PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: surgery for Gronk

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a side note, I just made a bet with a co-worker for $200 that Gronk isn't released next season.

Gronkowski the way he plays he opens himself up for way too many injuries, its time to start being more.

Riley realistic.

Bro, come on. You know it's true.

Let's just hope Marty can stay healthy and give up some of the stuff Gronk could. Who knows. Maybe they can still get one for the thumb

To say his career is over is way to premature.

On a side note, I just made a bet with a co-worker for $200 that Gronk isn't released next season.
Easy money for you.

They'll trade him before they release him

I've seen a lot of posters mentioning their own battles and surgeries with back injuries.

What is it that you guys did that caused these injuries, because it sounds like hell and I'd like to avoid it much as possible as I get older.

Age.

I'm 45 and in pretty good shape. Stuff just happens.

TBH, I think TB12 is on to something. As you get older your body loses flexibility and the ability to heal and recover quickly from injury. I'm seriously considering doing yoga or some kind of stretching instead of running or other exercise.

How my body will function at 60 scares the hell out of me. Corpses will have more flexibility.

I've seen a lot of posters mentioning their own battles and surgeries with back injuries.

What is it that you guys did that caused these injuries, because it sounds like hell and I'd like to avoid it much as possible as I get older.

Budweiser and chicken wings.

Id rather lose Gronk now than in the AFCC like 2011.

Malcolm Mitchell just became a key weapon.

Age.

I'm 45 and in pretty good shape. Stuff just happens.

TBH, I think TB12 is on to something. As you get older your body loses flexibility and the ability to heal and recover quickly from injury. I'm seriously considering doing yoga or some kind of stretching instead of running or other exercise.

How my body will function at 60 scares the hell out of me. Corpses will have more flexibility.

Do yoga, you won't regret it. Not one bit- but it's equally as important to find a good teacher. I have a great one and do it 1-2x a week. No more back pain, or joint pain.

As cliche as it is, I've learned that your diet is the most important change you can make. I have at this point, given up alcohol, soda, and coffee, in addition to red meat and dairy products, and the difference has been tremendous (Brady wasn't joking when he talked about what a big difference that makes). Can't remember the last time I was sick or had heartburn. I also have a lot less aching and soreness. I'm still working on giving up more. Sweets are my weakness.

Whenever I saw old people stooped over, shuffling, or otherwise debilitated, I used to think that was the inevitable product of old age. As it was, I couldn't have been more wrong.

That is what happens when you don't take care of yourself.

...and Dion Lewis, Hogan and Mitchell.

Ya but apparently the GOAT QB is a JAG without Gronk.

Because I guess Brady's career started in '10 and he didn't play 9 years and win 3 SB before Gronk.

Do yoga, you won't regret it. Not one bit- but it's equally as important to find a good teacher. I have a great one and do it 1-2x a week. No more back pain, or joint pain.

As cliche as it is, I've learned that your diet is the most important change you can make. I have at this point, given up alcohol, soda, and coffee, in addition to red meat and dairy products, and the difference has been tremendous (Brady wasn't joking when he talked about what a big difference that makes). Can't remember the last time I was sick or had heartburn. I also have a lot less aching and soreness. I'm still working on giving up more. Sweets are my weakness.

Whenever I saw old people stooped over, shuffling, or otherwise debilitated, I used to think that was the inevitable product of old age. As it was, I couldn't have been more wrong.

That is what happens when you don't take care of yourself.

Yep on the diet. How your body processes synthetics, chemicals and toxins has a huge impact on the bones, joints and muscles.

The booze and coffee will be hard for me. I'm not a big drinker but I like a scotch, beer and wine every now and then.

I rarely eats sweets or red meat so I think I can give those up entirely.

Mrs RW expressed an interest in doing yoga as well. Like everything just gotta make the time, commit and stick to it.

Has there ever been a player in the BB regime other than Gronkowski where the team issues joint statements with the player's family? How strange. And this wasn't the first one.
Good point.
To me, it's a good sign that there are people in his life who care about his long term well-being. None of us can know what the outcome of this surgery will be or what it will say for Gronkowski's future, but it's not totally out of the question that his ability to lead a normal life with normal mobility for the rest of his life might come into the decision process.

Strangely enough, I had back surgery this morning, disc problem & pinched nerve required a 4/5 lumbar fusion. Done laproscopically, and I was home in 5 hours. I'm very sore tonight (when the percoset wears off!) but I am instructed to not lift more than 10 pounds for 3 whole months. I am already walking though.
Good luck. I hope things turn out well for you.

I've had back problems all my life, as has my brother. Luckily, I've been pain free for years now, but I'm always wary of the first symptoms of something being wrong.

Some of it's genetic. Some of it has to do with height...the taller you are and your weight relative to your height are also factors. Flexibility. Overall conditioning. Gronkowski is 6'6" and, according to the team, carries 265 pounds. 215 or so would be a normal healthy weight for that height, but he's not carrying around fat. Flexibility would be really important for someone at that weight for his height.

For the rest of us, the key is to keep our weight in the healthy bmi range and work on our flexibility. Otherwise, if we're genetically prone to back problems, we could throw our backs out taking down the Christmas tree or bending over at a weird angle to tie our shoes (I've done both). Getting hit by a 275 pound defensive back might also cause a problem...

I don't know why some patriots fans are in denial about a performance drop with Gronk out.

Take a look at how Gronkowski's absence has affected Tom Brady since he joined the Patriots in 2010.

gronk has missed 19 games over his career. Tom Brady has started 17 of those games. And over a season's worth of games, here is his statline:

Comp%: 57.3
Yards/attempts: 6.5
Rating: 82.4

Compared to Brady's numbers when gronkowski plays

Comp%: 65.3
Yards/attempts: 7.9
Rating: 103.5

Enough said

Whereas Garopollo this year without Gronk:
Comp%: 70
Yards/attempt: 8.3
Rating: 117.1

Seems like we should sit Brady then :p

I respectfully disagree and all you'd have to do is ask my neighbors how much I lost my **** when they threw that ball, and that was before anyone was even concerned about injury. I agree with @shmessy that it was horrible judgement. Just terrible.

In case you forgot, Brady overthrew him and made him sprawl out down the right sideline a few yrs ago which ruined our postseason. You'd think that maybe considering his past and current health situations, they may have been a bit more cautious. It is what it is, but I think shmessy has quite the valid point here.

Can you please stop with implying that Brady/Playcalling has some kind of blame here ?

Are you seriously claiming that at deep route is more dangerous than inline blocking, wham blocking or his usual seam routes ? If the Jets player landing on his back caused this then there is pretty good chance that this hit was literally merely the straw which broke Gronk's back and there was an overseen/undiagnosed issue with one of the discs. This could have happened on any other play in the game.

Given how thorough the medicals exam were based on the Pats/Gronk letter you can't even blame anyone for rushing him back.

In fact, I'd turn your criticism around and say that the playcalling was already conservative and rather protective of Gronk since he didn't block much and didn't work the middle of the field until the went out. It's ridiculous to claim that the team did anything wrong here.

Gronkowski the way he plays he opens himself up for way too many injuries, its time to start being more.

Yup, he is the modern day Marc Bavaro.

Yup, he is the modern day Marc Bavaro.

The pride of Danvers, MA.

Rambo had a degenerative knee condition. Both Tuna and BB have said they have never been around a player who has a higher pain threshold than Mark Bavaro.

I have at this point, given up alcohol, soda, and coffee, in addition to red meat and dairy products, and the difference has been tremendous

So you'll live a long time, but at such a terrible cost...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST