PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Two Comp Pick For Pats. Round 3,Round 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
profile_image

jeffphowe
Falcons are too kind to Pats. Because they signed Alex Mack, the Browns got 3rd-round comp pick that now swings to Pats from Collins trade.

So we looking at back to back picks in the 3rd round? Sweet!!!! We might have six selections in the first 3 rounds if they trade jimmy.

I'm sure there's a joke there somewhere.

I think this gives us flexibility as well if they wanna give up one of those 3rd round picks for a player in a trade.

So we looking at back to back picks in the 3rd round? Sweet!!!! We might have six selections in the first 3 rounds if they trade jimmy.

Not quite - the 3rd round comp pick of Cleveland's was actually the 7th third round comp pick. So the Pats will have pick #96 and then pick #103.

Not quite - the 3rd round comp pick of Cleveland's was actually the 7th third rounder. So the Pats will have pick #96 and then pick #103.

Damn it. Not bad i guess. Bill loves value. Maybe he can find some gems.

Now according to my math, that means the Pats now have 10 picks in this draft, and IMHO, that is already too many, given the fairly stacked roster we will have going into this draft. Personally I'd like to see us trade at least 3 of these picks into the future. I don't want to draft good players, train them well in TC, then watch them wind up on other teams' rosters and PS's.

@FreeTedWilliams -- I don't blame you for your skepticism with the NFL.... but it turns out that there were *11* third round comp picks, 2 more than even overthecap.com was predicting. As you noted before, they never had given out more than 6. Mack did turn out to be #7 though.

NFL Announces 32 Compensatory Draft Choices to 16 Clubs

The Donkeys seem to be really killing it at getting compensatory picks the last few years. Perennial comp picks champ ratbirds still doing well with the 3rd round comp pick but that was their only pick this draft.

Damn it. Not bad i guess. Bill loves value. Maybe he can find some gems.

Hopefully. But it's really all about the numbers with him I guess. The more picks, the better the odds of someone making it.

They've been in similar boat recently. 2015:
- Pats traded out of #96 for #111 and change.
- They also had #97 (1st 3rd round comp pick) for having lost Talib the year before
- Also had pick #101 (2nd pick of 4th round) as part of the Mankins trade
- Took Geno Grissom with #97, Trey Flowers with #101, Tre Jackson with #111 (note that some of the "change" from the #96 trade was turned into Joe Cardona and AJ Derby)

2016 (note two stolen picks, one from us and one from the Chiefs, made #94 the last traditional pick of 3rd round):
- Pick #91, they took Jacoby Brissett
- Pick #96 (2nd 3rd round comp pick for having lost Revis), they took Vincent Valentine

So more plusses than minuses in my opinion, but certainly not perfect.

Now according to my math, that means the Pats now have 10 picks in this draft, and IMHO, that is already too many, given the fairly stacked roster we will have going into this draft. Personally I'd like to see us trade at least 3 of these picks into the future. I don't want to draft good players, train them well in TC, then watch them wind up on other teams' rosters and PS's.

They can also trade one of those late picks for a player.

Hopefully. But it's really all about the numbers with him I guess. The more picks, the better the odds of someone making it.

They've been in similar boat recently. 2015:
- Pats traded out of #96 for #111 and change.
- They also had #97 (1st 3rd round comp pick) for having lost Talib the year before
- Also had pick #101 (2nd pick of 4th round) as part of the Mankins trade
- Took Geno Grissom with #97, Trey Flowers with #101, Tre Jackson with #111 (note that some of the "change" from the #96 trade was turned into Joe Cardona and AJ Derby)

2016 (note two stolen picks, one from us and one from the Chiefs, made #94 the last traditional pick of 3rd round):
- Pick #91, they took Jacoby Brissett
- Pick #96 (2nd 3rd round comp pick for having lost Revis), they took Vincent Valentine

So more plusses than minuses in my opinion, but certainly not perfect.

This draft's deep at defensive line and corner. I would like to see them add some young pass rushers next to flowers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back