PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Report: Patriots Acquire DeVante Parker from Dolphins

Yea Parker is a true #1,
Huh?
Based on exactly what?
One excellent year multiple injuries ago?

he's not an elite hall of famer or anything but hes a legitimate #1 that has been productive for a long time..
Setting aside 2019.......
Parker's best stats in his other six seasons were: 793 yds & 4 TDs

He averaged 44 catches, 590 yds & 2.5 TDs in those other six seasons
He averaged 3.9 receptions & 52 yds/game in the 67 games he suited up in those other six seasons

This level of production translates to a #3 WR for many teams

His YAC the past 2 years is 2.7 yds, comparable to Meyers who was #120 on the 2021 YAC list
His career catch % is 58%

The numbers indicate he's a possession receiver and a red zone after thought
-------------------------------------------------
Given his chronic hamstring issues and other maladies that constantly impacted his availability throughout his Dolphins career, I applaud Miami for cutting bait and securing some compensation for an injury prone player whose game day reliability was a constant issue.
---------------------------------------------------
NE paid a modest cost to secure Parker and now his game day availability is NE's issue.
Anyone who labels this transaction a "low risk/high reward" roster move ignores the modest numbers Parker has put up in all but one year.

My biggest fear is Parker reinjures his perpetually balky hamstring in preseason and has to play catch-up the rest of the season.

Huh?
Based on exactly what?

He averaged 3.9 receptions & 52 yds/game in the 67 games he suited up in those other six seasons

His YAC the past 2 years is 2.7 yds, comparable to Meyers who was #120 on the 2021 YAC list

Given his chronic hamstring issues and other maladies that constantly impacted his availability throughout his Dolphins career, I applaud Miami for cutting bait and securing some compensation for an injury prone player whose game day reliability was a constant issue.
NE paid a modest cost to secure Parker and now his game day availability is NE's issue.
Anyone who labels this transaction a "low risk/high reward" roster move ignores the modest numbers Parker has put up in all but one year.

My biggest fear is Parker reinjures his perpetually balky hamstring in preseason and has to play catch-up the rest of the season.

Restructure Parkers' contract adding 1 or 2 more years and more $$$ as incentives (# games played, reaching 700yds, etc..)

Huh?
Based on exactly what?

Why would you want to discount his best season?

Huh?
Based on exactly what?

I suspect that a high priority item will be connecting Parker with their team of orthopods, trainers, strength and conditioning duo, physical therapists and dietitians, in order to try to break the cycles of hamstring injuries.

I found Bourne’s comments about Belichick mandating adequate hydration, even just to be eligible practice, to be very interesting. First, it became clear that Tommy stole that from BB. ;) Second, I wonder it that is primarily intended to reduce soft tissue injuries, in addition to muscle cramps. Relative to other teams, it seems as though the patriots have had very few hamstring and calf injuries among their skill position players, especially vets who have been part of their training, nutrition and stretching programs for a year or more.

Separation stat is a joke. Advanced stats are just one indicator of many, and needs to be corroborated with your eyes.
I agree with your overall premise, but fyi, Edelman got decent separation. I've previously argued that Patriots SB winning years didn't have a true WR#1. Edelman after 4 years (going into his FA year) was considered by this board to be a consensus WR #4 and maybe #3. I think there was someone who thought he had potential to be an elite WR#2 and the person was mocked ruthlessly.

Eligible years for Edelman (NextGenStats)
2.8 2019
3.3 2018
2.7 2016

The fact that there were 2 years of 1.7yds of separation for Parker is glaring to me. It may also show a lot of trust for the QB. We'll see how it all plays out. In Troy I trust.
Separation stat is a joke. The fact that JE is borderline tells you what a joke it is. Any advanced stat is just one minor indicator out of many, and needs to be corroborated with your eyes, which is the main indicator. The eye test tells you what Parker brings to the table. He's a Brandon Marshall type receiver who wins on the edges. His health and availability are valid concerns, but not his talent.

It's why I hope they go after one of the bama receivers. With insight from Saban and Mac I bet they draft one.

