PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Red Sox 2024

This team is fun to watch
Heidi Gardner Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I don't love it but I don't hate it. I don't really get why Sweet Caroline elicits such strong emotions either way from the fanbase.
Gotta ask.....
Its been years since I've been to a home Sox game so I'm wondering if Fenway has adopted the sensory overload tactics that many stadiums incorporate during every non-action second? Are they pumping in heavy metal and hip hop between every pitch and between innings?
If so, I'll take Sweet Caroline every time.

Gotta ask.....
Its been years since I've been to a home Sox game so I'm wondering if Fenway has adopted the sensory overload tactics that many stadiums incorporate during every non-action second? Are they pumping in heavy metal and hip hop between every pitch and between innings?
If so, I'll take Sweet Caroline every time.
Haven't been to a game since just before covid but it is the usual crap between innings and at bats. Random trivia, fan cams, 20 second snippets of songs, and some randomly picked fans to participate in some sort of contest for a prize. When it is a competitive game or the Sox are up big Sweet Caroline is fun to me but I get where it could get tedious when the team sucks and can't score a run.

I don't love it but I don't hate it. I don't really get why Sweet Caroline elicits such strong emotions either way from the fanbase.

To longtime Sox fans Sweet Caroline is symbolic of the 'Fenway is an experience' asshats that enable $ox ownership to say they're going to go "full throttle" then sit on their wallets when a pitcher like Jordan Montgomery signs with Arizona for affordable money.

 Longtime Sox fans? LMFAO.
 I am a longtime Sox fan. I was at Ted Williams last game as a little kid.
I was at Game 7 of the 1967 World Series vs. Cardinals and Bob Gibson.
That was the Impossible Dream year and that was an experience.
 Winning is an experience. The ballpark is an experience.
A 2nd rate mediocre song by a 2nd rate mediocre singer is not an experience. At least not one I wanna ever be involved in.
I've been to a billion Sox games from 1960- 1991, when I moved down South.
That was before the Monstah seats even existed and I always had a great time.

I was at Game 7 of the 1967 World Series vs. Cardinals and Bob Gibson.
That was the Impossible Dream year and that was an experience.
 Winning is an experience. The ballpark is an experience.
A 2nd rate mediocre song by a 2nd rate mediocre singer is not an experience. At least not one I wanna ever be involved in.
I've been to a billion Sox games from 1960- 1991, when I moved down South.
That was before the Monstah seats even existed and I always had a great time.
Yeah, my resume is not as extensive, but I go back to attending a game with my folks, 1972 and Rico Petrocelli hitting a walkoff grand slam in extra innings. I was probably 6 or 7.

I think, for me anyway, the pinkhat invasion that loves Sweet Caroline while 10 games out and down by 6 is a huge part of the problem. Ownership sits back counting money like :
Donald Duck Money GIF

So why should they field a winning team? Fans are happy they are in last, profit margins are high. The only thing I can do it hit them where it hurts, don't give them the NESN subscription, ticket sale, or merch purchase. It's the only control I can exercise.

Yes, LONGTIME Sox fan. My first opening day game featured an outfield of Williams/Piersall/Jenkins. (yeah, that's how damn old I am)
My grandfather got me out of school so I could see Williams last game, my Dad was a Braves fan so he sure as hell wasn't gonna take me.
I'd say that qualifies me as a longtime fan.

PS: Sweet Caroline is a mediocre tune but Neil Diamond wasn't exactly a 2nd rate mediocre singer. 'I am', 'Brooklyn Roads' "Cracklin' Rosie' and 'Brother Love's Travelling Salvation Show' weren't half bad in their day.

Last edited:
Yes, LONGTIME Sox fan. My first opening day game featured an outfield of Williams/Piersall/Jenkins. (yeah, that's how damn old I am)
My grandfather got me out of school so I could see Williams last game, my Dad was a Braves fan so he sure as hell wasn't gonna take me.

PS: Sweet Caroline is a mediocre tune but Neil Diamond wasn't exactly a 2nd rate mediocre singer. 'I am', 'Brooklyn Roads' "Cracklin' Rosie' and 'Brother Love's Travelling Salvation Show' weren't half bad in their day.
I was referring to your quote " to longtime Sox fans Sweet Caroline
is symbolic of the Fenway experience..."
Sweet Caroline is new, not longtime.
It started after 1991 when I left, that makes it new.
And most of my huge family, still living in and around Boston, also can't stand it and that includes most of the younger generations. With a few exceptions. But every family has a black sheep or two.
You got me beat on longevity, Jimmy Piersall was before my time.

