PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Report: Patriots Acquire DeVante Parker from Dolphins

At WR? I think they're done until at least after the draft because of their lousy salary cap situation, but I would have the names of Jarvis Landry, Cole Beasley & Sammy Watkins at the top of the rolodex, and would also keep an eye on OBJ's rehab...

I saw that wandale robinson’s pro comp was Beasley according to one draftnik.

At WR? I think they're done until at least after the draft because of their lousy salary cap situation, but I would have the names of Jarvis Landry, Cole Beasley & Sammy Watkins at the top of the rolodex, and would also keep an eye on OBJ's rehab...
They could easily sign any of those guys by restructuring a few more contracts. Don't think they want to vs other possible free agents (Flowers etc)

They could easily sign any of those guys by restructuring a few more contracts. Don't think they want to vs other possible free agents (Flowers etc)
Yes, we have about $20M in possible restructuring left (including Parker), if we want to push another $20M of costs into the future. About $12M is needed for costs from camp onward for such things as: rookie salaries, Player 52, Player 53, Practice Squad, Players who end up on IR, replacement players for those who go on IR during camp and the season, incentives that count in the current year (e.g. game incentives).

That leaves about $8M available from restructures. More is available by cutting players or by extending them. For example, we are NOT playing Bailey over $4M, so with that savings at say $2M, we have $10M of 2022 cap money available for free agents before difficult to negotiate extensions.

That being said, there are several POTENTIAL extensions.

Yes, we have about $20M in possible restructuring left (including Parker), if we want to push another $20M of costs into the future. About $12M is needed for costs from camp onward for such things as: rookie salaries, Player 52, Player 53, Practice Squad, Players who end up on IR, replacement players for those who go on IR during camp and the season, incentives that count in the current year (e.g. game incentives).

That leaves about $8M available from restructures. More is available by cutting players or by extending them. For example, we are NOT playing Bailey over $4M, so with that savings at say $2M, we have $10M of 2022 cap money available for free agents before difficult to negotiate extensions.

That being said, there are several POTENTIAL extensions.
You do realize that you're only talking about simple salary to signing bonus restructures, right? They could easily free up MORE than that with extensions to Henry, Jonathan Jones or Isaiah Wynn, etc..

You do realize that you're only talking about simple salary to signing bonus restructures, right? They could easily free up MORE than that with extensions to Henry, Jonathan Jones or Isaiah Wynn, etc..
I did say that.

Let's explore where we disagree.

Do you think that more than $20M will come from restructures?

Do you think that we need to reserve less than $10M for various items (Miguel estimates $12M)?

There is approximately $10M available for free agents if all the significant restructures done, and presuming that no one objects (which no one should). This includes $2M from a new contract to our punter, whoever that might be.
======================
I have no reason to believe that any of the extensions are "easy". They all will include negotiations, and tradeoffs. Personally, I'm fine with extensions to any the players you mentioned plus others.
======================

Of course, we don't know how much money Belichick is willing to move into future years. You seem to think that this is even more than $20M.

I saw that wandale robinson’s pro comp was Beasley according to one draftnik.

I can see that... I'd like to grab somebody like Robinson and also somebody like Alec Pierce or Kevin Austin, for both a Mr Inside and Mr Outside attack...

I can see that... I'd like to grab somebody like Robinson and also somebody like Alec Pierce or Kevin Austin, for both a Mr Inside and Mr Outside attack...

That would work for me. I could see pierce developing into a downfield guy that can beat one on one coverage.

Ps: if we miss out on Robinson, there is always covey of Utah as a UDFA.

I did say that.

Let's explore where we disagree.

You threw it in as an afterthought.

Where we disagree is you thinking that's all they can do. As if you have a better handle on things than Miguel does.

You threw it in as an afterthought.

Where we disagree is you thinking that's all they can do. As if you have a better handle on things than Miguel does.
I have no criticism of your statements. And there is absolutely no requirement that you actually read my posts.

However, I have posted many, many times with regard to the various sources of revenue (many think that I do this much too often). I have also citied Miguel almost always.
===========
And no, you don't have to answer the questions that I address to you.

ISSUE ONE
However, I suggested that we have about $10M available from restructures and from cutting and replacing Bailey. That is after keeping the reserves that Miguel says are necessary for the year. So, my estimate (all the numbers for Miguel) is $10M available for free agent and trade acquisitions. DO YOU have better number?

ISSUE TWO
You stated that we can easily extend players making lots of money available. OK, I think that these negotiations are not that "easy". Have extensions been often a source of cap money in the past in the period from the draft to the start of the season? How much DO YOU think that Belichick will free up by this method, and how much of this extension money would even be used this year? I suspect that any extension savings will just be pushed to 2023, unless there is a player that team really, really thinks is needed for 2022.

I really don't know how we this trade done. It's not much compensation, just a pick swap of about 1 round when you factor in the year. It was in the division, and it's hard to believe Miami couldn't have gotten at least this deal outside the division. Parker could come back to haunt them, plus it strengthens the Pats in a way they wouldn't have been able to do otherwise..

Part of it is this...
The injuries:

And part of it is him not fitting their scheme/Tua.

There's always a catch to look out for when a team trades a player within the division. Look at the Patriots trading Drew Bledsoe to the Bills...

Yes I believe that as of today we are average/below-average on both offense and defense.

I also believe that some points matter more than others.

That 7-game winning streak, and thereby the statistics accumulated during it, was a Mirage. Period.
Looked pretty real to me.

It's quite obvious DeVante is intelligent when he considered the alternative WR numbers. I think one of the worse is #17.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back