PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sad to see BB's legacy ripped apart like this

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's also not just what Brady could do on field, it's his leadership. Doubtful we'd be so sloppy if he was here. That's a coaching failure.
I don't know...man, there have been some significant drops, mental mistakes in key moments, etc. Coaching is one thing but at the same time, players still need to pull their weight and there have been a couple who aren't, and others who have definitely been inconsistent and a couple of dependable guys who have even had untimely gaffes...it's really been a weird year so far.

But I agree, if Brady was around, they'd be at least 4-2. However, I do feel Agholor would be in the doghouse...I don't really know what else to say about him but I really hope he's not the same guy in December because so far, he's been frustrating to watch.

I don't know...man, there have been some significant drops, mental mistakes in key moments, etc. Coaching is one thing but at the same time, players still need to pull their weight and there have been a couple who aren't, and others who have definitely been inconsistent and a couple of dependable guys who have even had untimely gaffes...it's been a weird year so far.
Just so unlike this team. I can see why Edelman said what he said. I agree with him.

Reactions: Ian
I don't know...man, there have been some significant drops, mental mistakes in key moments, etc. Coaching is one thing but at the same time, players still need to pull their weight and there have been a couple who aren't, and others who have definitely been inconsistent and a couple of dependable guys who have even had untimely gaffes...it's really been a weird year so far.

But I agree, if Brady was around, they'd be at least 4-2. However, I do feel Agholor would be in the doghouse...I don't really know what else to say about him but I really hope he's not the same guy in December because so far, he's been frustrating to watch.
I was thinking recently, we have never gone out and brought in so many new guys. We had the money so I get why we did it. But so many new pieces trying to learn our system, culture and a rookie QB on top. Maybe our expectations were too high. I don't really have an explanation for the defense other than our vet players are just old and too old and not bringing Gilmore back was devastating to the secondary.

not bringing Gilmore back was devastating to the secondary.
I honestly believe they thought they were going to get something done there. The fact they didn't really changed the dynamic and now I'm also concerned they'll lose Jackson. That whole thing really didn't play out well at all. Worse yet, if they lose Jackson, they're really going to be in tough shape because it's obviously hard to find really good guys who can cover, which as we know is even more important in today's NFL.

I honestly believe they thought they were going to get something done there. The fact they didn't really changed the dynamic and now I'm also concerned they'll lose Jackson. That whole thing really didn't play out well at all. Worse yet, if they lose Jackson, they're really going to be in tough shape because it's obviously hard to find really good guys who can cover, which as we know is even more important in today's NFL.
Fans are overrating the loss of Gilmore. 2020 Gilly was not Gilly pre Week 17 2019 Miami meltdown.

I don't think the team was ever in the camp of thinking they would get something done. I think they were hopeful he would come around and accept their offer.

Breer was on 98.5 today and he was saying that he wondered if there has been a trickle down effect of that trade to guys like D-Mac and Hightower. Bill goes out and spends all that money and does not give a bump or new contract to Gilmore who has been an all pro for us for 4 years and DPOY. I can see that not going over well and it is interesting that the secondary has had its two worst games since the trade.

Fans are overrating the loss of Gilmore. 2020 Gilly was not Gilly pre Week 17 2019 Miami meltdown.

I don't think the team was ever in the camp of thinking they would get something done. I think they were hopeful he would come around and accept their offer.
It's funny, the reports in preseason indicated otherwise, so it sounds like internally, the belief was there, especially when he showed up in camp. And they didn't need him to be an All-Pro, they just needed him to be really good. However, I guess the question could be whether the amount he wanted was way overvalued for what he could physically give them, which I'm sure may have been where the issue was.

Again, I'm more concerned about also losing Jackson. Not saying he's at Gilmore's level, but this obviously isn't a deep secondary and I'm grateful Justin Bethel picked a good moment to make a couple of plays last week while Jonathan Jones was out with an injury. But I'm not confident in him playing a lot of snaps, at least not yet.

It's funny, the reports in preseason indicated otherwise, so it sounds like internally, the belief was there, especially when he showed up in camp. And they didn't need him to be an All-Pro, they just needed him to be really good. However, I guess the question could be whether the amount he wanted was way overvalued for what he could physically give them, which I'm sure may have been where the issue was.

