PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Patriots looked into trade for Case Keenum

No. I think if Bill were done with him, he'd no longer be here.

I think he will be on the 53 as the back up.

we claimed Corral off the waiver wire, so we had to put him on the 53... not sure how long he needs to stay on the 53... could see us keeping him in the number 2 spot for a week, then moving him down to inactive as the third/emergency qb while BZ takes over as number 2...
Yeah Bill has already called Zappe a good young player and he's looking forward to working with him in his development.

Interesting that he chose the word "development". That tells me the practice squad is exactly where he should be.

Sort of OT but here's my power rankings for Pats backup QBs in the BB/Brady and post Brady eras

1. Drew
2. Jimmy
3. Cassel
4. Brisket
5. Hoyer
6. Zappe
7. Huard
8. Flutie
9. Mallett
10. Stidham

Hard to say where Keenum would be on this list. He'd be up there though. Maybe after Jimmy?
The first 6 all won games where the backup had to come in and play. Drew won the AFC championship game! Were there any others who came in and won?

No. I think if Bill were done with him, he'd no longer be here.

I think he will be on the 53 as the back up.

I think Bill is hosting tryouts for #2, and he's accepting of keeping Zappe in the competition. Players come back from this, sometimes better. But Bill knows he can't play this game of bringing him up and moving him down because some team will say "WTF they could upgrade if they had to. They still trust Zappe as backup." Any current backup QB in this league deserves a free look, right?

So yes, if Bill promotes Zappe to the 53, of course he stays, but this gig will be over when a few guys get hurt and roster spots aren't as limited.

we claimed Corral off the waiver wire, so we had to put him on the 53... not sure how long he needs to stay on the 53... could see us keeping him in the number 2 spot for a week, then moving him down to inactive as the third/emergency qb while BZ takes over as number 2...

You were on Team Russey! Think about the OL this week. Three players have to be considered limited, at least conditioning wise. Is Mafi going to backup both guard positions? Are they going to use rookie Andrews to back up right guard and center? What is the team going to do for backup at center and right guard, when going in there is a possibility the team might have to go deep at guard?

And they have to bring up a RB, right?

So unless the team cuts someone I think Zappe falls third.

Last edited:
The first 6 all won games where the backup had to come in and play. Drew won the AFC championship game! Were there any others who came in and won?
Great question. I guess Brady himself but I'm not counting him lol

Yeah Bill has already called Zappe a good young player and he's looking forward to working with him in his development.

Interesting that he chose the word "development". That tells me the practice squad is exactly where he should be.
Meant to add that if this was baseball, Zappe would have been sent down to AAA minors for some work and development. If he has a future in the NFL this will be good for him.

I think Bill is hosting tryouts for #2, and he's accepting of keeping Zappe in the competition. Players come back from this, sometimes better. But Bill knows he can't play this game of bringing him up and moving him down because some team will say "WTF they could upgrade if they had to. They still trust Zappe as backup." Any current backup QB in this league deserves a free look, right?

So yes, if Bill promotes Zappe to the 53, of course he stays, but this gig will be over when a few guys get hurt and roster spots aren't as limited.
Interesting... Has there been any news of tryouts? I haven't heard a peep about us bringing in any qbs for a look see...

You were on Team Russey! Think about the OL this week. Three players have to be considered limited, at least conditioning wise. Is Mafi going to backup both guard positions? Are they going to use rookie Andrews to back up right guard and center? What is the team going to do for backup at center and right guard, when going in there is a possibility the team might have to go deep at guard?
huh? you've lost me here... Team Russey? I don't think I have ever staked a claim to being on Kody Russeys personal bandwagon... be that as it may... The Line this week should look like this T.Brown C.Strange D.Andrews M.Onwenu C.Anderson... I am hoping we don't need any back-ups... at this point I'd tab Ferentz as the back up for the interior line positions... Not sure if McDermott is healthy, but if he is, I think he's your swing tackle... and if we lose more than 2 O-Linemen, it wont matter who is playing under center...

