PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Some Patriots Players Have Doubts About Cam Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newton England is gonna have some choice words for this thread.

I don’t like Cam “Has Been” Newton or Mac “Daniel” Jones as QBs and I’ll gladly eat crow if I’m very wrong about either guys.
Did you change your signature before or after this post?

I don’t like Cam “Has Been” Newton or Mac “Daniel” Jones as QBs and I’ll gladly eat crow if I’m very wrong about either guys.

who_gives_a_shit.gif

Mac doesn't need to be babied. Roll with the kid for better or worse in 2021 and definitely for better after that.
Teddy Bridgewater and Derek Carr are two rookie QBs who could have benefited from a year or so as an understudy before being fed to the wolves. I think bringing the rookie along slowly. 2021 is not an "all-in" year. Everybody understands this is a transitional year. from the Brady years to the next QB. Brady certainly benefited from his time with Drew, and Belichick knew when the time was right to turn the keys over to next guy.

No surprise here, I'm team Mac! Start Mac over Cam!

So what's the news in this report? This isn't a popularity contest. It's show me the money. Players want to win and if Mac outperforms Cam in pre-season or in September, that's who they're going to support.

Given the Patriots schedule I could see them starting Cam and they just keep winning. Even rolling to a 12-5 record with the additions and returning pieces. I also see it being ugly. They run the ball, control the clock and the defense plays lights out. Cam's average statline is 10/18 for 105 yards.

Then they get to the playoffs, fall behind and there's no shot at catching up. I'd rather take a 9-8 year with Mac where he shows progress and by the end of the year we're all thinking hey this kid could be really good.

I can live with a run first attack but at some point you have to be able to throw the ball. Teams have won with, gulp, Eli or Flacco. Neither was great but Cam isn't even close to being on par with either, probably still.

Just for schits and gigs, could Cam be a situational QB player and Belichick roll out a new approach to offense that wows the league en route to a SB?

Has there been a team other than the Saints to try and employ this idea of two diff QB's?

Whoever wants to play armchair coach, offer your visions of the DUAL QB OFFENSE OF THE FUTURE!

(btw if you can't tell I'm so damn ready for some tangible football goodness)

he IS going to make ALL the rookie mistakes that rookies make.
And other teams are going to expose those tendencies as well. The one thing about "sitting" is the ability for your own team's defense to expose those things and allow fixes in a practice mentality versus a win or loss mentality.

I've pontificated before that confidence is a massive aspect of player maturity (see Harry, N'Keal who has neither confidence nor seemingly maturity). Not just confidence in the self, but confidence in the team, coaches, etc.

Seeing a suggested change (mechanics, decision making, etc) pay off after a practice session/film breakdown/practice session tends to return that coaching investment in later game action in the form of muscle memory (confidence of immediate action rather than see/think/decide/act) if the player has already seen the change work on the practice field where the stakes are much less.

If Mac shows signs he’s ready, start him week 1. I could see him thriving with the running game and exploiting the seams with Henry/Smith off of play action. I think Agholor may surprise as well.

Breaking news: It would be good for the team if Cam plays well.

A lot like the other version: if Mac Jones is really good, the team will be right back to contention. But he doesn’t have to be elite…he just needs to make all the right decisions, put the ball exactly where it needs to be, and have no limitations for his passing range.

Breaking news: It would be good for the team if Cam plays well.
Good to what extent? He is not winning a superbowl, so is it a worse draft pick? If you want to protect the kid and not hurt his feelings if he plays bad, then ok, but this notion that Cam is going to take them to the promise land cause he says he knows the playbook better is highly doubful.

I think if Mac looks better than Cam in practice, the only thing that would have kept Cam in the starting role is if his teammates really wanted him to start. But if the team is behind Mac, AND Mac looks better on the field, I don't think Bill would roll with Cam for S & G's.
This notion that because a guy smiles on the sideline that players want him to play even if he sucks is false. Players want to win. I dont care if they like playing cards with the guy, if he cannot get it done they are not going to want him to start.

This notion that because a guy smiles on the sideline that players want him to play even if he sucks is false. Players want to win. I dont care if they like playing cards with the guy, if he cannot get it done they are not going to want him to start.

Didn't mean to imply that. But just because a kid looks better throwing in practice doesn't mean he's convince his teammates that he can do it when the bullets are flying for real. And I don't believe that the players that like Cam only do so because they think he's a swell dude. The shine is starting to wear off of him, but he's still a respected veteran in this league and players are not going to be so quick to just accept the new kid. If he earns it from them, then sure, but there's no guarantee he can do that before the games are played.

Is this from the same crap "source" who said last month that Mac sees things the same way as the OC? When you think about it some of these quotes are totally made up by the media, as no one likely would even say something like this.

I think PFK's post on the prior page is the right read. The Pats have aging vets in McCourty, Hightower, Gilmore, and multiple other guys. So it's win now or tear it up and rebuild. I'm for win-now. I was driving the Mac bandwagon last October before it became cool, but I don't think the Pats win a Superbowl with a rookie QB trying to grow leaps and bounds within 6 months against ferocious NFL defenses. I do think there is a small chance the Patriots go very far with Cam Newton as the QB if he can get it together. Basically if Mac starts then the Pats should start trading all the vets away before week6 because they aren't going to contend with a rookie QB.

He's endured two surgeries on his throwing shoulder and was never a super accurate thrower or cerebral QB before that. He was an amazing athlete though, and I think even now he'd be a decent bridge QB or backup up for Mac. They can start Cam if Mac needs time (week 5?), or use him as a change of pace weapon afterwards. The alternative is Stidham or Hoyer, Stidham has chicken blood in his veins and Hoyer is a coach at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back