By that logic

Sheard
Long
Flowers
Branch
Ninkovich
Brown
Hightower
Collins (before leaving)/Van Noy (replacing Collins)
McClellin
Butler
McCourty
Harmon
Chung
Ryan
Rowe

were all starters.

Sorry, but you don't have 15 starters on defense in football.
Why not? Starter can be a pretty arbitrary designation at the best of times

Why not? Starter can be a pretty arbitrary designation at the best of times

If it's just "a pretty arbitrary designation at the best of times" then people should stop whining about how I characterized Harmon with regards to it.

Great move didn't like the alternative as in one Jordan Richards. :rolleyes:

Really good deal.

That's closer to a decent value. I thought 4 mill was pushing it, but thought he would get closer to 6 to start somewhere.
Good player to have back and 4.25 mill a year is not crazy.

He's the nickel safety, the S3, the backup. It is what it is, and it's apparently the new normal, because it's not likely that they'd have paid him what they did if they were planning on changing the system.
Maybe people would feel better if you called him half a starter?

Very Cool! Great moves with DBs.

I've been looking at him as a James Sanders 2.0

I know a lot of fans thought he was slow and not very flashy, but he was an integral part of our defense for years. This is a very important under-the-radar type signing.
I like Harmon a lot more as a player than Sanders. Sanders was okay for what he was, but I think Harmon can eventually become more dynamic and he makes more plays on the ball, it seems.

So assuming he plays every game it is goes from

3.5M, 3.5M, 4.5M, 5.5M to 4.25M, 4.25M, 5.25M, 6.25M.

I think he never sees the 6.25M.

So really a 3 year deal for 13.75 or 4.58M on average per year. Seems good.

I like Harmon a lot more as a player than Sanders. Sanders was okay for what he was, but I think Harmon can eventually become more dynamic and he makes more plays on the ball, it seems.
I'm actually leaning towards agreeing with you. It was just how I had to frame the deal in my mind. 4/$20mil seems on par with what a Sanders type is worth. I definitely think Harmon's ceiling could be higher.

This signing was a pleasant surprise. I think this is bb rewarding a good guy who is good for the locker room and the team!

Congrats to Harmon, he earned it!

So assuming he plays every game it is goes from

3.5M, 3.5M, 4.5M, 5.5M to 4.25M, 4.25M, 5.25M, 6.25M.

I think he never sees the 6.25M.

So really a 3 year deal for 13.75 or 4.58M on average per year. Seems good.

I don't know...Harmon might end up replacing Chung in a couple of years as the #2 safety and a rookie take over his original 50% snap role...and at that point paying 5-6M/yr for a starting safety in this league who is extremely good is nothing

Im really surprised that the Pats gave him that kind of money, thought for sure that he would get an offer like that from some team like the Lions.

Surpised they re-signed him. Can't open field tackle worth beans. Look at him in the 4th quarter of superbowl on freeman's tackle. Just stood there, whiff.

Epitome of a jag.

Surpised they re-signed him. Can't open field tackle worth beans. Look at him in the 4th quarter of superbowl on freeman's tackle. Just stood there, whiff.

Epitome of a jag.
Well good thing he's a free safety who's primary role is to prevent the deep ball and not a middle linebacker.

Great point. Safeties aren't supposed to be able to tackle anyone, i forgot that.
Oh I forgot his primary role on this team the last 4 years has been in run support near the LOS.

Epitome of a jag.
Those kind of misplays happen. Not everybody makes all plays.
Harmon is a jag. But he is our jag and a pretty good jag at that. He has a middle class salary. The strength of the Patriots teams comes from the fact that they have the highest number of middle level salary guys amongst all teams.

Wasn't he the one who jumped over Kearse in SB49? I have yet to see anything special about him. Awareness and tackling leave a lot to be desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes