PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reports are the Pats may upgrade the WRs through trade (not necessarily Hopkins)

What rds?

Sorry I'm not a big college guy. I'll watch the college playoffs and do a little draft prep but haven't started yet.
I think Hyatt and Addison are going to be First Rounders or very early Second Round.

Bill has to take another swing no later than the 2nd round in this year's draft. He has to keep trying.

I think Hyatt and Addison are going to be First Rounders or very early Second Round.
Perfect I don't think I want WR at 14 I mean it would be fun and all but LT or DL seem like better investments that high up. Then WR again in the second and let him and Thornton battle it out the next few years.

I think Meyers is a 10Mill receiver Tops he's ain't getting $15Mill from the Patriots maybe from some other Team.

He's probably worth around Agholor money or more in the free market, so I'd guess 12-15 million a year avg salary for Meyers

He's been solid and reliable... but he's not a #1, so he has to really fit into the overall picture to be kept on and he would also greatly benefit from the team having a true #1 WR to draw more coverage away that he can exploit

I think theres a real chance he leaves in FA tho, because some team may pay him to be The Guy, and he's just not that type of player.. hes a very solid player and reliable, but hes not a superstar

Perfect I don't think I want WR at 14 I mean it would be fun and all but LT or DL seem like better investments that high up. Then WR again in the second and let him and Thornton battle it out the next few years.
If Skoronski and Paris Johnson are gone, then trade far down if you want a tackle. It would be a shame though because the Patriots haven't picked at #14 or higher in 15 years. After the first 2, the level of play drops, and you could get that kind of tackle in the 2nd or 3rd.

If Skoronski and Paris Johnson are gone, then trade far down if you want a tackle. It would be a shame though because the Patriots haven't picked at #14 or higher in 15 years. After the first 2, the level of play drops, and you could get that kind of tackle in the 2nd or 3rd.
Im good with a DT or LB too. I kind of want the DT as we don't pick this high often and that position has staying power with Bill. Pairing up a Ty Warren like beast with Barmore and Judon and Guy would be nice.
But we all know the OL is the most important thing this off-season so hopefully one of the tackles lasts or maybe we even trade up for one. That would be a good gesture to Mac to give him a top ten LT.

Reactions: Ian
Im good with a DT or LB too. I kind of want the DT as we don't pick this high often and that position has staying power with Bill. Pairing up a Ty Warren like beast with Barmore and Judon and Guy would be nice.
But we all know the OL is the most important thing this off-season so hopefully one of the tackles lasts or maybe we even trade up for one. That would be a good gesture to Mac to give him a top ten LT.
IDL
RD2
Mazi Smith
Siaki Ika

Late RD2/Early 2
Gervon Dexter

Late/Udfa
PJ Mustipher
Jerrod Clark

The key to Edelman's ability to separate was his quickness. His 3cone speed was excellent and made him difficult to cover. Of course, he also caught passes from a decent QB, so there's that.
With Edelman it wasn't just his quickness. It started with his head and shoulder movement along with his eyes in his routes. He was able to manipulate DBs, in his release, into tough positions and explode into his stems creating separation. He was a fantastic route runner that didn't get enough credit during his career.

Edited to link a great video breaking it down a couple years ago.

Last edited:
IDL
RD2
Mazi Smith
Siaki Ika

Late RD2/Early 2
Gervon Dexter

Late/Udfa
PJ Mustipher
Jerrod Clark
How's the ILB class looking? Any fast LBs that are also good in coverage?

I would like to see Kristian Wilkerson get a chance.

He's an ERFA, so he's not going anywhere else, if they want him at all... Very concerning that he spent the entire season on IR with the concussion;
that was a real nasty hit he took.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Ian
Q: do you swing for the fences on Quentin Johnston?

You don't see 6'4" 220 pound WRs with quickness very often in the NFL.

Drake London had 72 receptions of 800 yards playing with a scrub QB.

What do you do?

If he's available at #14 - and we didn't make any real off-season splash at the position - then heck yeah I take him, gladly.

We cat <sic> just keep depending on veterans
There's a couple of in-house veteran options available. Phillips, Bledsoe for example or even Mills if they retain J. Jones or draft a CB in the 1st round.

That was Glenn's last TD here if I recall correctly. He came in with such promise, he never fully developed into what he could have been. Such a loss.

Yep; an engaged Terry Glenn, added to Brown & Patten (plus a re-signed Shawn Jefferson, a draft pick such as Justin McCareins instead of the useless Jabari Holloway or the traded-up-for Kenyatta Jones, and a retained Sean Morey) would've made Brady's life a lot easier for the rest of the 2001 season, and perhaps beyond...

I think you’re overrating Parker.

In 8 years in the league he is averaging 650 yds and 3.3 TDs per year over his career. He’s a guy who can win some jump balls but doesn’t get separation. We need to get Mac some easier throws then 50/50 jump balls.
Yep let's get back to our roots the Wes Welker - Julian Edelman and Dion Branch types guys who separate well and give the QB an easy target. I think guys like Parker and Bourne are ok but let's not get carried away with them. I expect T Thornton to make then Second year jump and a impact Rookie WR Bob is going to fix this.

Jalin Hyatt - Jordan Addison or Nathaniel Tank Dell can't miss WR's you can see it in their games.

What rds?

Sorry I'm not a big college guy. I'll watch the college playoffs and do a little draft prep but haven't started yet.

Yeah Addison looks like he might go early-mid 1st round; and Hyatt late 1st-early/mid 2nd... Too early to tell where Dell goes right now...

Yep; an engaged Terry Glenn, added to Brown & Patten (plus a re-signed Shawn Jefferson, a draft pick such as Justin McCareins instead of the useless Jabari Holloway or the traded-up-for Kenyatta Jones, and a retained Sean Morey) would've made Brady's life a lot easier for the rest of the 2001 season, and perhaps beyond...
Glenn was such an enigma. What could have been, eh ?

Really hope some other Team beats us to D Hopkins.

Packers and Chiefs would have a hard time absorbing his current salary, let alone giving him the raise he probably wants.

Packers and Chiefs would have a hard time absorbing his current salary, let alone giving him the raise he probably wants.
Two years ago yes on Hopkins today heck no.

How's the ILB class looking? Any fast LBs that are also good in coverage?
Not the best, definitely seen better classes.

Trent Simpson looks pretty good though in that role though. Hes an athlete that moves well and seems like a quick processor. Gets in the muck at times, tries to be physical but he's a good coverage backer for not really knowing what hes doing. Comfortable taking away the flat or as an overhang defender. Him or Drew Sanders will be LB1.

Dorian Williams, Dax Hollifield are two late - udfa types with ST abilities and coverage skills. SirVocea Dennis is a favorite of mine along with Payton Wilson. Wilson is a throwback with two ACL tears I believe who closelines RB'S. Extremely aggressive and physical lol. Might never play a down but he has a little fan following bc of his style.

Owen Pappoe is really good prospect who'll probably go top 100. Versatile but he's effective from different spots even if he's a bit inconsistent and undersized. Lots of intangibles. Natural athlete. Could probably utilize his length a bit more in tight quarters.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back