PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report or Speculation - Chandler Jones Out Until the Postseason?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reiss said in today's chat something about later December to be realistic.

I assume we will hold him out of the extended GB/SD trip in any case and might get him back for a few snaps in the last one or two games of the regular season..

Once the team gets back from SD, longest trip is to New York until the Super Bowl if we get the top seed. Can keep that hip from long plane trips. Get him a limo for Jet game

Once the team gets back from SD, longest trip is to New York until the Super Bowl if we get the top seed. Can keep that hip from long plane trips. Get him a limo for Jet game

****, send him in the Gronk party bus to Arizona for all I care.. there is enough time to keep him from high altitudes..

the defense has been just as good, *puts on flame suit* if not BETTER since Jones got hurt, teams were running right at Jones, and having A LOT of success, hopefully hes taking his injury time off to watch a lot of tape and work on his fundamentals.

That was pure scheme - the Pats were trying things out.

Jones is the best player on the DL. The Pats improve immediately when he gets back.

the defense has been just as good, *puts on flame suit* if not BETTER since Jones got hurt, teams were running right at Jones, and having A LOT of success, hopefully hes taking his injury time off to watch a lot of tape and work on his fundamentals.
This is just a load of crap, chas. If there is one thing that Jones did exceptionally well is set the edge. He's even better at it than rushing the passer. I doubt very much the film will corroborate your casual knee jerk observation.

Clearly the run D has been much better the last 3 games, but that's more a function of improved play by the ILB's and more beef on the DL. Akeem Ayers, is as good a mid-season pick up as we could possibly hope for, isn't close to the run defender that Chandler Jones was.

As to the OP, its just the same thing that she posted when the injury first happened. Nothing has changed since that happened. He could be be back in December. He could be back in January. Or he might not be back at all. The only thing for certain is SMY, or Reiss or Felger will know just as much about this as we do. In other words....NOTHING. Hoperfully sometime in the next 2 months we will get a report that Jones was limited in Practice. Then a week or two later, he will be activated.

The thing is, I don't want him back unless its at 100% healthy.

Last edited:
I came across this tidbit from Richard Hill on Pats' Pulpit today:

http://www.patspulpit.com/2014/11/2...rette-blount-signs-two-year-contract-chandler

The only thing I've been able to find is this from SMY on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/shalisemyoung/status/535214580721790976

:( Maybe the smart thing to do, and not a surprise. But still, :( if true.

She's devolved from league source, to "sources" since her last guess of one month is about to expire. Way to keep in the news. There's still a 4-6 weeks prediction out there.

I agree with Kontra, we could use him to presure Rodgers when we play GB. Right now, Ayers has added a fresh element to the pass rush, which should be adequate for the rest of the season. Green Bay is not a must win any more, with denver losing against the rams.

For a second I thought the thread title said he is out until PRE season. Scared me a little bit.

When did we steal him from the Giants? :p
????????? where in my post did I say we got him from the Giants????? I think you got your references mixed up. t

EDIT: OH I get it now. Akkeem not Robert. My mistake and I'll fix it. ;)

I think towards the end of his field time, we were seeing a man play through an injury with insane tenacity. I agree that he didn't play well just before leaving, and I do remember the game announcers also noting it, but he also wasn't playing like he had in the past. I really think his hip had been a problem for a while and his drop in play had nothing to do with fundamentals. If we get a healthy Jones for the playoffs, I expect to see a marked improvement in this D.

The fact that he isn't on IR indicates that there is some level of optimism around Chandler.
Agreed. BB is a lot of things, but indecisive is not among them.

My original thinking was the ideal scenario was one where they could "ease" him back into the rotation, a la Gronk, over the final month of the season to have him fully into "game" shape for the start of the playoffs. Seemed more likely at the time of the initial reports, but I've still hope that maybe he'll be ready to absorb a few snaps when the team returns home for Miami...

I think you anticipated getting flamed for good reason. Jones is a physical freak and is the closest thing we have to a Gronk on D. Just because he is a great pass rusher doesn't mean he's weak against the run. Like another poster noted, he's great at holding the edge (not sure what stuck in your head as having a lot of success running right at him), and had been adding a lot of scheme diversity by standing up and playing OLB at times.

Saying the run D is better without him would be like saying the offensive run game would be better if we substituted an extra OL for Gronk.

I love that we confused Manning without him, but I would feel much better with Jones out there while Peyton tries his presnap reads.

Also, there's a difference between fresh and cold. I'd like to see Chandler get at least 1 regular season game in.

I think you anticipated getting flamed for good reason. Jones is a physical freak and is the closest thing we have to a Gronk on D. Just because he is a great pass rusher doesn't mean he's weak against the run. Like another poster noted, he's great at holding the edge (not sure what stuck in your head as having a lot of success running right at him), and had been adding a lot of scheme diversity by standing up and playing OLB at times.

Saying the run D is better without him would be like saying the offensive run game would be better if we substituted an extra OL for Gronk.

I love that we confused Manning without him, but I would feel much better with Jones out there while Peyton tries his presnap reads.

He was getting moved rather easily against the run in Miami but that's mostly due to the way he was being used. He improved a lot after that until he went out.

That was a coaching and DL issue. There is no reason why Jones couldn't do Ayers' run responsibilities equally well. The problem before is that Chandler was being asked to do a whole lot more.

I'm pretty sure i specifically read someone who had watched the all 22 film say "If I'm game planning for the patriots, I run right at chandler jones" It'll probably take me a bit to find it though.

I'm pretty sure i specifically read someone who had watched the all 22 film say "If I'm game planning for the patriots, I run right at chandler jones" It'll probably take me a bit to find it though.

Yep, I remember this. It was during the game and probably Collinsworth. Still, I think the guy was playing hurt, like I said above.

And I would agree if I were watching film without the understanding that his role was likely to change. But Jones is a terrific run defender as a 4-3 DE, much better than Ayers.

The longer he is on the inactive list, the more hope of seeing him at some point. A problem arises if they have a few injuries (short-term hopefully) and the circumstances force them to place him on IR instead of releasing someone else.
It will be interesting too see what they do with Siliga. Not sure who would go (Branch maybe). They will likely wait until they have to make a decision. With Walker being released, they must feel like DT is well stocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back