Again, I'm more concerned about also losing Jackson. Not saying he's at Gilmore's level, but this obviously isn't a deep secondary and I'm grateful Justin Bethel picked a good moment to make a couple of plays last week while Jonathan Jones was out with an injury. But I'm not confident in him playing a lot of snaps, at least not yet.
Jackson is interesting. The cap will go up. I think other teams will view him as a #1. Pretty sure Bill does not view him that way or if he does, he does not want to pay him top of the market contract. Either way, the secondary has to be rebuilt next year. I agree if we lose Jackson to FA then it is going to be a long haul next year for the back 4.

To be honest I think the NEP have evolved into the Red Sox/Charles Steinberg media manipulation/propaganda machine and keep the lemming fan base believing something that is not true.

This is what happens when the team is in a trough and insecure.

"We want to get something done with Brady"

"We want to get something done with Gilmore"

I don't believe anything those two organizations say anymore.

As long as JC doesn't want CB1 money i'm all for him staying here long term.

I'll bet my bottom dollar they are loading up on CBs/DBs in next years draft.

Bethel is a STer. No need to be out w the defense for more than 2 snaps.

When the hell are they going to activate Shaun Wade?

To be honest I think the NEP have evolved into the Red Sox/Charles Steinberg media manipulation/propaganda machine and keep the lemming fan base believing something that is not true.

This is what happens when the team is in a trough and insecure.

"We want to get something done with Brady"

"We want to get something done with Gilmore"

I don't believe anything those two organizations say anymore.

As long as JC doesn't want CB1 money i'm all for him staying here long term.

I'll bet my bottom dollar they are loading up on CBs/DBs in next years draft.

Bethel is a STer. No need to be out w the defense for more than 2 snaps.

When the hell are they going to activate Shaun Wade?
JC will want top money IMO and he will get offers.

Wade has been hurt.

He wasn't as good in 2020 as he was in 2019 but he was DPOY. He was still a very good corner last season. The beat writers all summer seemed to be parroting the same thing regarding optimism a deal would get done. What that says to me is they all had the same source telling them that and it would make sense it was the team side and not Gilmore. Gilmore and his agent would have nothing to gain telling reporters they would get a deal done.

Maybe but Gilly on his worse day >>>>> Mills, SloJuan, JJones, and the rest of the CBs (incl. JC). You can't replace natural instincts and experience.

Maybe but Gilly on his worse day >>>>> Mills, SloJuan, JJones, and the rest of the CBs (incl. JC). You can't replace natural instincts and experience.
It is head scratching. With all the money we had to spend we sign Mills and don't get Gilmore done.

JC will want top money IMO and he will get offers.

Wade has been hurt.
JC will get paid and it likely won't be here. He has been good but I don't know if the team views him as a true number 1. In addition I don't know if he is a culture fit. His comments about Tua after losing to the Dolphins week 1 and then yesterday he posted an Instagram Live video of him sitting at his locker getting ready for practice which we know any social media posting from inside the building is a big no no.

It is head scratching. With all the money we had to spend we sign Mills and don't get Gilmore done.
Thats what annoyed me. We paid all this money to everyone else but didn't want to adjust Gilmore this year to get him on the field for his final year here. Even worse is he reportedly is going to play for the Panthers for the $7 mill on his original contract and was willing to here but Bill wanted him to take a pay cut.

JC will get paid and it likely won't be here. He has been good but I don't know if the team views him as a true number 1. In addition I don't know if he is a culture fit. His comments about Tua after losing to the Dolphins week 1 and then yesterday he posted an Instagram Live video of him sitting at his locker getting ready for practice which we know any social media posting from inside the building is a big no no.
I doubt we pay him. He will get mad offers because the league is so starved for top corners. I don't know about the culture thing but I will say a lot of guys have been talking this year which seems like a bit of a departure. Maybe Bill is loosening the reigns?

I doubt we pay him. He will get mad offers because the league is so starved for top corners. I don't know about the culture thing but I will say a lot of guys have been talking this year which seems like a bit of a departure. Maybe Bill is loosening the reigns?
Not sure if it's this or if guys are more likely to buck on a losing team.

Not sure if it's this or if guys are more likely to buck on a losing team.
D-Mac sounds so defeated.

They played the sound when he hugged Brady after the Tampa game and told Brady he always is rooting for him and that he missed him. Must be so tough for him to go through this rebuild.

D-Mac sounds so defeated.

They played the sound when he hugged Brady after the Tampa game and told Brady he always is rooting for him and that he missed him. Must be so tough for him to go through this rebuild.
I wonder if he is playing out the string and looking forward to retirement. His play has slipped and his contract is up and this rebuild can't be easy after going to the AFCCG every year of his career until last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes