. As I said, you’d move the goalposts, and you did. True cultist stuff.
The cultist calling the cult kettle is curious given one Ice_Ice Brady doesn't even offer a prediction in said thread he posted/quoted about the 2020 win totals - only posting about his own zealotry at the altar of Brady about the Bucs to win the SB.

If you expect an apology or acquiescence for being a Patriots fan on a Patriots forum you won't get one - also funny you think that's an insult.

Your thread choice was overwhelmingly positive versus the more "anonymous" poll thread I found, but if you look who posted - none of the "Fellowship of the Miserable" (to use Rick Pitino's words) except Captain Stone posted. Yes, it was overwhelmingly 10 wins or better.

My being wrong in this proves what though? That the coaching staff for the Patriots sucks? That seems to be the only point of this argument to try and prove that the Patriots staff should be summarily replaced.

It proves I had my facts right.

Goal post moving again: take focus off the fact you were wrong and misrepresented the overwhelming consensus opinion for the Patriots 2020 record - and instead point the finger at me.

How dare I accurately describe that almost everyone had them as a .~500 team! WhAt’S mY AnGLE HeRe!?!?

My point was that it’s disingenuous to make these types of claims in hindsight. Whatever the Patriots record is, just claim they‘d be 2-4 wins worse without the miraculous coaching staff. Isn’t that exactly what you just did?

The larger point I was making is that the Patriots finished at roughly their expected record. 8/9 wins was what most people thought…7 wins is close.

The cultist calling the cult kettle is curious given one Ice_Ice Brady doesn't even offer a prediction in said thread he posted/quoted about the 2020 win totals - only posting about his own zealotry at the altar of Brady about the Bucs to win the SB.

If you expect an apology or acquiescence for being a Patriots fan on a Patriots forum you won't get one - also funny you think that's an insult.

The **** are you talking about?

I put the Patriots as a wild card team with the #7 seed.

What an irrelevant point…and one that makes you look like a MORON. Because the Bucs DID win the Super Bowl! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Imagine calling person a zealot for accurately predicting an outcome!!! And accusing that same person of being a hater when he predicted the Patriots would do better than they actually did!! Wow, dude.

I didn’t post a specific record so your lie is all good? Now many ways are there to deflect? You were wrong. It’s fascinating to see just how difficult that is for you to admit.

They were going all in to win in 2019 and give Tom what he wanted, if you have a shot at a ring then draft picks be damned. They reached for Sanu because AB shot his way out of town and Tom didn’t want to play with the rookies… even though Meyers had caught an ungodly amount of his targets to that point and looked like a young Sanu.

When Sanu arrived Tom screamed at Jakobi in the Cleveland game because he made a mistake giving up on a route (something AB and Sanu were both guilty of) and Tom wanted more Mohamed. Meyers was benched the remainder of that game and subsequent two games before Sanu got hurt doing Gunner’s job… which he was only doing because they assigned him the Foxboro Flu to fit Sanu on the roster.

Long story short, Tom should have listened to McD when he was begging him to work with and trust the rookies. It would have been the better and cheaper option in hindsight. Doesn’t really matter though because Tom suffered his second injury of that season against the Chiefs and the passing attack fell apart after that. If Tom stayed healthy and they won a ring nobody would be concerned about the draft pick.

Wow. Did you kick your cat while writing this shyt?

Covid's not why they had the year they did.
It's a factor.
Just to be clear: PatsFans overwhelmingly said last year the Patriots would have a huge advantage because of superior coaching during the Covid season. Now it’s the 100% opposite take? Also, the Patriots start Stidham - not Newton - if not for Covid. They got Newton for pennies because teams couldn’t bring him in for a physical.
Conventional thinking would be they would have the advantage, but hindsight being 20/20, that didn't pan out.

It's a factor.

Conventional thinking would be they would have the advantage, but hindsight being 20/20, that didn't pan out.

True. I thought they’d have an advantage too.

It's a factor.

It was "a factor" for every single team in the league. The team who probably took the worst hosing, and the team with a legitimate gripe about Covid, was the Steelers, not the Patriots. The Patriots got off pretty light, actually. They didn't lose because of Covid. They lost because of terrible personnel management, and drafting, in recent years led to a relatively untalented team being led by a QB who was terrible.

Can't have this both ways, especially because the team was, at least arguably, playing worse at the end of the season than at the beginning. If they were going to have an edge in the Covid season because of BB's brilliance, you don't get to say "No coaching edge because of Covid!" when that brilliance didn't assert itself sufficiently for your tastes.

Unless, of course, you'd like to assert that Belichick did a ****ty job of coaching.

Can't have this both ways, especially because the team was, at least arguably, playing worse at the end of the season than at the beginning. If they were going to have an edge in the Covid season because of BB's brilliance, you don't get to say "No coaching edge because of Covid!" when that brilliance didn't assert itself sufficiently for your tastes.

Unless, of course, you'd like to assert that Belichick did a ****ty job of coaching.
They started 2-2

Then went 2-4

Then 3-3 over their last 6 games.

Thats not worse. Thats equal.

Do your research.

It was "a factor" for every single team in the league. The team who probably took the worst hosing, and the team with a legitimate gripe about Covid, was the Steelers, not the Patriots. The Patriots got off pretty light, actually. They didn't lose because of Covid. They lost because of terrible personnel management, and drafting, in recent years led to a relatively untalented team being led by a QB who was terrible.
Another moronic post.

No Squealers opted out.

It's a factor.

Everyone dealt with covid, some teams more than others. Pats were not one of those teams that dealt with it the most.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back