PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rodgers in talks with Jets [UPDATE: 'It's my intention to play for the Jets']

Imagine being such a bust as the #2 overall pick that your teammates resort to black magic to get you replaced.
The Jets have to trade Zack, right? Didn't they get a second for Darnold? Is it possible that after two trades (one for Rodgers and one to get rid of Wilson), they could end up not losing much in draft capital (while spending a boatload more cash on Rodgers)?

The Jets have to trade Zack, right? Didn't they get a second for Darnold? Is it possible that after two trades (one for Rodgers and one to get rid of Wilson), they could end up not losing much in draft capital (while spending a boatload more cash on Rodgers)?

I don't think they NEED to trade him, because it's not like he'd create a schism in the locker room. We joke about how bad Cam Newton was in 2020, but his teammates LOVED him. Keeping him while starting Mac had the potential for disaster if Mac struggled a lot. That won't happen in New York between Rodgers and Wilson.

That said, if they did trade him, I have to believe they'd get less in return than they gave up for Rodgers (if there is any sanity in this league), but you're right that the net loss might not be as big as we thought.

McMilfson is still on his rookie deal and they have fantasies of rehabilitating him.

McMilfson is still on his rookie deal and they have fantasies of rehabilitating him.
Because Aaron Rodgers is such a great QB mentor? (I say that with the sarcasm directed at the Jets for thinking that and not you for saying what they think.)

I don't think they NEED to trade him, because it's not like he'd create a schism in the locker room. We joke about how bad Cam Newton was in 2020, but his teammates LOVED him. Keeping him while starting Mac had the potential for disaster if Mac struggled a lot. That won't happen in New York between Rodgers and Wilson.

That said, if they did trade him, I have to believe they'd get less in return than they gave up for Rodgers (if there is any sanity in this league), but you're right that the net loss might not be as big as we thought.
Right, I don't think anyone in that locker room would take Zack's side. I just meant they might have to trade him to try and recoup something from that awful pick and sell now when they might get anything for him and the backup they already have (White) seems ok and cheap enough.

I guess the way I see it is.
The Jets wasted the 2nd and 3rd picks in the whole draft to get back 2nd rounders for them.
They certainly will not be getting a 1st for Wilson.
Teams might not even be willing to give up a 2nd because of his attitude.
My guess is it takes 2 first rounders to get Rodgers.

I guess the way I see it is.
The Jets wasted the 2nd and 3rd picks in the whole draft to get back 2nd rounders for them.
They certainly will not be getting a 1st for Wilson.
Teams might not even be willing to give up a 2nd because of his attitude.
My guess is it takes 2 first rounders to get Rodgers.
I was shocked when Carolina gave a 2nd for Darnold, so maybe a cheap, talented QB is worth something if a team thinks they can fix him.

I don't think Rodgers is going to cost that much, at least from all the talk out there.

would you give up a 2nd for Z.Wilson?

I wouldn't.

I’d lmao if he decided not to play for them.
Because Jete. This is such a win all the way around IMO. I hear what some folks are saying "oh be careful what you wish for". Aaron Rodgers is 39, not 29. He's a loon now, not the same guy who went to the SB. Now he's a guy who needs to sit in a sensory depravation tank to find his zen or whatever bullchit he's into. He's gonna go into NY, into the lion's den of media, and everything is going to be all peaches and cream? Play for the Jete? Even if there's a honeymoon period, eventually the wheels will fall off. I hope they overpay in typical Jete fashion.

If they can make it work, Rodgers would be an excellent pickup for the Jets. He's still capable of throwing 4000 yards and 30-35 touchdowns. I don't know how far they'll get in the playoffs in a loaded AFC, but if this move occurs the Pats end up at the bottom of the division in terms of QB play.

If they can make it work, Rodgers would be an excellent pickup for the Jets. He's still capable of throwing 4000 yards and 30-35 touchdowns. I don't know how far they'll get in the playoffs in a loaded AFC, but if this move occurs the Pats end up at the bottom of the division in terms of QB play.
And Offensive Talent but Fourth in the East is not bad. :whistle:

I was shocked when Carolina gave a 2nd for Darnold, so maybe a cheap, talented QB is worth something if a team thinks they can fix him.

I don't think Rodgers is going to cost that much, at least from all the talk out there.
The Green Bay GM is screwed.

It's clear to me they want to move on to Love, but there is not much of a market for Rodgers, and at the same time, his fan base thinks Rodgers is God.

Look at what the Broncos gave up for Russell Wilson:

• Broncos acquire Wilson and a 2022 fourth-round pick from Seahawks in exchange for a 2022 first-rounder, 2023 first, 2022 second, 2023 second, 2022 fifth, QB Drew Lock, TE Noah Fant and DT Shelby Harris

A pair of firsts, a pair of seconds, plus some veteran players is a high bar to match.

Or the infamous Deshawn Watson deal:

Browns acquire Watson and a 2024 sixth-round pick from Texans in exchange for a 2022 first-rounder, 2023 first, 2024 first, 2023 third, 2022 fourth and 2024 fourth

Three firsts, a pair of thirds, a pair of fourths.

The GB fans are going to be expecting this level of compensation because Rodgers is a better QB than Wilson or Watson, yet he's also 39 years old and a head case.

There is nothing in Green Bay that matters like football does, so if the GM screws it up he'll hear it from every person he runs into, yet as above I don't think he has a lot of leverage.

The Green Bay GM is screwed.

It's clear to me they want to move on to Love, but there is not much of a market for Rodgers, and at the same time, his fan base thinks Rodgers is God.

Look at what the Broncos gave up for Russell Wilson:

A pair of firsts, a pair of seconds, plus some veteran players is a high bar to match.

Or the infamous Deshawn Watson deal:

Three firsts, a pair of thirds, a pair of fourths.

The GB fans are going to be expecting this level of compensation because Rodgers is a better QB than Wilson or Watson, yet he's also 39 years old and a head case.

There is nothing in Green Bay that matters like football does, so if the GM screws it up he'll hear it from every person he runs into, yet as above I don't think he has a lot of leverage.
Good point. It's like a game of chicken between Green Bay and the Jets to see which team can more desperately overplay their hand.

the lord of the rings no GIF

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back