PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: surgery for Gronk

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can beat OAK without him. Chiefs just beat the incredible Broncos D without ONE SINGLE WR

Yup, no Jamaal Charles, no WRs to really speak of, an O-line that is at best on par with the Pats and Alex Smith as their quarterback

Granted the Chiefs defense has some serious weapons on it, but we tore them up last year in the playoffs and made them look like a high school defense

So if he suffered the injury in the Seahawks game, and rather then getting surgery a week ago, he instead played the Jets game with an already ruptured disc?

For all the people who complain that he's cautious with his body and maybe doesn't always buy into the timeline that the team wants to set for him... well, here you go. Stuff like this is exactly why the players would be smart to get second opinions on every injury and maybe not have a ton of faith in the team doctors' opinions on this stuff. In hindsight, it's pretty clear he shouldn't have played last week. The Pats are the best in the business and I give them the benefit of the doubt most of the time, but they really screw themselves sometimes by putting guys out there when they shouldn't be.

Haha yea, this is exactly what I was thinking.. All the people earlier in the week calling him a soft ****y are a total joke.. The Patriots training staff and doctors yet again put Gronk at further risk of injury trying to rush him out there

The guy had a ruptured disc in his back and still suited up and played a game against the Jets.. That's a credit to Gronk and his toughness, and completely appalling of the Patriots team doctors and training staff

I'd never trust another thing that the team doctors ever said to me without getting a 2nd opinion

I have a herniated disk, lots of people do. Some are more serious than others. Mine is no big deal.

I predict he'll be back for the conference championship. Laser surgery, if that's what he gets has a very fast recovery time.

Are you saying Derby as a blocker is useless?

Not sure if that is what he was saying, but I can answer that with a resounding "Yes"

Derby is just a large body WR. He had some incredible preseason catches and I would have loved to see them develop him some more, but he didn't do anything in his first few regular season games with Gronk out and he hasn't done anything on the Broncos either

Cheesh! It's page 13 of the thread.

Why am I the first to post a big Thank You to Gronk for all he's given the team and us fans, especially when he's playing hurt? I wish him a full recovery that allows him to return to playing the game at a high level again or at least to a normal life after football if this proves to be a "surgery too far."

The Pats are clearly a different team without him and we can't pretend otherwise, but all of this whining is kind of pathetic.

because this is one of the most negative, masochistic boards on earth for some reason these last few weeks.. but you're right, we should all be thanking him.. hes an incredible player that has brought us a lot of excitement and has put up incredible numbers.. he constantly battles through pain and even serious injury to produce for this team

People are obviously upset, I'm one of them.. but the level of saltiness from a lot of posters is really not cool.. but its been like that for several weeks.. the loss to the Seahawks just put people over the edge to the point where they can't even enjoy a victory over the hated Jets and just spew more negative stuff about the team

If we lose Bennett, Edelman and Brady for the year, then I'll throw the towel in... but i'd still root on Jimmy G

Looks like he's done for the year.

dczfiu.jpg

Send a 6'5" 265 pound TE who is coming back from injury on multiple long fly patterns.

Awesome.

Same thing happened against the Texans in January 2013.

Here's an idea - - how 'bout you don't play with fire and LESSEN the chance (not eliminate, mind you) for injury to the guy in his first game back by not sending him on Shawn Jefferson patterns?

I completely agree.. he missed a game, then came back for the Jets game.. they could have easily sent Bennett on that pattern and used Gronk more in the run game and shorter routes, etc...

Hindsight is always 20/20, but the Pats staff seem to be very comfortable gambling with their star player so soon after injuries

OF COURSE they are two different injuries. But any sports doctor will tell you an athlete overcompensates for one weak area if he is weakened in another when he comes back. The way he took the falls Sunday could easily have been affected by his previous injury. It happens all the time.

Question is 'why the long fly patterns for him in that situation'?

I think the crux of your point is that, you have 2 great TEs on your roster... so why are you sending your weakened TE out on those long fly patterns fresh off a collapsed long/chest injury when you could send the other?

They don't exactly ease him back into things.. its like "Gronk is back, LETS GO DEEEEEEEEPPPP!!!!!"

Obviously my frustration and emotions are making it seem way worse, but AAARRRRGGGHHHH!

now he's not coming back for the SB it looks like... this really really sucks

that deep pass did it...he landed hard, as usual on those type of plays, which begs the question..why that play call for a guy coming off a lung injury.

Has there ever been a player in the BB regime other than Gronkowski where the team issues joint statements with the player's family? How strange. And this wasn't the first one.

Not always, herniated doesnt mean a full rupture, I had two in my neck, sucked, still have some nerve damage into my hand from it. But no leakage at all. We wont ever know the details about Gronk though.
Sure, "not always," but I'm just curious, if you have nerve damage in your hand, wouldn't it be from either the disk or fluid pressing/laying on a nerve root? Obviously you know the specifics, but I'm curious as to what "other" kinds of hell cause something like that (to keep me up at night).

I agree that we're unlikely to ever know the full details re: Gronk, although it's been previously reported that his first 2 were on separate disks. We know this latest one is in the lower back again, so we can assume maybe somewhere between L3-L5 (?)

Not sure why people are focused on the long pass, he could have just as easily hurt it catching passes over the middle getting drilled. It's football, you get hit and fall down a lot, this would have happened at some point imo.

I completely agree.. he missed a game, then came back for the Jets game.. they could have easily sent Bennett on that pattern and used Gronk more in the run game and shorter routes, etc...

Hindsight is always 20/20, but the Pats staff seem to be very comfortable gambling with their star player so soon after injuries

Not only that, but this was the first year in almost a decade (Moss/Stallworth?) when the New England Patriots had two legitimate 6'+ deep threats at WR.

The question is why throw Gronk deep twice when he could not fly in an airplane 8 days earlier.?Unbelievably bad judgement.

Saw this elsewhere. No idea how accurate (or not):
"Disc failure is a chronic phenomenon and is usually based on the luck of your genetic draw. Surgery really only works for acute disc failure (infected discs, or discs that ruptured along with a major bony fracture), because the discs are just going to keep failing."

Well you sure know how to ruin a party... jesus.. this is all I will be thinking about tonight with my insomnia

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST