PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Some Patriots Players Have Doubts About Cam Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't mean to imply that. But just because a kid looks better throwing in practice doesn't mean he's convince his teammates that he can do it when the bullets are flying for real. And I don't believe that the players that like Cam only do so because they think he's a swell dude. The shine is starting to wear off of him, but he's still a respected veteran in this league and players are not going to be so quick to just accept the new kid. If he earns it from them, then sure, but there's no guarantee he can do that before the games are played.

Agree. There is no precedent for a rookie QB coming in and seeing, for the first time, how to handle elite NFL defenses or crafty defensive coordinators, well enough to win a Superbowl. Mahomes and Brady sat a year first for good reason. Mac isn't Marino. This Pats team is built to make a run, not to rebuild just yet, so it wouldn't make sense to burn a year while a rookie QB makes every inevitable mistake and then waste maybe the last year together of McCourty, Hightower, and Gilmore.

Agree. There is no precedent for a rookie QB coming in and seeing, for the first time, how to handle elite NFL defenses or crafty defensive coordinators, well enough to win a Superbowl. Mahomes and Brady sat a year first for good reason. Mac isn't Marino. This Pats team is built to make a run, not to rebuild just yet, so it wouldn't make sense to burn a year while a rookie QB makes every inevitable mistake and then waste maybe the last year together of McCourty, Hightower, and Gilmore.

Agreed. And it's not like it's impossible for him to come in and succeed (Roethlisberger went undefeated as a starter his rookie year before losing to the Pats in the playoffs in 04). But there's a reason why Belichick has a ridonkulous record against rookie quarterbacks. Saavy coaches (and there are plenty of them not named Bill Belichick in this league) know what kind of concepts are just alien to college QBs, and they'll use them without mercy. Mac would have an advantage in that the OL and running game should be able to take some pressure off of him, but there will be times where our QB HAS to throw to keep us in games, and no one knows how he'll respond to that until it happens.

Winning a Super Bowl is hard, a lot of things have to go right. Dak Prescott's best chance to win a ring came as a rookie, but his defense wasn't particularly good. Having the best O-Line in the league at that time and weapons around him certainly helped.

I think the league is simplified compared to decades past, QB's get hit less, coverage rules are more like flag football. Justin Herbert had an amazing season and he wasn't supposed to start week one, a team trainer did the Chargers a solid by puncturing Tyrod's lung. I agree it's unlikely a rookie QB wins a Super Bowl, it's hard for anyone... even a ten year vet, but it's not impossible. If the player is advanced enough and the team around him is great, there's always a chance.

I think if Mac looks better than Cam in practice, the only thing that would have kept Cam in the starting role is if his teammates really wanted him to start. But if the team is behind Mac, AND Mac looks better on the field, I don't think Bill would roll with Cam for S & G's.
Do you think Bill cares what the players think? Not rhetorical. I don't see Bill caring, but I do see that Mac has to clearly beat out the vet. If it's close, Cam wins.

Do you think Bill cares what the players think? Not rhetorical. I don't see Bill caring, but I do see that Mac has to clearly beat out the vet. If it's close, Cam wins.

It's not so much that I think he cares what they think, just that a large portion of a QB's job is to be the de facto team leader. If the team isn't behind him, Mac will have a harder time doing his job, and I think Bill will try to have his thumb on that pulse. But I think you're right, in that whoever plays the best is going to start, because I think that's what the other players will ultimately value as well.

Teddy Bridgewater and Derek Carr are two rookie QBs who could have benefited from a year or so as an understudy before being fed to the wolves. I think bringing the rookie along slowly. 2021 is not an "all-in" year. Everybody understands this is a transitional year. from the Brady years to the next QB. Brady certainly benefited from his time with Drew, and Belichick knew when the time was right to turn the keys over to next guy.
I think Drew stepped right in as a rookie but I could be mistaken.
And Belichick only put Brady in because Drew got injured. He made Drew the starter, not Brady.
And even an untrained amateur like me could see that Brady was better.
And now, while Brady finishes his career in TB by winning SB's, we have a team without a QB.
And Bill adds to his under .500 record as a HC without Brady.
Brilliant!

And Belichick only put Brady in because Drew got injured. He made Drew the starter, not Brady.
And now, while Brady finishes his career in TB by winning SB's, we have a team without a QB.
Brilliant!
Shouldn't we see if Mac is any good before declaring we have no QB?

Brilliant!
Brady was in his second year. He was not better than Drew his rookie year. Yes it looked like Tom was outplaying Drew by the end of his second training camp, but it wasn't like Drew was skipping the ball 10' down the field. That is where the tougher decision comes in, if the rookie is just a little better than the starter.

I think many of us feel if Cam plays like he did last year, Mac won't only be a little better than Cam, he will be much, much better, and he won't leave Bill with any option. Hopefully they both play well, but we will see.

Back on Brady vs Drew, after leading the Pats to the Superbowl, there were huge arguments as to whether Drew should be the superbowl qb or not, so don't rewrite history and say everyone could see Tom was better, it isn't true.

