PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reports: Browns reached out last night about Garoppolo, were told no. Will make another offer today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's say the Browns offer both of its 2018 first round picks AND its 2019 first round pick (three first round picks in total), do people think that's a good deal for Garropolo or the Browns must give more?

Let's say the Browns offer both of its 2018 first round picks AND its 2019 first round pick (three first round picks in total), do people think that's a good deal for Garropolo or the Browns must give more?

I would take that in a New York minute.

IF true:

Adam Schefter hardest hit.

It would soften depending on the trade. If it's a "boatload" of picks for example.

Edit: after reading Deus's I agree that it would be his hardest hit regardless of the trade value.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is useful or not. Depends on how you read between the lines.

It would soften depending on the trade. If it's a "boatload" of picks for example.

C6jn-aUU0AAlQ7S.jpg

Exactly. I'd add BB puts a ton of value in risk management and will be damned an injury to TB12 derails this team's SB chances.

I agree with your whole post. BB puts a lot of emphasis on what's right for the team and therefore doesn't want the team's ability to compete compromised if they have to play their backup QB. I think he's commented openly on this aspect of team building elsewhere.

However, I think it's worth noting that BB is playing a pretty risky hand if he's turning down the kinds of offers we've been drooling onto our keyboards over.

Being able to take JG and get back, say a 1st and 2 2's, is taking one player and turning him in to at least 3. From a risk standpoint, I view that as a diversification. No one player is a guaranteed anything in this league - every player's a freak injury away from having their skills seriously diminished.

There's also the risk of not selling at the height of JG's market and ending up taking less for him (including nothing but a compensatory pick). I think this one will be hard for fans - we like the glorious sense of "winning the draft" - it's psychologically hard to accept a price being paid to avoid the potential for a bad scenario that doesn't end up transpiring.

It's interesting to think that, if this season goes according to what the plan seems to be, BB won't trade JG for anything and then Brady will start every game. In that case, BB's shown a little bit of how much he would be willing to give up to ensure a highly stabilized QB position.

Pats apparently value Jimmy more than draft picks right now.

I don't watch him in practice every week like the coaches do.

So if they love him, they are basing it on personal knowledge.

A bird in hand is better than two in the bush.

Particularly when BB sees the feeding frenzy for the subpar QBs in this draft, and likely wants no part of it.

No one has a better feel for Jimmy's potential than BB. I trust his judgment.

Last edited:
IF the Browns offer the world and more and still were told no. Big, big if.

It would be clear TO ME that he is their promised heir to Brady in 2 two years.

Check this math, see if it checks. We have just over 20M in cap space, no 1st or 2nd round pick. This means we will not spend too much on rookies this year. Whatever we have left gets carried over to next season.

IIRC, We still have a lot of cap available in future years. That means we have plenty of money for a contract (Or franchise/transition tag) for JG in the future.

Clearly, this is a lot of assumptions, but BB might be not just smokescreeing

Last edited:

Not enough. Pats would get nothing for him until next year. Want at least their 2nd this year and next year as well.

Especially since Pats can't rely on the 1st rounders to be very high. Houston is a playoff team. And Cleveland won't suck since they have JG(or at least that is what I am telling Cleveland :p).

So, no matter what Cleveland offers, BillB will say no?

Browns can give 2018: #1, #2, #2. And still no?

Why not?

Houston essentially traded three #1 picks and a #2 pick for Watson (and of course, to get Osweiler the hell off the team), and most people think Jimmy is better than Watson.

Is Jimmy a FA or an RFA next year? If the Pats have to get into a bidding war for him next year, why not trade him and allow him to play for Cleveland for one year and then bring him in as an FA at the same market rate they would have had to pay anyway? They'd be taking a chance on Brady not getting injured this year, but as was mentioned earlier, they're not getting to the SB anyway if Jimmy has to step in.

If the Browns suck this year, they'll be in position to draft Sam Darnold. At that point, the desire to pay big money + picks for JAG is likely to be nonexistent for them.

As well as they are drafting they may not suck next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes