PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rodgers in talks with Jets [UPDATE: 'It's my intention to play for the Jets']

I think it’s more contingent on Jets coming to agreement with Rodgers. If that goes through, then the Packers get compensated. If not, they don’t.

I think that’s what he meant by hopefully.
I agree, Rodgers's compensation is part of what I meant about what was being asked, just didn't express it very well.

That begs the question: what is Rodgers asking for that is making da Jete hesitate?

Is he asking for more than what he was due on his last contract?

Are da Jete asking him to take less?

There's no longer any doubt the Packers want to move on, so it's all about Rodgers now.

According to Over the Cap the Jets are right at or slightly over the 2023 cap. Adding Rogers will force them to cut players or get them to agree to restructuring. They also have a big OL problem.
Sounds like a lot of problems to solve when you crap out on the #2 overall pick.
The Jets don't have to get players to agree to restructuring unless it involves lowering the overall amount the player would receive. The Jets aren't one of the two teams who still have that language in their contracts.

I did find it interesting that the Jets traded for Clark. They're also likely to lose Sheldon Rankins and they could lose Quincy Williams as well.

I agree, Rodgers's compensation is part of what I meant about what was being asked, just didn't express it very well.

That begs the question: what is Rodgers asking for that is making da Jete hesitate?

There's no longer any doubt the Packers want to move on, so it's all about Rodgers now.

Agreed. The JETE are stupid. If I was Rodgers I would be asking for more including more guarantees (see D Watson contract). If he retires he leaves it on the table, but might as well ask for it, so it is on the table if Rodgers wants to keep playing.

Rodgers wants money and recognition. SB is not a high priority. He is angling for more money.

Probably about which teammates he wants on the team, how long the Jets think they'll have Rogers (two years?), how they can finagle his contract to fit under the cap. This stuff takes time.

The Jets don't have to get players to agree to restructuring unless it involves lowering the overall amount the player would receive. The Jets aren't one of the two teams who still have that language in their contracts.

I did find it interesting that the Jets traded for Clark. They're also likely to lose Sheldon Rankins and they could lose Quincy Williams as well.

Jete have made some illuminating moves over the last few days:
* No tender for RFA RB James Robinson (which was expected), saves $2.6M against the cap​
* Releasing Braxton Berrios after asking him to take a pay cut, saves $5M against the cap​
* Restructuring CJ Usamah's contract to make $3.6M cap space​
* Restructuring Tomlinson, Reed and Conklin to create $15M of cap space​
* Considering restructuring Mosley, Whitehead and Franklin-Myers​
* Considering trading, cutting or extending Davis, Lawson and Williams​

Main source: Jets restructure Conklin, Reed and Tomlinson contracts

IMO all these moves indicate they are making room for Rodgers.

They are all straight forward moves, but still it represents them losing roster depth and/or pushing money into the future.

Chances are Rodgers's contract will be back-loaded so they're really restructuring their cap plan for the next three or more years.

It feels to me like they're stacking the deck for the next two years, then it'll be a massive rebuild yet again.

They really must think adding Rodgers puts them over the top, but I think they're wrong.

I don't think they have the same kind of talent base that, for instance, Tampa had when they added Brady.

I think this is about an aging owner getting impatient and pushing his chips forward hoping for the best.

They are really thin talent wise, so one or two injuries (like last year with Messy Bacon, Hall, etc) and it'll all be for naught.

I kinda feel dirty after googling da Jete, time to go take a shower!

* No tender for RFA RB James Robinson (which was expected), saves $2.6M against the cap​
* Releasing Braxton Berrios after asking him to take a pay cut, saves $5M against the cap​

They are all straight forward moves, but still it represents them losing roster depth and/or pushing money into the future.

Chances are Rodgers's contract will be back-loaded so they're really restructuring their cap plan for the next three or more years.

It feels to me like they're stacking the deck for the next two years, then it'll be a massive rebuild yet again.

They really must think adding Rodgers puts them over the top, but I think they're wrong.

I don't think they have the same kind of talent base that, for instance, Tampa had when they added Brady.

I think this is about an aging owner getting impatient and pushing his chips forward hoping for the best.

They are really thin talent wise, so one or two injuries (like last year with Messy Bacon, Hall, etc) and it'll all be for naught.

Great post. Probably right. Push all their chips in for A Rodgers' 39, 40, and 41 year old years. Then complete rebuild again.

This is exactly what Tampa did in 2020 and are now in rebuild mode.

I think they believe the hype of their defense being one of the best, they have a great RB coming off IR and are a QB away from being one of the best teams. It doesn’t seem unreasonable if you believe that to go all in. The problem is, Rodgers is no Brady or maybe even a Manning, who will be disciplined enough to go the distance.

I think they believe the hype of their defense being one of the best, they have a great RB coming off IR and are a QB away from being one of the best teams. It doesn’t seem unreasonable if you believe that to go all in. The problem is, Rodgers is no Brady or maybe even a Manning, who will be disciplined enough to go the distance.
IMO their real problem is their recent OL picks have been used on guys with injury and/or weight and/or motivation problems, this means that their OL is not good enough to protect an aging QB like Rodgers, and their overall roster depth is low so injuries just kill them. Oh, yeah, their D is overrated too.

Does AR wanna spend the last few years of his NFL career with the jets, you gonna go out like that? Just retire dude

Sure seems to me that Vegas makes a lot more sense for Rodgers than East Rutherford.....

The Jete do not have a lot of ways to save money with restructures.

Rodgers is an obvious upgrade for the NYJ and puts them in the playoff mix but it’s a short term fix. They still don’t have their QB of the future. If they would’ve just tanked correctly for Lawrence we wouldn’t be having this Rodgers talk.

Rodgers is an obvious upgrade for the NYJ and puts them in the playoff mix but it’s a short term fix. They still don’t have their QB of the future. If they would’ve just tanked correctly for Lawrence we wouldn’t be having this Rodgers talk.

If the Jets win a SB with Rodgers, they don’t care about a long term solution at QB…it will be the miracles of all miracles for that franchise

I agree. Their window would be open if Milfson wasn't a bust, but now they are behind the curve and are desperately trying to do whatever they can do to catch up, but they really can't catch up, the Milfson pick really blew their chances. It looks like they will be overpaying a veteran QB whose having a hard time deciding if he even wants to play or not. If he was unhappy in GB, he's going to be miserable in NYC. This has train wreck written all over it.

If the Jets win a SB with Rodgers, they don’t care about a long term solution at QB…it will be the miracles of all miracles for that franchise
LOL, as if...

It'd be a huge kick in the balls for da Jete if he now blows them off.

Then again, we know Jete fans like to be kicked in the balls...

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back