PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: surgery for Gronk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a herniated disk, lots of people do. Some are more serious than others. Mine is no big deal.
proble
I predict he'll be back for the conference championship. Laser surgery, if that's what he gets has a very fast recovery time.

Strangely enough, I had back surgery this morning, disc problem & pinched nerve required a 4/5 lumbar fusion. Done laproscopically, and I was home in 5 hours. I'm very sore tonight (when the percoset wears off!) but I am instructed to not lift more than 10 pounds for 3 whole months. I am already walking though.

Not only that, but this was the first year in almost a decade (Moss/Stallworth?) when the New England Patriots had two legitimate 6'+ deep threats at WR.

The question is why throw Gronk deep twice when he could not fly in an airplane 8 days earlier.?Unbelievably bad judgement.
i think that's kind of ridiculous. it's not like there's a ton of precedent for players getting injured more on deep balls. other way around if anything. and if he's cleared, they'll run the best plays they have. doubt he was cleared to only run slants, hitches, outs, and comebacks

Is there any stud WRs coming out in next years draft?

We met with the surgeon on a Tuesday and her surgery was on Friday. The surgery went well but the surgeon explained to me that he had to remove most of her disc. If she has problems with the same disc in the future the next step would be a fusion.

I have no idea how anyone in the media can put a time table on Gronks recovery. I just hope he has a full recovery and doesn't have any long term health issues.

Thanks for sharing your story, @grux. I wish your wife the best. It isn't the easiest road to recovery. How is she doing now?

As far as the media's often incorrect assumptions, I certainly agree with you that it would be virtually impossible to predict, although I don't find it to be coincidental that the statement issued today claims that he's almost certainly done for the year.

Not sure why people are focused on the long pass, he could have just as easily hurt it catching passes over the middle getting drilled. It's football, you get hit and fall down a lot, this would have happened at some point imo.
Tru....but it seems when a guy is running full speed and lays out that there is a increased risk of injury. Happens a lot.

I have a herniated disk, lots of people do. Some are more serious than others. Mine is no big deal.

I predict he'll be back for the conference championship. Laser surgery, if that's what he gets has a very fast recovery time.

There is zero chance he comes back this year. Plus do you think the Gronks family would let him play?

Dude may be done for good after this surgery.

Thanks for sharing your story, @grux. I wish your wife the best. It isn't the easiest road to recovery. How is she doing now?

As far as the media's often incorrect assumptions, I certainly agree with you that it would be virtually impossible to predict, although I don't find it to be coincidental that the statement issued today claims that he's almost certainly done for the year.
Probably why they're waiting til after surgery to make any decisions.

i think that's kind of ridiculous. it's not like there's a ton of precedent for players getting injured more on deep balls. other way around if anything. and if he's cleared, they'll run the best plays they have. doubt he was cleared to only run slants, hitches, outs, and comebacks
I respectfully disagree and all you'd have to do is ask my neighbors how much I lost my **** when they threw that ball, and that was before anyone was even concerned about injury. I agree with @shmessy that it was horrible judgement. Just terrible.

In case you forgot, Brady overthrew him and made him sprawl out down the right sideline a few yrs ago which ruined our postseason. You'd think that maybe considering his past and current health situations, they may have been a bit more cautious. It is what it is, but I think shmessy has quite the valid point here.

This was such a lethal offense, especially with Lewis being back. Didn't get to see it fully healthy at all. Somewhat for 3 or 4 games without Lewis, but that's about it.

Injuries really piss me off.

You know, after the 4th Super Bowl I said to myself "after this, everything else is gravy". I'll always root for the Pats, but I don't have this overwhelming burning desire to win a title anymore. The 4th one is the one I really wanted. I feel content... at least for a while.

So, in a sense that helps me not be completely and utterly devastated by this news. Gronk is the greatest tight end of all time. Most of us know that... but if he's not on the field, the ceiling of the team is lowered. Games will be harder, tougher, tighter. Especially in the playoffs. Winning was going to be tough enough with the defense playing the way it has been... now Gronk... yeah, let's just say I'm already looking forward to next season and a healthy Gronk (hopefully).