Brilliant!
One season of 7-9 is not a trend.

The defense in 2021 is elite by any measure, especially the front seven with the security of knowing they can get after the QB and fill their gaps with a great secondary in support. Hightower and Van Noy will restore order to your universe.

The Patriots offense is dramatically better with the additions of the TEs alone. The WR corps is vastly better as well. The QB room has three veterans and a 1st round selection who understudied at Alabama behind two current NFL starters.

It's going to be okay, @1960Pats . Come down off the ledge.

One season of 7-9 is not a trend.

The defense in 2021 is elite by any measure, especially the front seven with the security of knowing they can get after the QB and fill their gaps with a great secondary in support. Hightower and Van Noy will restore order to your universe.

The Patriots offense is dramatically better with the additions of the TEs alone. The WR corps is vastly better as well. The QB room has three veterans and a 1st round selection who understudied at Alabama behind two current NFL starters.

It's going to be okay, @1960Pats . Come down off the ledge.
Lol the defense that hasn't set foot on the field yet is elite? On paper the offense is significantly better but if we have the same QB play as last year it won't matter. I guess in sunshine and rainbows land we are all set to go 17-0.

Brilliant!
Only reason he had bledsoe starting over brady was that he just signed a huge contract

Lol the defense that hasn't set foot on the field yet is elite? On paper the offense is significantly better but if we have the same QB play as last year it won't matter. I guess in sunshine and rainbows land we are all set to go 17-0.
Fine. Please enlighten us with your assessment of where the glaring weakness is on defense.

Fine. Please enlighten us with your assessment of where the glaring weakness is on defense.
Our number one corner is coming off an injury, getting older, and may be disgruntled/traded. Our number two corner is great as a number two but struggled mightily as a number one last year. I don't always trust those Baltimore LB's on big money deals once they leave the Ravens. Van Noy is a couple years older than when we last had him. Hightower is older, has a history or injuries, and also didn't play all last year. Our defensive line at least has depth but aside from Guy I don’t think any of them are your clear cut starter(s).

I think the defense will be definitely better than last year just due to the fact that we at least have some depth in the front seven now but to call it "elite" when camp hasn't even started yet is ridiculous.

I don’t think the offense is significantly better, but we’ll see. Thuney out; Brown in. They upgraded at TE but paid $25M for two guys who won’t make close to the impact as one elite tight end at $15M (Kittle, Kelce). Algohor, based on his career as a totality, is probably a 750-850 yard guy, but at least he has a higher ceiling as shown last year.

Obviously if Mac is really good, he’ll make this into a “sum greater than individual parts” unit as great QBs do. They should be good enough so they won’t hold him back, so that’s the improvement level from last year.

On defense, my biggest concern is the aging leaders they’re relying on. Hightower (31), Gilmore (31 in September), McCourty (34 in two weeks). Need to see breakout young players this year. Hopefully Judon is the real deal…can’t afford an Adalius Thomas bust with this unit.

Between a rookie QB and one of the largest FA classes in history, I can honestly say not much would surprise me. There‘s a huge range of reasonable predictions.

Last edited:
I don’t think the offense is significantly better, but we’ll see. Thuney and Cannon out; Brown in. They upgraded at TE but paid $25M for two guys who won’t make close to the impact as one elite tight end at $15M (Kittle, Kelce). Algohor, based on his career as a totality, is probably a 750-850 yard guy, but at least he has a higher ceiling as shown last year.

Obviously if Mac is really good, he’ll make this into a “sum greater than individual parts” unit as great QBs do. They should be good enough so they won’t hold him back, so that’s the improvement level from last year.

On defense, my biggest concern is the aging leaders they’re relying on. Hightower (31), Gilmore (31 in September), McCourty (34 in two weeks). Need to see breakout young players this year. Hopefully Judon is the real deal…can’t afford an Adalius Thomas bust with this unit.

Between a rookie QB and one of the largest FA classes in history, I can honestly say not much would surprise me. There‘s a huge range of reasonable predictions.

Only thing I'll disagree with is Cannon. He wasn't there last year either, so if we're talking about comparisons to 2020 he shouldn't count. Everything else is fair, and we all hope it works out, but there's a lot to sort through before we get there.

Only thing I'll disagree with is Cannon. He wasn't there last year either, so if we're talking about comparisons to 2020 he shouldn't count. Everything else is fair, and we all hope it works out, but there's a lot to sort through before we get there.

Correct…I’ll amend my post.

I don’t think the offense is significantly better, but we’ll see. Thuney out; Brown in. They upgraded at TE but paid $25M for two guys who won’t make close to the impact as one elite tight end at $15M (Kittle, Kelce). Algohor, based on his career as a totality, is probably a 750-850 yard guy, but at least he has a higher ceiling as shown last year.

I agree on the offense. On paper they are much better but the two TE's have a history of getting dinged up and I still absolutely hate what we paid Algohor. The way I look at it is at least we have NFL players at WR and TE now and I cant imagine it is possible to get worse QB play than 2600 yards 8 TD's and 10 INTs.

Newton gives you absolutely zero chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back