PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Brady close to extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NFL is investigating cap management fraud...

BREAKING NEWS 3/6/2019: TB12 Training Facilities Land $50m in investment capital led by the Kraft Group.
In other news, TB12 launches new offering of massages conducted by Asian women

Last edited:
If this is true, I wonder how much cap relief the Pats will get. Think Brady's cap hit is currently 27 million for this season.

What do all think that Brady will/should sign for? In any case, there will be $12M of dead cap money in the 2019 cap, plus whatever the new contract adds.

Anything and everything he wants. I wouldn't consider anything too much given his contribution at this point.

What do all think that Brady will/should sign for? In any case, there will be $12M of dead cap money in the 2019 cap, plus whatever the new contract adds.

How come there will be 12m dead cap?

Cap rules always confuse me

Will it save us money this year?

Probably his last contract.. damn.. By far our biggest signing this offseason

I would hope we can lower the cap number to about 20 million.

It’s not dead cap money.
It’s the portion of his signing bonus from the past that is charged to this years cap.

Part of what makes the 'cap rules' confusing is how easy it is to get caught up in the semantics or terms involved. In a nutshell, when Brady did his last deal he was paid upfront signing and restructure bonuses that for cap accounting purposes were spread out over the term of his deal. Specifically to 2019 that means $7M of signing and $5M of restructure bonuses that count against the cap no matter what they do in terms of an extension. In real world accounting terms it's more or less akin to a sunk cost. "Dead cap" wasn't quite the correct term since technically it's meant for money that counts against the cap for a player no longer on the roster but in a general sense it is 'dead' in terms of being unrecoverable to the current cap.

So is this his last contract? 3 years would take him to age 44...
"3 years plus option". Of course we don't know if it would be an extension or replacement of the last year of this one. If this is true, we'll find out soon enough.

Wouldn't a 3 year extension have Brady under contract for 4 more years (3+1). I would assume that whatever cash he gets for this year will be as a bonus spread over the four years and thus able to reduce the cap hit for this year

So is this his last contract? 3 years would take him to age 44...
Actually, he turns 42 during training camp and is still under contract through March of 2020, so if it’s a 3 yr extension, he’d be turning 45 the summer of his last year. That’s not even including the possibility of a 4th year “option.”

Either way, I think it’s safe to say that Tom will retire without wearing any other colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes