PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reports: Browns reached out last night about Garoppolo, were told no. Will make another offer today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Jimmy a FA or an RFA next year? If the Pats have to get into a bidding war for him next year, why not trade him and allow him to play for Cleveland for one year and then bring him in as an FA at the same market rate they would have had to pay anyway? They'd be taking a chance on Brady not getting injured this year, but as was mentioned earlier, they're not getting to the SB anyway if Jimmy has to step in.

He's FA but they can franchise him then trade but granted for less value.

C6jn-aUU0AAlQ7S.jpg

I wish we could somehow find out whether this is Belichick:

A) viewing Garoppolo as valuable insurance, as someone who can keep a loaded team competitive for a few weeks missed by Brady, or at worst: the remainder of a season.

or

B) preparing to move on from Brady after 2017 (regardless of how elite he remains)

----

A seems reasonable, but not to the point where you decline 4 1st round picks... which leads me to be a tad worried & disappointed that B is in play.

brady is hanging em up after back to back sb's

The man will have done enough and wifey wants him to herself and the kids

The Browns would probably have to offer three 1st round picks for BB to budge. And I don't think they would do that. They have too much of a "Moneyball" mentality.

For example they could have taken Hooker, the higher rated safety at #12, instead they traded down and picked up Jabril Peppers and a future 1st round pick.

The Browns also passed on Wentz and Desean Watson in back to back drafts. It looks like their braintrust enjoys building up value rather than necessarily going for the top player that fills a need.

And there's nothing wrong with this philosophy. Rather to me it indicates that a Browns-Patriots trade is unlikely in the case of Jimmy G, who as a potential franchise QB, has value disproportionate to what Moneyball would indicate is fair price to give up.

The only possibility that makes sense to me is that Bill is so confident they're heading for another Superbowl this year, that it's worth it to him to have Jimmy as a system-trained backup/insurance for a title run, even if it means losing him for nothing next year.

That makes no sense though. You don't turn down multiple high draft picks (possibly multiple first rounders) for insurance for a title run. That is a move a bad GM does, not Belichick.

The only possibilities that make any sense are either the offers weren't good or the Pats are ready to move on from Brady after this year and Garoppolo is the heir apparent.

If Belichick gave up say the 12th overall pick and the 33rd overall pick to keep Garoppolo for insurance for the 2017 season, he is a complete and utter fool. And he isn't a complete and utter fool.

I remember reading a Browns messageboard and one poster was adamant that Jimmy was worth a 3rd round pick at best.

Now we read these later reports.

I don't know WHAT to believe.

:rolleyes:

Getting a little tired here of saying it, but keep the guy, win another sb, even if Brady gets banged up, THEN see where you are. Draft week makes people stupid, as we saw last night, leaping after all the baubles. Stay the course; keep your wits about ya.

If he's not, then *****ing about the 2019 backup situation will be an appropriate response.
DI, this is a question, not a challenge:

Was it not you that was talking about how ineffective/overrated JB was? Maybe I'm going nuts(er).

BB should demand an extra 1st round pick just for Jimmy's good looks.

Remember Cleveland, if you are a winning team your QB is going to be on TV a lot.

Mary Kay, help the Browns see reason.

The Browns would probably have to offer three 1st round picks for BB to budge. And I don't think they would do that. They have too much of a "Moneyball" mentality.

For example they could have taken Hooker, the higher rated safety at #12, instead they traded down and picked up Jabril Peppers and a future 1st round pick.

The Browns also passed on Wentz and Desean Watson in back to back drafts. It looks like their braintrust enjoys building up value rather than necessarily going for the top player that fills a need.

And there's nothing wrong with this philosophy. Rather to me it indicates that a Browns-Patriots trade is unlikely in the case of Jimmy G, who as a potential franchise QB, has value disproportionate to what Moneyball would indicate is fair price to give up.

From what I'm reading, which is all speculation, the Browns aren't closing out tonight without a starting QB.

JG
Cousins
Peterman
McCann
Kizer ........sounds like Kozar.... Trade up and get'em.

DI, this is a question, not a challenge:

Was it not you that was talking about how ineffective/overrated JB was? Maybe I'm going nuts(er).

Brissett was a QB3. The team game planned accordingly. I do think people overrated his performance, but he wasn't expected to be starter-ready in year one. The key for him is development, IMO, and the team's actions make me think they believe the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes