PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report or Speculation - Chandler Jones Out Until the Postseason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayoclinic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I came across this tidbit from Richard Hill on Pats' Pulpit today:

Defensive end Chandler Jones is likely out through the rest of the season, per the Boston Globe's Shalise Manza-Young. Jones has been battling a hip injury and the rest is a smart move- and perhaps it will add a new element and a fresh pair of legs when the games become must-win.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2014/11/2...rette-blount-signs-two-year-contract-chandler

The only thing I've been able to find is this from SMY on Twitter:

Those who have been asking about Chandler Jones: source said today patriots are hoping he'll be back for postseason

https://twitter.com/shalisemyoung/status/535214580721790976

:( Maybe the smart thing to do, and not a surprise. But still, :( if true.

I heard that the earliest he would be back is December (several weeks ago), but it could be the playoffs before he comes back.

I think it could be both. I doubt the team knows exactly when he'll be ready.

This is all consistent with the reporting since the injury happened. From what I can glean from the various sources, I'd put the odds like this:

25% chance he comes back late season/postseason and is healthy enough to make an impact
50% chance he comes back late season/postseason but won't make an impact because of the injury
25% chance he is unable to return to the field until 2015

We'll miss him against Green Bay the most, but I'm fine with him getting some rest as long as it means he's ready for the stretch run in January. He and Nink were quite obviously gassed last year by the end of the season, given the high amount of snaps. Some fresh legs will do him some good. The Patriots have been generating a good enough amount of pressure using stunts and twists and by sending Ayers as well. The rest of the schedule is tough, but the team can make it through it without him. I just pray he's available for the postseason.

My main hope is that he doesn't end up with a chronic problem.

Hopefully the Patriots remain in the luxurious position of being able to preserve him for the playoffs without serious in-season ramifications. So far so good.

In my opinion, if Brady, Gronkowski, Revis, Wilfork, and McCourty are all healthy, I'm counting my blessings. It would also be devastating to lose someone on the offensive line. Brandon LaFell is also nearing the "devastating loss" category.

Hope Jones can come back, but I think this team will get pressure on the QB if they can take away the running game and leave the opposing QB to deal with their secondary.

That tweet from SMY is all I have seen and appears to be what PP is talking about. As usual, not much to go on with Pats injuries. The fact that he still holds a roster slot while they release contributing players (Walker) indicates that there is still a reasonable hope of his return. That could change at any time of course.

I think it could be both. I doubt the team knows exactly when he'll be ready.

That seems very likely. Sometimes varying reports mean secretive sources or incompetent reporters; sometimes they just mean that nobody really knows for sure.

That seems very likely. Sometimes varying reports mean secretive sources or incompetent reporters; sometimes they just mean that nobody really knows for sure.

I think that's probably the case, and hip injuries can be quite nagging. As I said in the OP, not really surprising, but a bit of a downer.

the defense has been just as good, *puts on flame suit* if not BETTER since Jones got hurt, teams were running right at Jones, and having A LOT of success, hopefully hes taking his injury time off to watch a lot of tape and work on his fundamentals.

The fact that he isn't on IR indicates that there is some level of optimism around Chandler. Returning after a long-term injury, non-IR situation also has a good track record. The only example I can think of when someone was inactive for most of the season due to injury but never returned is Law in 2004.

the defense has been just as good, *puts on flame suit* if not BETTER since Jones got hurt, teams were running right at Jones, and having A LOT of success, hopefully hes taking his injury time off to watch a lot of tape and work on his fundamentals.

That was a coaching and DL issue. There is no reason why Jones couldn't do Ayers' run responsibilities equally well. The problem before is that Chandler was being asked to do a whole lot more.

The fact that he isn't on IR indicates that there is some level of optimism around Chandler. Returning after a long-term injury, non-IR situation also has a good track record. The only example I can think of when someone was inactive for most of the season due to injury but never returned is Law in 2004.

Could be both a function of optimism and importance of the player, as in Law's case. With Jones, even if there's a small chance he's coming back, he's worth a spot on the 53 as long as we can handle it.

Reiss said in today's chat something about later December to be realistic.

I assume we will hold him out of the extended GB/SD trip in any case and might get him back for a few snaps in the last one or two games of the regular season..

Could be both a function of optimism and importance of the player, as in Law's case. With Jones, even if there's a small chance he's coming back, he's worth a spot on the 53 as long as we can handle it.

I'm sure it is, but precedent is still positive.

e.g., Vollmer a couple of years ago.

In my opinion, if Brady, Gronkowski, Revis, Wilfork, and McCourty are all healthy, I'm counting my blessings. It would also be devastating to lose someone on the offensive line. Brandon LaFell is also nearing the "devastating loss" category.

Edelman more so. He's clutch, and his punt returns are valuable too.

Hope Jones can come back, but I think this team will get pressure on the QB if they can take away the running game and leave the opposing QB to deal with their secondary.
Maybe, maybe not. Ayers wasnt getting much pressure against the Colts.

e.g., Vollmer a couple of years ago.

Good call, yet another guy who eventually saw the field, even if was just as a rotational player in the SB. Same for Seymour in 2004.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back