And they have to bring up a RB, right?
Do they? I would hope so, but meh...
So unless the team cuts someone I think Zappe falls third.
*scratches head* he's obviously the 2nd string qb... maybe not for this week... because of the roster obligations due Matt Corral

That's crazy to see they see what I see.
He was on a short list of Vet QB's that I think would have been better replacements for the Hoyer role.

Please defend how he has managed the QB position since 2017.
The last 3 seasons

Browns
11 - 5
8 - 9
7 - 10
26 - 24

1 post season W
1 post season L

Pats
7 - 9
10 - 7
8 - 9
25 - 25

0 post season W
1 post season L

That's crazy to see they see what I see.
He was on a short list of Vet QB's that I think would have been better replacements for the Hoyer role.
I wonder what the trade cost would have been?

Interesting... Has there been any news of tryouts? I haven't heard a peep about us bringing in any qbs for a look see...

They signed a QB, and rumors of trading for a veteran. I didn't mean "tryout" in the sense of bringing a bunch in, but "tryout" in let's see Corral vs Zappe and whomever else might be available to compete.

huh? you've lost me here... Team Russey? I don't think I have ever staked a claim to being on Kody Russeys personal bandwagon... be that as it may... The Line this week should look like this T.Brown C.Strange D.Andrews M.Onwenu C.Anderson... I am hoping we don't need any back-ups... at this point I'd tab Ferentz as the back up for the interior line positions... Not sure if McDermott is healthy, but if he is, I think he's your swing tackle... and if we lose more than 2 O-Linemen, it wont matter who is playing under center...

Pape is this you? Ferentz is not on the team and McDermott is out on season ending IR.

*scratches head* he's obviously the 2nd string qb... maybe not for this week... because of the roster obligations due Matt Corral

"scratches head" Zappe was just cut, right? Whatever makes him obviously the second string QB???

They signed a QB, and rumors of trading for a veteran. I didn't mean "tryout" in the sense of bringing a bunch in, but "tryout" in let's see Corral vs Zappe and whomever else might be available to compete.
they signed a developmental qb... hardly a vet presence
Pape is this you? Ferentz is not on the team and McDermott is out on season ending IR.
ferentz is on the practice squad, no? easy elevation ... and I had completely missed the McDermott news... went right by me... thanks for letting me know Fam :thumbsup:
"scratches head" Zappe was just cut, right? Whatever makes him obviously the second string QB???
waived, then added to the practice squad after he cleared waivers, no? he has more time in this system... to me that says number 2... least after week 1 when they can move corral off the 53...

Please defend how he has managed the QB position since 2017.

He didn't trade Jimmy when his value was the highest in March. He waited until midnight the day before the trade deadline and then hands him over on a silver platter to San Fran for #2.

Then after Brady delivers ring #6, he cheaps out and does not pay him $25 mil and he goes to Tampa and wins the SB in year one while we scrape Cam Newton off the scrap heap in late June because Bill had no transition plan at the QB position after deciding not to extend Brady.

Then we draft Mac and after a promising rookie year, he names his DC as OC causing Mac to regress to the point that he is calling his former college alma mater for help.

Then after Zappe shows promise as a back up, he cuts him only to sign him back to the PS and then signs Corral, a guy with no game experience.

As I said, a complete clown show at the QB position ...
Once AGAIN, you cherry pick facts to support your lame narrative, So let's add some context and perspective to what you KEEP getting wrong.

You complain about Jimmy's so called highest value at draft time, forgetting that essentially 5.5 quarters of NFL football over 3 full years ISN'T a ringing endorsement designed grab a first round pick from someone. In fact you'd be leading the charge against Bill if he'd done it. with our pick. Anything more than sheer conjecture about who those "multiple teams" offering #1's that April?

