PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Two Comp Pick For Pats. Round 3,Round 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Donkeys seem to be really killing it at getting compensatory picks the last few years. Perennial comp picks champ ratbirds still doing well with the 3rd round comp pick but that was their only pick this draft.

Yup, it's just one part of the overall strategy, but it's also a useful one. What's telling to me is - if you take a look at the historical chart the NFL lists at the bottom, if you divide that group in the top half and the bottom half, on the whole the teams in the top half have been more successful in that time period than the team in the bottom half (granted that Cleveland and Houston had a few missing years). It's not a guarantee as there are exceptions in each group, but on the whole, that's how it's been.

@FreeTedWilliams -- I don't blame you for your skepticism with the NFL.... but it turns out that there were *11* third round comp picks, 2 more than even overthecap.com was predicting. As you noted before, they never had given out more than 6. Mack did turn out to be #7 though.

NFL Announces 32 Compensatory Draft Choices to 16 Clubs

I was shocked when I heard that they gave out 11 3rd round comp picks until I looked and saw that the Jets got the 11th one. THey have basically added a whole round of picks before you get to the 7th (which should be more accurately called the 8th) round.

So the end result of the Collins trade was the Pat's got the comp pick for Collins a year earlier. Still a terrible value.

Patriots Estimated Draft Picks.PNG
Pats draft picks. Derby may end up getting us a decent player in this deep of a draft. A Jimmy G trade could give BB the most draft capital he's ever had in a single draft.

Last edited:
I was shocked when I heard that they gave out 11 3rd round comp picks until I looked and saw that the Jets got the 11th one. THey have basically added a whole round of picks before you get to the 7th (which should be more accurately called the 8th) round.

So the end result of the Collins trade was the Pat's got the comp pick for Collins a year earlier. Still a terrible value.

Good point on the bolded, that didn't hit me before....

Regarding Collins, at the end of the day I'm not going to question the trade as they won the Super Bowl without him and he would be walking now anyway as you note. If the rumors are true, apparently they went to Houston first and asked for DeAndre Hopkins and were told no. The fact that they initially asked for Hopkins, and wound up trading him away for pick #103, tells me just how desperate the Pats were to get rid of Collins. I'm stunned and wonder exactly what the problem was. Hindsight being 20/20, I'm sure they wish they traded Collins in the prior offseason instead, and they would have gotten at least the same package they did for Chandler Jones and probably a lot better.

View attachment 16385

Pats draft picks. Derby may end up getting us a decent player in this deep of a draft. A Jimmy G trade could give BB the most draft capital he's ever had in a single draft.

That list is wrong (unless it was officially released by the NFL). The Pats are forfeiting the Seattle 4th round pick due to DefameGate, not their own.

Also, I believe the 7th rounder the Pats have is actually their own (i.e. pick #252) and not Detroit's. It was a convoluted situation - they traded away their 7th to Detroit for Michael Williams, but then reacquired it as part of the Van Noy deal.

Last edited:
View attachment 16385

I don't know. Didn't we have 4 picks in the second round alone the year that Vollmer was taken? Or am I misremembering the way that went down?

profile_image

jeffphowe
Falcons are too kind to Pats. Because they signed Alex Mack, the Browns got 3rd-round comp pick that now swings to Pats from Collins trade.
Rising Up the draft boards!

Not really. If you just reverse engineer the usual "A year later is a round lower" to "A year earlier is a round higher", the Patriots just got the equivalent of a 2nd round comp pick for an under performing player who wasn't going to be coming back. That may not be top dollar, but it's not terrible value, either.

I don't know. Didn't we have 4 picks in the second round alone the year that Vollmer was taken? Or am I misremembering the way that went down?

12 + 32 would be worth about 1,800 points. Four mid 2nd rounders are worth about 1,660 points (That is if you believe those goofy trade charts :D)

That list is wrong (unless it was officially released by the NFL). The Pats are forfeiting the Seattle 4th round pick due to DefameGate, not their own.

Also, I believe the 7th rounder the Pats have is actually their own (i.e. pick #252) and not Detroit's. It was a convoluted situation - they traded away their 7th to Detroit for Michael Williams, but then reacquired it as part of the Van Noy deal.

Thanks for the help. I made it and wasn't sure how the Van Noy trade worked. So the NFL gets the Seattle pick, dang.

Rising Up the draft boards!

And somewhere, there will be a hater complaining that there is something wrong with the extra picks the Pats are getting and the league should investigate.

Now according to my math, that means the Pats now have 10 picks in this draft, and IMHO, that is already too many, given the fairly stacked roster we will have going into this draft. Personally I'd like to see us trade at least 3 of these picks into the future. I don't want to draft good players, train them well in TC, then watch them wind up on other teams' rosters and PS's.

Usually I would agree but in a draft this good I hate to trade a current pick for a future pick unless you move up a lot. Some of the guys around that will be there for our 3rd round picks are going to be pretty darn good players. I tried to look at a few mock drafts and there were guys even after 96 that I'd be happy to pick at 64 and I saw it in every single mock. This class is REALLY good for depth and quality depth.

Now if they want to trade 5th or lower into the future that I am A-okay with.

Thanks for the help. I made it and wasn't sure how the Van Noy trade worked. So the NFL gets Seattle, dang.

I've since been looking for backup on the Van Noy situation and haven't found it. So it's only based on my recollection which may be faulty. The Seattle situation is definitely true, unfortunately; it was the "Jerod Mayo poison pill" that the NFL added to the punishment to be even more vindictive.

Thanks for the help. I made it and wasn't sure how the Van Noy trade worked. So the NFL gets Seattle, dang.

Worse still is the Pats will basically have to sit on their hands during the 4th round, since if they try and trade up for anyone they will immediately lose the pick!

That poison pill was vindictive as hell, and most fans only think about the lost 1st and 4th rounder, and not the opportunity loss of being unable to trade in that round.

I was thinking three.

Darius Butler
Ron Brace
Sebastien Vollmer

I was thinking three.

Darius Butler
Ron Brace
Sebastien Vollmer

The 4th was Patrick Chung (#34) - he was the direct compensation for Cassel and Vrabel.

In 2010 they had 3 picks - Gronk, Spikes, and Jermaine Cunningham.

Worse still is the Pats will basically have to sit on their hands during the 4th round, since if they try and trade up for anyone they will immediately lose the pick!

That poison pill was vindictive as hell, and most fans only think about the lost 1st and 4th rounder, and not the opportunity loss of being unable to trade in that round.

1801_6.gif

"It's perfectly reasonable because blah blah blah blah made up evidence blah blah blah I can do whatever I want blah blah blah f@ck the Patriots blah blah blah did I say that out loud blah blah blah looking forward to my next visit to Foxborough..."

Last edited:
I believe the Pats can trade the Seattle 4th round pick as long as they have their 4th round pick to pay extortion with.

I believe the Pats can trade the Seattle 4th round pick as long as they have their 4th round pick to pay extortion with.

I think you are right and that the Pats should be able to maneuver at least until the draft starts, if not until the 4th round starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST