PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rob Gronkowski injury

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per Paul Perillo on 98.5 said the reporter was a female ESPN reporter who covers the pats "all the time"...I want to say last name Steele but don't quote me

michele steele. she's always at gilette covering the pats with reiss.

If doctors and coach says he is ready to play and he goes play then all is good.
This is my point.

If the doctors and coach say he's ready to play, and he sits out another 3 weeks, then what?

Because this has happened before.

If the Pats truly want the league to change the rules to protect the knees of pass catchers, as Brady said today, they need to start talking low themselves.

We all know rules get changed quickly when there is a perceived advantage for the Patriots.

You're right that it's not standard procedure, but Gronk didn't see even a single preseason rep. He's not a standard player. It was a very scary moment in one of the most hyped prime time games of the year.

As far as what was said: who cares? Gronk said he'll be out there as soon as "he feels better and the team and doctors clear him." The Patriots said that the injury is week to week and that he will be evaluated throughout the process, while reminding us that predicting any timeline is speculative.

Why is that so controversial?

You are talking to the same kind of people that questioned Amendola's toughness when he played through a torn groin. Creating controversy just for controversy's sake.

It really is mind-numbing that people even think it is worth discussing the entire situation. There is a clear press release from BOTH involved sides. It can't be more obvious that everyone involved is on the same page i.e. let the knee injury heal fully before unleashing Gronk.

This is my point.

If the doctors and coach say he's ready to play, and he sits out another 3 weeks, then what?

Except, that apart from rumors coming from NFL insiders this was never proven to be the case. It might as well have always been the plan to give Gronk a few games in 2013 before starting him. Especially because due to the complications with the arm surgery he didn't really have much of an offseason/preseason back then.

The more recent example with the ACL injury clearly showed that everyone was on the same page. I see no reason to expect anything different this time around.

Except, that apart from rumors coming from NFL insiders this was never proven to be the case. It might as well have always been the plan to give Gronk a few games in 2013 before starting him. Especially because due to the complications with the arm surgery he didn't really have much of an offseason/preseason back then.

The more recent example with the ACL injury clearly showed that everyone was on the same page. I see no reason to expect anything different this time around.
I disagree. For weeks Brady was saying 'Yeah, he's doing everything in practice, looks great!' and then he didn't play. They pretty clearly -weren't- on the same page.

You are talking to the same kind of people that questioned Amendola's toughness when he played through a torn groin. Creating controversy just for controversy's sake.

It really is mind-numbing that people even think it is worth discussing the entire situation. There is a clear press release from BOTH involved sides. It can't be more obvious that everyone involved is on the same page i.e. let the knee injury heal fully before unleashing Gronk.
The fact that the press release was even issued, and on top of that had the Gronkowski family name on it means that it's an extremely unusual situation.

You're right that it's not standard procedure, but Gronk didn't see even a single preseason rep. He's not a standard player. It was a very scary moment in one of the most hyped prime time games of the year.

As far as what was said: who cares? Gronk said he'll be out there as soon as "he feels better and the team and doctors clear him." The Patriots said that the injury is week to week and that he will be evaluated throughout the process, while reminding us that predicting any timeline is speculative.

Why is that so controversial?
No, he said he'd be out there when he was 100%.

I disagree. For weeks Brady was saying 'Yeah, he's doing everything in practice, looks great!' and then he didn't play. They pretty clearly -weren't- on the same page.

It doesn't matter what Brady says or thinks.. this is a decision of the medical and coaching department. Again, Gronk had four operations (the final one at the end of May 2013) to fix his arm and an infection in between the last two surgeries. He had a much shorter preseason and had to play catchup on a lot of things.

Now contrast that with 2014 where he was participating in TC from the very first day on and then also played in the first game.

Seriously, sometimes people prefer to believe in some big controversy even though there are more obvious explanations. But sure go ahead and believe anonymous sources that dimwits like Breer or Mort have.

It doesn't matter what Brady says or thinks.. this is a decision of the medical and coaching department. Again, Gronk had four operations (the final one at the end of May 2013) to fix his arm and an infection in between the last two surgeries. He had a much shorter preseason and had to play catchup on a lot of things.

Now contrast that with 2014 where he was participating in TC from the very first day on and then also played in the first game.

Seriously, sometimes people prefer to believe in some big controversy even though there are more obvious explanations. But sure go ahead and believe anonymous sources that dimwits like Breer or Mort have.
I have no idea where Mort or Al-bert enter into anything. I certainly never brought them up. But if you think the Pats and Gronk we're on the same page as to when he could start playing in the 2013 season, you're delusional.

It is what it is.

The fact that the press release was even issued, and on top of that had the Gronkowski family name on it means that it's an extremely unusual situation.

And this automatically means that the Gronkowski family undermines decisions of the coaching/medical staff of the organization ? That's a pretty huge jump to make.

Until I see an additional leak saying something of substance in the weeks to come, I don't see a single reason to doubt that everyone involved has agreed on how to proceed.

I have no idea where Mort or Al-bert enter into anything. I certainly never brought them up. But if you think the Pats and Gronk we're on the same page as to when he could start playing in the 2013 season, you're delusional.

It is what it is.

Then bring up a SINGLE source that states that the coaching staff and camp Gronk were not on the same page. You are insinuating something and ignoring perfectly reasonable explanations for why he was held out a few games without anything to back your claims up. Until then you are the delusional conspiracy theorist.

And this automatically means that the Gronkowski family undermines decisions of the coaching/medical staff of the organization ? That's a pretty huge jump to make.

Until I see an additional leak saying something of substance in the weeks to come, I don't see a single reason to doubt that everyone involved has agreed on how to proceed.
I didn't say that either. You seem to have a penchant for putting words in my mouth. All I've said is that a) it's pretty clear /something/ is going on, because the team -never- acts this way, and b) I suspect the family and/or agent is involved in some way. But I do think the team won't have the only say in whether he's ready to play or not.

Then bring up a SINGLE source that states that the coaching staff and camp Gronk were not on the same page. You are insinuating something and ignoring perfectly reasonable explanations for why he was held out a few games without anything to back your claims up. Until then you are the delusional conspiracy theorist.
Ok, go enjoy yourself in your rose covered cottage.

No, he said he'd be out there when he was 100%.
The trouble with the 100% statement is that very few players on a pro football team
are 100%. They all have little nicks and bruises.

This is my point.

Don't think like that. It's not good for your health. Brady loves him. His team mates love him. Everyone likes him and he likes to play football. None of those would be true if he bails on his friends when then really need him. If he could tolerate the pain and not hurt himself more he would be playing this weekend. It's gronk.

If I recall correctly, it may not have been that Gronk re-injured his arm by being rushed back too soon.. wasn't it determined that the titanium plate they put in his arm wasn't as long as it should have been, and the bone snapped literally at the end of the metal rod?

So it may have been more due to complete incompetence by the Dr's and not necessarily that he was rushed back. Now he has a metal rod thats as long as his forearm is in there, so that aint breaking again!

If some inventor can come up with a device or special brace that players can wear and would take most of the force from hits to the knee and significantly reduce the chance of a serious injury... they could make boat loads of money!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick