PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rodgers in talks with Jets [UPDATE: 'It's my intention to play for the Jets']

I don't like Florio, but I think this is right.

The Jets have to land Rodgers now or their offseason is a catastrophe. If they don't already have the terms outlined with the Packers (I bet they did before the Packers allowed to talk to Rodgers), the Packers are going to hose the Jets because the Jets are desperate.

The Jets have to land Rodgers now or their offseason is a catastrophe. If they don't already have the terms outlined with the Packers (I bet they did before the Packers allowed to talk to Rodgers), the Packers are going to hose the Jets because the Jets are desperate.
We can hope.

It feels like da Jete are the only ones who want him, which unfortunately reduces what da Jete need to pay for him.

Ideally there would be two or more bidders.

It feels like da Jete are the only ones who want him, which unfortunately reduces what da Jete need to pay for him.

Right, because the Jete are shrewd.
Think About It GIF by Identity

Maybe, but the Packers don't have to move Rodgers. So, in effect, the Jets would have to bid against them at least.

BTW- don't be surprised to see the price for a trade of Rodgers isn't as high as you'd expect, give his huge contract and cap implications. I'd expect it to be something like the Farve compensation, which was something like a conditional fourth through first depending on playing time and how far the team got. IIRC the Packers wound up with a 3rd after Farve got hurt later in the season

Might depend on how much of his salary cap hit the Packers are willing to keep on their books and off the Jete's... The more that GB's willing & able to take, the higher the price for him.

I feel like there's no in-between here.

Either the Jets will become contenders. They have the pieces and adding Rogers should put them over the top on paper

Or this will crash and burn. Dysfunctional team and a dysfunctional quarter back.

And it's a 50-50 chance of either happening.

Might depend on how much of his salary cap hit the Packers are willing to keep on their books and off the Jete's... The more that GB's willing & able to take, the higher the price for him.
I don't know, Cap. A this point the Jets HAVE to make this happen. The Packers and Rodgers have ALL the leverage. The owner and important coaching staff made the trek across country to be interviewed BY the narcissistic Rodgers, not the other way around.

He's going to be owed around $60MM next season. Getting rid of that number is a key incentive for the Packers. The Jets will likely try and reduce that number with a restructured contract that will spread the money over 3 or 4 years. I think they'll want a conditional pick that will become a first rounder if they get to the playoffs. And they'll likely get there if Rodgers is their QB and remains healthy.

Personally I don't understand WHY he'd want to go there outside the fact they have a nice roster. The media sucks, the ownership sucks, the division AND conference will make if very difficult for any team to get to the superbowl. SF desperately needs a QB for perhaps the best roster in the NFL. If he were smart and had any sense of his legacy, he'd play for the minimum in order to guide that team. (the minimum being about $25MM in QB money)

I don't know, Cap. A this point the Jets HAVE to make this happen. The Packers and Rodgers have ALL the leverage. The owner and important coaching staff made the trek across country to be interviewed BY the narcissistic Rodgers, not the other way around.

He's going to be owed around $60MM next season. Getting rid of that number is a key incentive for the Packers. The Jets will likely try and reduce that number with a restructured contract that will spread the money over 3 or 4 years. I think they'll want a conditional pick that will become a first rounder if they get to the playoffs. And they'll likely get there if Rodgers is their QB and remains healthy.

Personally I don't understand WHY he'd want to go there outside the fact they have a nice roster. The media sucks, the ownership sucks, the division AND conference will make if very difficult for any team to get to the superbowl. SF desperately needs a QB for perhaps the best roster in the NFL. If he were smart and had any sense of his legacy, he'd play for the minimum in order to guide that team. (the minimum being about $25MM in QB money)

I think you're pointing out why the Packers don't have all the leverage -- they will owe Rodgers a lot of money next season, and don't really want him this season because they want to know what they have in Love before they hand over the franchise to him.

If da Jete had cajones they would call their bluff and wait for the Packers to cut him on their own, or drastically drop the price. That's the alpha move, IMO, yet da Jete are a :poop: organization so they'll end up paying top dollar, IMO. You can tell Woody is chomping at the bit to get on the back pages and show he got Rodgers while da Jints only got Daniel Jones. Fine, but that's how you end up paying top dollar.

Rodgers would want to go to NY just because of what you now see, da Jete ownership is grabbing their ankles to get him. Basically he wants the attention. Also, salting away a few tens of millions of dollars rather than getting ingloriously cast off by GB has to be an attraction too. I hope he remembers that when he's getting slammed to the ground because the Jete OL sucks.

I think you're pointing out why the Packers don't have all the leverage -- they will owe Rodgers a lot of money next season, and don't really want him this season because they want to know what they have in Love before they hand over the franchise to him.

If da Jete had cajones they would call their bluff and wait for the Packers to cut him on their own, or drastically drop the price. That's the alpha move, IMO, yet da Jete are a :poop: organization so they'll end up paying top dollar, IMO. You can tell Woody is chomping at the bit to get on the back pages and show he got Rodgers while da Jints only got Daniel Jones. Fine, but that's how you end up paying top dollar.

Rodgers would want to go to NY just because of what you now see, da Jete ownership is grabbing their ankles to get him. Basically he wants the attention. Also, salting away a few tens of millions of dollars rather than getting ingloriously cast off by GB has to be an attraction too. I hope he remembers that when he's getting slammed to the ground because the Jete OL sucks.
The Jete prove that throwing money at the problem does not indicate competence or prove that the owner is committed to winning.

I can't imagine Rogers really going to NY. Does he know how strict their vaxx policies are? And their steep taxes... and their stupidity... and collapsing govn't... NY sucks!

I can't imagine Rogers really going to NY. Does he know how strict their vaxx policies are? And their steep taxes... and their stupidity... and collapsing govn't... NY sucks!
NY in name only.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back