If Williams is gone I would be fine with moving back a few spots and taking either Dotson or Metchie.

Trying to deprogram zealots. WRs are the only way to win is dogma now - and no matter what is done it's never enough. Upgrade and the upgrade was insufficient. Get a #1, and it's not the "right" #1. Or they need another #1 or need to get rid of the now #2 to draft another #1.

After a pretty "slow" offseason thus far (compared to last year especially) this is a low risk/high reward type move. Can it fail? Sure, but so can drafting any of the shiny object WRs waiting in the green room. Len Bias was a sure thing too...until he wasnt.

Until the Patriots start having losing records two or three seasons in a row, I'm still willing to give the benefit of the doubt in the team building process in most cases. (Okay, I got nothing for N'Keal - totally a swing and a miss...but that's three years of data now to form an opinion with)
Good post. Receivers are chess pieces, and it's all about the matchups that week. You don't have to have premier talent at each WR position, but you do need receivers with different skill sets so you can exploit a particular matchup. Parker vs Gilmore in 2019, and Edelman vs the Chiefs in 2018, are examples of that. Parker brings us a chess piece we haven't had in a long time.

Why would you want to discount his best season?

I can see both sides of the argument but I would say that the glass half full argument is this:

Very few WRs can put up these numbers, especially on a team with an anemic running game (Fitzmagic lead the team that year with 4 rushing TDs for f*cks sake) and a low tier starter for a QB.

721,20216.7 ypc9 TD

Those are WR1 numbers. Parker must now prove that he can come close to duplicating that year. I choose to believe that he can, until he proves me wrong.

I can see both sides of the argument but I would say that the glass half full argument is this:

Very few WRs can put up these numbers, especially on a team with an anemic running game (Fitzmagic lead the team that year with 4 rushing TDs for f*cks sake) and a low tier starter for a QB.

721,20216.7 ypc9 TD

Those are WR1 numbers. Parker must now prove that he can come close to duplicating that year. I choose to believe that he can, until he proves me wrong.
In that season Parker’s catch rate was 56% on an average depth of throw of 14.2 yards and an average yards before catch of 13. Those are excellent numbers. With Fitzpatrick.
The last 2 years bud catch rate has been 61 and 55 on average depth of throw of 9.7 and 11.3 and ybc of 9.8 and 10.3.
There is no doubt his reduced production from 19 to 20 and 21 was because of the QB.

721,20216.7 ypc9 TD

Those are great numbers. I’m ok with 800 yards however…with Bourne, Meyers and Nelson getting there’s. If he and Mac are successful with stretching the field vertically and horizontally then those 800 yards will be huge IMO.

Year two Mac is going to be very interesting because even he is going to be evaluated. Mac needs to show he can consistently place the deep ball where his Receivers can make a play on the ball. Being a Rookie Mac was handcuffed some last year and he didn't have great players around him to begin with: Parker is a good start.

This move - as most moves - does not preclude anything.
They will add 3-4 more WRs. Could be OBJ (after Draft), 1st rounder or just SFA, UDFA.. Depending on opportunity and evaluation.
Team can not be over the cap so another cap move will be made before this trade is processed.
There are 0 guarantees on DvP contract atm so it is probable the contract will be redone, possibly before trade processed.
Cutting Harry creates 2M cap (not counting 51 rule in both cases).

Every player without guaranteed money on the contract wants the trade. Was same with Mason.
I mentioned this as well and was called a liar by @Kenneth Sims because I refused to go back 4 weeks and find the mention of this..

One thin to remember about Parker and his hamstring injuries. The Pats have that hill that they require ALL players to run their sprints on. This helps to elongate the muscles in the legs and reduce the occurrence / re-occurrence of Hamstring injuries.. They can still happen, but they are usually less severe and less often.

I bet you anything that Kendrick Bourne has sent him a pallet of bottled water. LOL, in all seriousness Like Bourne said proper hydration can make your body feel better and help with stamina. It will also make muscles more pliable, so that should help with flexibility and potentially ease strain on his hampered hamstring.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
Back