At the point where we DID trade him we held the 34th pick in the draft. Not a bad get for a guy with 5.5 quarters of experience. Remember that was when SF was its Most desperate for a starter. To bad SF went on a win streak that dropped that pick to 39.

The Pats DID NOT cheap at the end of Brady's reign. Rather they went all IN. All in to the point where they were completely cap strapped by 2020. They couldn't pay Brady the $25MM he deserved. They could pay just ONE million to Cam, That 2020 team was a VERY thin roster to begin with. Who else would have had to go if Brady had signed here. But those details don't matter to you.

Want to blame Bill for the 2021 offense. Feel free and pile on. It was a stop gap measure and didn't work. Buck stops with Bill. But also blame Zappe for for his 2023 summer. He's the one who's sucked all summer. Right now he's right were he should be as the team's #3 QB on the PS. Everyone has had to learn BOB's offense and to this point, he hasn't yet.

Like I said, a complete CLOWN SHOW of an analysis

ferentz is on the practice squad, no? easy elevation ... and I had completely missed the McDermott news... went right by me... thanks for letting me know Fam :thumbsup:

Ferentz is off and on daily it seems.

Once AGAIN, you cherry pick facts to support your lame narrative, So let's add some context and perspective to what you KEEP getting wrong.
Just facts
You complain about Jimmy's so called highest value at draft time, forgetting that essentially 5.5 quarters of NFL football over 3 full years ISN'T a ringing endorsement designed grab a first round pick from someone. In fact you'd be leading the charge against Bill if he'd done it. with our pick. Anything more than sheer conjecture about who those "multiple teams" offering #1's that April?
Question - does a player have more value prior to the draft or after?
At the point where we DID trade him we held the 34th pick in the draft. Not a bad get for a guy with 5.5 quarters of experience. Remember that was when SF was its Most desperate for a starter. To bad SF went on a win streak that dropped that pick to 39.

The Pats DID NOT cheap at the end of Brady's reign. Rather they went all IN. All in to the point where they were completely cap strapped by 2020. They couldn't pay Brady the $25MM he deserved. They could pay just ONE million to Cam, That 2020 team was a VERY thin roster to begin with. Who else would have had to go if Brady had signed here. But those details don't matter to you.
If they were so cap strapped in 2020 how did they manage to extend McCourty and franchise Thuney?
Want to blame Bill for the 2021 offense. Feel free and pile on. It was a stop gap measure and didn't work. Buck stops with Bill. But also blame Zappe for for his 2023 summer. He's the one who's sucked all summer. Right now he's right were he should be as the team's #3 QB on the PS. Everyone has had to learn BOB's offense and to this point, he hasn't yet.
We agree. 2022 is indefensible.
Like I said, a complete CLOWN SHOW of an analysis
LOL. :headscratch:

Last edited:
Just facts

Question - does a player have more value prior to the draft or after?
Jeeessss, why do you do this to yourself. The answer to that question always is it depends DEPENDS. It depends when the market is highest. In some cases the markets is highest prior to the draft. In the Pats case, if they had been offered a good #1 they probably would have traded him. But they WEREN'T.

Based on the ACTUAL Market JG was of more value to the Pats going into the season as their back up, than what the market bore right after the draft. Clearly the market was better at the trade deadline, when SF didn't have much at QB. What don't you get about that. You heard a RUMOR that the Pats MIGHT be offered a #1 for JG and have never let up on it, regardless of the lack of any substantive evidence that anyone actually DID!
If they were so cap strapped in 2020 how did they manage to extend McCourty and franchise Thuney?
Because they were DESPERATE for OLmen in 2020, or don't you remember and evidently it was worth the extra year of Thuney than trade him in 2002 and not get the comp. As good as he was are you saying someone was going to give the Pats a first AND pay him top dollar? In what home team fantasy where you dreaming up that one.
We agree. 2022 is indefensible.
NO! it was absolutely defendable if you knew BOB was coming in 2023, even understandable. You were never going to attract a quality OC and staff for a one year gig. Unless you knew in advance how it WOULD work out, not how MIGHT it work out. I DID make some sense. But what WASN'T defendable were the results. I doubt no one expected it to be THAT bad, though I'm sure in your brilliance you knew long before. :rolleyes:

