PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rodgers in talks with Jets [UPDATE: 'It's my intention to play for the Jets']

Just saw a homeless person begging on the off ramp here in Denver wearing a JETE jersey. Is that a bad or good omen?

Rodgers is a nauseating personality but I think he still has enough skill left to help some teams. NYJ being one of them. I think an argument could be made that it makes sense for Belichick to pursue Rodgers as well.

Just saw a homeless person begging on the off ramp here in Denver wearing a JETE jersey. Is that a bad or good omen?

Sounds like a real double-edged sword. People either will take extra pity on him and shell out some change or want to run him over.

Rodgers is a nauseating personality but I think he still has enough skill left to help some teams. NYJ being one of them. I think an argument could be made that it makes sense for Belichick to pursue Rodgers as well.
I think the Pats are pot-committed to see what they have in Mac this year, because there's a big deadline on the fifth year option. There's a real chance Rodgers plays one year for the Jets and then leaves them with no QB and Tua could be out of football by 2024 meaning 2024 AFCE looks very different from 2023.

Last edited:
I think the Pats are pot-committed to see what they have in Mac this year
I think Belichick's retirement timeline is a big factor (or at least it should be for him specifically). If Belichick heads into 2023 with Mac as his starting QB then I have to believe he'll be committed to him through 2025 (Belichick's last season by my estimation). I don't see Belichick resetting his QB room again after this season. It's this off-season or not happening (before Belichick's retirement).

I think Belichick's retirement timeline is a big factor (or at least it should be for him specifically). If Belichick heads into 2023 with Mac as his starting QB then I have to believe he'll be committed to him through 2025 (Belichick's last season by my estimation). I don't see Belichick resetting his QB room again after this season. It's this off-season or not happening (before Belichick's retirement).
I'm not sure I see it that way. I think he views it year-to-year and tries to build the best team he can and leave it in as good as shape as he can every year. I know others see it differently, and that's cool, but I think if Mac plays like **** this year, Bill's not signing the 5th year option and he's looking for a QB elsewhere. I don't think he would stick with Mac because he has some timetable about his retirement.

Did he look like this?
images

I'm not sure I see it that way. I think he views it year-to-year and tries to build the best team he can and leave it in as good as shape as he can every year. I know others see it differently, and that's cool, but I think if Mac plays like **** this year, Bill's not signing the 5th year option and he's looking for a QB elsewhere. I don't think he would stick with Mac because he has some timetable about his retirement.
Well if you put in the context of "playing like ****" then sure Belichick will have to move on from Mac. But that's not his plan obviously and too I think it's doubtful Mac has an awful season in 2023. Something like 3900, 28 TDs, 13 INTs... which is relatively mediocre.

Belichick has to be contemplating his retirement. 3 more seasons max. Even subconsciously it will weight into his decisions for the team. He doesn't want to go out with multiple 7 to 9 win seasons in a row. Especially with all of the previous success he had with Brady. Belichick wants to stomp out the narrative of he can't win without Brady. He's got 3 seasons to do it.

Rodgers should retire before the wheels fall off. It's going to get real ugly for him if he's playing like trash. Peyton Manning was ok with being dragged to a second SB title because he could admit he had nothing left and he knew what the 2nd ring meant to his legacy. Rodgers has to be the center of everything, he wants the NFL universe to be groveling at his feet, and there's no way his enormous ego could withstand the scrutiny while merely playing out his career as a bystander on a winning team. Never mind playing poorly on a bad team, when the rocks can really be thrown at him.

Well if you put in the context of "playing like ****" then sure Belichick will have to move on from Mac. But that's not his plan obviously and too I think it's doubtful Mac has an awful season in 2023. Something like 3900, 28 TDs, 13 INTs... which is relatively mediocre.

Belichick has to be contemplating his retirement. 3 more seasons max. Even subconsciously it will weight into his decisions for the team. He doesn't want to go out with multiple 7 to 9 win seasons in a row. Especially with all of the previous success he had with Brady. Belichick wants to stomp out the narrative of he can't win without Brady. He's got 3 seasons to do it.
Yes. I was saying if it’s clear that Mac plays in 2023 like he did in 2022, Bill has to move on. That mediocre middle ground probably means Bill will stick with Mac, like you said.

I just think it would be easier for Bill to move on from Mac then than now when the narrative is that Kraft wouldn’t let Bill move on from Mac (if he even wanted to).

I was shocked when Carolina gave a 2nd for Darnold, so maybe a cheap, talented QB is worth something if a team thinks they can fix him.

I don't think Rodgers is going to cost that much, at least from all the talk out there.
Your probably right. I was just going on what Russell Wilson demanded.

It also sounds like the compensation to the Packers is already set.
I think you're jumping the gun a bit.

Note Murphy's use of "hopefully".

I think da Jete know what is being asked, just haven't decided to pay it, haggle, or walk away.

Given it wasn't an immediate "yes" it seems the Packers are asking more than expected.

I think you're jumping the gun a bit.

Note Murphy's use of "hopefully".

I think da Jete know what is being asked, just haven't decided to pay it, haggle, or walk away.

Given it wasn't an immediate "yes" it seems the Packers are asking more than expected.
I think it’s more contingent on Jets coming to agreement with Rodgers. If that goes through, then the Packers get compensated. If not, they don’t.

I think that’s what he meant by hopefully.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back