And most of my huge family, still living in and around Boston, also can't stand it and that includes most of the younger generations. With a few exceptions. But every family has a black sheep or two.
33 years. There's a whole bunch of people think that's a long time. ;)

I exaggerated a bit on Neil Diamond. I wasn't a huge fan but he had a couple decent songs. I've never been a fan of pop, always liked music with more grit and substance. Soul music, blues jazz.
Rock music that had quality musicians: Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin( though Stairway to Heaven was garbage- their bluesier,grittier stuff was their best- Whole Lotta Love,etc.)
Allman Brothers,early Santana before he got too commercial. Mahavishnu Orchestra,John Coltrane.

Look again, I said it was "symbolic of the Fenway as an experience asshats..."
;)

Rock music that had quality musicians: Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin( though Stairway to Heaven was garbage- their bluesier,grittier stuff was their best- Whole Lotta Love,etc.)
Allman Brothers,early Santana before he got too commercial. Mahavishnu Orchestra,John Coltrane.

50 something years later 'Live At The Fillmore East' is still in my personal top 20 albums. It, 'Who's Next', 'Abraxas' and 'Are You Experienced' are all on my garage playlist in their entirety. Strangely enough my sons and grandsons all have a lot of tunes from them on their playlists as well. When it comes to generational appeal those albums seriously stood the test of time.

Last edited:
50 something years later 'Live At The Fillmore East' is still in my personal top 20 albums. It, 'Who's Next, 'Abraxas' and 'Are You Experienced' are all on my garage playlist in their entirety. Strangely enough my sons and grandsons all have a lot of tunes from them on their playlists as well. When it comes to generational appeal those albums seriously stood the test of time.
Live at the Fillmore East is one of the alltime greatest albums by anybody any genre. Most of my top albums are jazz, like Tranes' A Love Supreme. But there's a few non jazz albums sprinkled in there among my favs, Live at F.E. is one.
The musicianship and songwriting by the original Allman Brothers was truly superb. Duane one of the greatest guitarists ever. But all those cats could play.

I exaggerated a bit on Neil Diamond. I wasn't a huge fan but he had a couple decent songs. I've never been a fan of pop, always liked music with more grit and substance. Soul music, blues jazz.
If we're going to whip it out and compare how long we have been fans, my first game/games was a doubleheader in August 67 ( pre Tony C beaning) when Mike Ryan hit one of his two home runs that year over the monstah.
I was there on a warm July day when Neil Armstrong walked(edit- landed on the moon- walked the next day ) on the moon in 1969.
I was there for game 6 in 75 ( I have the ticket as proof).
I also got to see Henry Aaron as a Brewer in game 2 of the season in 1975.,
In high school we would buy $2 bleacher tickets ( went to $3 when they signed Bill 'soup' Campbell) and one of us would distract the tickettaker while the others snuck into the regular part of the stadium
I was there in the bleachers on a cold April night in 1982 in a nearly empty stadium when Danny Ford played RF for the Orioles and we harassed him for posing nude for Playgirl so badly that he started to run in after the second out of the inning. He didn't turn around but walked back rather than face us...
I was there in 1983 when they had an on the field reunion of the 1967 team for Tony C night and Gentleman Jim Lonborg arrived in a tux because had a formal dinner at Tufts Dental the same night.

In the early 80s when I was in grad school at Tufts downtown and living in Brighton, many a night involved a detour to Fenway to watch a game.
Moved away 40 years ago but have been back a few times, and got to walk on the field in 2014 and tour the clubhouse and see three of the championship trophies...
Got to try on Francona's 2014 championship ring ( pre cell phone camera days unfortunately) but that's a story for another day...
I see the Sox every time they're in Philly..bit it's not Fenway.

Last edited:
Is this the "Old Farts 2024" forum? :p

The Red Sox are 7-3, third best in the AL. Who would have thought? They have a bunch of talent coming up this year and next. Should be fun in a few years time. O'Neill trade looks like a steal.

Is this the "Old Farts 2024" forum? :p

The Red Sox are 7-3, third best in the AL. Who would have thought? They have a bunch of talent coming up this year and next. Should be fun in a few years time. O'Neill trade looks like a steal.
IIRC, the last time they started the season w a West Coast swing, they went 3-8 and never recovered. They just knocked off 1/8 of all their road games. I've always thought that if a team can win 2/3 of their home games and play .500 on the road ( 54 and 41 for 95 wins), they are nearly guaranteed of making the playoffs, more so now with expanded playoffs.

They are off to a good start. I usually evaluate (I'm not an expert) at the end of Apr, then again at the All Star break. then each month after that. Pitching has been outstanding and they all seem to feed off one another at the plate. Certainly a pleasant surprise so far with expectations being so low to start the year.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back