It's not that Bill hasn't made bad decisions in the past. And feel free to point them out. He's made hundreds of them, out of the tens of thousands he's had to make every season. But please take the time to acknowledge how many good one that have benefited this franchise over the last 23 years. But I guess doing that would spoil you buzz

Jeeessss, why do you do this to yourself. The answer to that question always is it depends DEPENDS. It depends when the market is highest. In some cases the markets is highest prior to the draft. In the Pats case, if they had been offered a good #1 they probably would have traded him. But they WEREN'T.
And you know this, how?

Based on the ACTUAL Market JG was of more value to the Pats going into the season as their back up, than what the market bore right after the draft.
Again, how do you know? Did you have convos with Bill?
Clearly the market was better at the trade deadline, when SF didn't have much at QB.
You do know that Bill called San Fran, right? SF didn't call Bill.
What don't you get about that. You heard a RUMOR that the Pats MIGHT be offered a #1 for JG and have never let up on it, regardless of the lack of any substantive evidence that anyone actually DID!
You are accusing me of exactly what you are doing. I never said they were offered a #1. I just asked a simple question of Jimmy's worth prior to the draft as opposed to midnight of the trade deadline. I think you know the answer but I know you will keep yacking that I am saying that I am not to try to fit your presupposed narrative.
Because they were DESPERATE for OLmen in 2020, or don't you remember and evidently it was worth the extra year of Thuney than trade him in 2002 and not get the comp. As good as he was are you saying someone was going to give the Pats a first AND pay him top dollar? In what home team fantasy where you dreaming up that one.
How about keep the GOAT QB instead who just delivered the org its 6th ring. Just a thought. :whistle:
NO! it was absolutely defendable if you knew BOB was coming in 2023, even understandable.
Good heavens. So throw away an entire season, the most important in Mac's development while he waited for Bob? You really believe this?
You were never going to attract a quality OC and staff for a one year gig.
How about just go and spend on a quality OC for the long term instead of literally throwing away a season and a critical year of Mac's development.
It's not that Bill hasn't made bad decisions in the past. And feel free to point them out. He's made hundreds of them, out of the tens of thousands he's had to make every season. But please take the time to acknowledge how many good one that have benefited this franchise over the last 23 years. But I guess doing that would spoil you buzz
What? The whole point of my posts were how Bill has mishandled the QB position since 2017. Please try to keep up.

Based on the ACTUAL Market JG was of more value to the Pats going into the season as their back up, than what the market bore right after the draft. Clearly the market was better at the trade deadline, when SF didn't have much at QB. What don't you get about that. You heard a RUMOR that the Pats MIGHT be offered a #1 for JG and have never let up on it, regardless of the lack of any substantive evidence that anyone actually DID!

NO! it was absolutely defendable if you knew BOB was coming in 2023, even understandable. You were never going to attract a quality OC and staff for a one year gig. Unless you knew in advance how it WOULD work out, not how MIGHT it work out. I DID make some sense. But what WASN'T defendable were the results. I doubt no one expected it to be THAT bad, though I'm sure in your brilliance you knew long before. :rolleyes:

Ken, don't bother... haters do what they do best, spread hate.

Sort of OT but here's my power rankings for Pats backup QBs in the BB/Brady and post Brady eras

1. Drew
2. Jimmy
3. Cassel
4. Brisket
5. Hoyer
6. Zappe
7. Huard
8. Flutie
9. Mallett
10. Stidham

Hard to say where Keenum would be on this list. He'd be up there though. Maybe after Jimmy?

Flutie's gotta be no worse than #5.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back