I would have felt that way after the 4th, but Deflategate and the media completely ruined not only the 2 week build up to the Superbowl, but the next 2 years following it as well

Probably why they're waiting til after surgery to make any decisions.
They released a press release a couple of hrs ago stating that he's most likely done for the year. Just in case you haven't seen any of the articles from the past 2 surgeries, it takes a full 6 weeks just for the scar to heal.

Gronk is an insanely "in shape" athlete, but he won't even be allowed to lift a gallon of milk for a solid 5-6 weeks. You'd be right in noting that every situation is different, so all we can do is stay hopeful, but if he comes back this year I will most happily buy your membership dues for life. ;)

I respectfully disagree and all you'd have to do is ask my neighbors how much I lost my **** when they threw that ball, and that was before anyone was even concerned about injury. I agree with @shmessy that it was horrible judgement. Just terrible.

In case you forgot, Brady overthrew him and made him sprawl out down the right sideline a few yrs ago which ruined our postseason. You'd think that maybe considering his past and current health situations, they may have been a bit more cautious. It is what it is, but I think shmessy has quite the valid point here.
fair enough, but i obviously disagree. what routes did we want him running, exactly? he got hurt two weeks ago running a seam up the middle. so nothing over the middle, no deep balls... just 10 yard outs?

This will make Lewis even more key now, Pats are going to murder teams by committee. Don't forget they still have one of the best TE's in the game in Marty.

Can we activate DJ Foster now?
Or is there some tightend on a practice squad we have our eye on?
AJ Derby thing is sad

They released a press release a couple of hrs ago stating that he's most likely done for the year. Just in case you haven't seen any of the articles from the past 2 surgeries, it takes a full 6 weeks just for the scar to heal.

Gronk is an insanely "in shape" athlete, but he won't even be allowed to lift a gallon of milk for a solid 5-6 weeks. You'd be right in noting that every situation is different, so all we can do is stay hopeful, but if he comes back this year I will most happily buy your membership dues for life. ;)
I read it but they are waiting til after the surgery to make a decision, maybe hoping for a miracle? I don't know, just stating facts.

Is Gronk's surgery the Romo one by the way?

@supafly
Thanks for making me feel better about my herniated c6. :( I've been in PT for a few weeks and haven't had any improvement. Next step is the injection but by the sounds of it, it may not be very effective... But at least my trainer is cute!
PT didn't help me, and neither did the first steroid epidural. The 2nd epidural made a tremendous difference, though. I was finally able to stand and walk longer than about 30-60 seconds.

Unfortunately, they don't last too long, and they usually cap your limit at 3 for a calendar year. I had my third in July and was actually feeling much better. I even attended a concert which was remarkable to be able to walk and move around.

They did a 2nd MRI to see if anything had changed, but it didn't, so I opted for the surgery. The neurosurgeon said that the last epidural may last another month, or possibly just another day, but that surgery was inevitable. I certainly wish you the best. The fact that it's cervical/neck may help your case more than a lower back issue, so fingers crossed.

I read it but they are waiting til after the surgery to make a decision, maybe hoping for a miracle? I don't know, just stating facts.
I know, bud. I suppose I'm just preparing myself for what I see as realistic. I certainly hope that things work out for the best, whether that's this season or even next year.

Is Gronk's surgery the Romo one by the way?
No. Not even close.

Romo's compression fracture (had one of those, too. FML) was a 6-8 week timeframe where the body heals itself without need for surgery in many cases. It's painful for awhile, but the area usually heals and strengthens itself without too much issue.

Gronk's back surgeries have been much more serious and concerning for the future, although he's young and seems to bounce back nicely.

No. Not even close.

Romo's compression fracture (had one of those, too. FML) was a 6-8 week timeframe where the body heals itself without need for surgery in many cases. It's painful for awhile, but the area usually heals and strengthens itself without too much issue.

Gronk's back surgeries have been much more serious and concerning for the future, although he's young and seems to bounce back nicely.
Ahh i see, thanks for clearing that. Thing is Gronk is already looking bionic i don't really see this slowing him down when he returns. I honestly see him suiting up in the SB if we get there and being the wildcard that can win it for us

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST