PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rex Ryan on loss of Edelman, gain of Hogan, Gillislee and Gilmore

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlowGettingUp

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Entertaining interview with Rex Ryan - if you start around the 9 minute mark you can hear him discuss the impact of the loss of Edelman on the Patriots, and just how furious he was at the loss of Hogan to the Pats as well as just how good Gillislee and particularly Gilmore are.

When he first heard the Pats signed Hogan he thought they would get a 2nd-round pick in exchange - he hit the roof when he discovered the low tag. Illustrates the disconnect between him and the front office.

Also interesting comment on how Belichick goes hunting for players whenever a new coach takes over.

Rex Ryan & Beth Mowins

#SGU, one of the best user names yet. Well done.

Thanks - I did contemplate "SlowGettingItUp" briefly, but thought better of it. :)

I've since discovered there is actually an excellent book with the same title about life as a bottom-of-the-roster NFL player:

Slow Getting Up

Thanks - I did contemplate "SlowGettingItUp" briefly, but thought better of it. :)

I've since discovered there is actually an excellent book with the same title about life as a bottom-of-the-roster NFL player:

Slow Getting Up
At least you didn't call yourself, "CantGetItUp"

If you are slow at it, as least you are capable.

:p

Wow, the part about Belichick is 'stealing' players from 'new' coaches was a really cool perspective that I hadn't thought about.

Basically, Rex Ryan said this (paraphrasing), "what Bill Parcells told me is that when a new coaching regime comes in, you've got an opportunity to 'steal' players from a team, because the inherited players from the roster aren't 'their' (the new coaches) players", implying that they undervalue them/don't have a bias. Ryan suggested that Belichick did this to the Bills with Gilmore/Gillislee/Hogan/etc.

Wow, the part about Belichick is 'stealing' players from 'new' coaches was a really cool perspective that I hadn't thought about.

Basically, Rex Ryan said this (paraphrasing), "what Bill Parcells told me is that when a new coaching regime comes in, you've got an opportunity to 'steal' players from a team, because the inherited players from the roster aren't 'their' (the new coaches) players", implying that they undervalue them/don't have a bias. Ryan suggested that Belichick did this to the Bills with Gilmore/Gillislee/Hogan/etc.
Michael Lombardi goes into this a bit his podcast appearances. Some of those weird trades where we trade back 10 slots to get a usable player, or cheap FA pickups. Erik Rowe fits into this. Mingo? Ayers? Sheard?

d%#*!@t I'm going to miss watching Edelman!

Apart from being such an integral piece to the Pats' success it is just so much fun watching him play with such passion.

I've gotta think that while opposing fans won't miss the damage he does to their chances for success, they have to admit football is less fun with him not being out there.

The NFL* is a bit less without him in it.

Get well soon Jules!

Michael Lombardi goes into this a bit his podcast appearances. Some of those weird trades where we trade back 10 slots to get a usable player, or cheap FA pickups. Erik Rowe fits into this. Mingo? Ayers? Sheard?
Speaking of Ayers, Pats had him in for a visit today.

Entertaining interview with Rex Ryan - if you start around the 9 minute mark you can hear him discuss the impact of the loss of Edelman on the Patriots, and just how furious he was at the loss of Hogan to the Pats as well as just how good Gillislee and particularly Gilmore are.

When he first heard the Pats signed Hogan he thought they would get a 2nd-round pick in exchange - he hit the roof when he discovered the low tag. Illustrates the disconnect between him and the front office.

Also interesting comment on how Belichick goes hunting for players whenever a new coach takes over.

Rex Ryan & Beth Mowins
In the interview, Ryan impressed me as a knowledgeable, honest football analyst, not the buffoon he too often came across as while a coach. Maybe he has a future in television.

Maybe he has a future in television.
I'm not too optimistic. Not sure what he's going to add to the picture once his insider knowledge goes stale. Also sounds like he's gonna be thrown into the extra MNF broadcast as a color analyst. I'm not at all optimistic that he'll bring good content for an entire game. Me thinks he'll be unlistenable pretty quickly. Seems his main role will be one of the talking heads on the studio shows. Hopefully he works with a producer that can sharpen up his "hot takes" for that gig.

Dude, really??

really-dude_o_1099716.jpg

I'm not too optimistic. Not sure what he's going to add to the picture once his insider knowledge goes stale. Also sounds like he's gonna be thrown into the extra MNF broadcast as a color analyst. I'm not at all optimistic that he'll bring good content for an entire game. Me thinks he'll be unlistenable pretty quickly. Seems his main role will be one of the talking heads on the studio shows. Hopefully he works with a producer that can sharpen up his "hot takes" for that gig.

Look at the current state of NFL commentators. Rex would be in the top half on day 1, maybe higher.

Rex is a bore, and a boor. I suppose we can pretend now that he's interesting, or something. But why bother? Life is short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots