Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Choose One

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to remember that the Patriots have a corporate mission statement that says “compete for a championship every year.” So I don’t see any tearing down or tanking.
I'm sure that is the mission statement of more franchises than the Patriots - how's it going for them?

Even from Curran's article it's unclear what the key differences are between "rebuild," "reboot" and "reload." Can you help with that? "Nuke it" is clear enough. I'm guessing that "reboot" means keeping the status quo from this past season but what's the difference between "reload" and "rebuild"?
advanced-options.png

No matter what happens we need a better draft than the recent ones.

No matter what happens we need a better draft than the recent ones.
I’d say this is the first draft since 2010 that they absolutely need to nail. Luckily, they won’t have Gronk’s indecision hanging over their heads this year so that’s one road block that they dealt with in 2019 that won’t be there in 2020.

I’d say this is the first draft since 2010 that they absolutely need to nail. Luckily, they won’t have Gronk’s indecision hanging over their heads this year so that’s one road block that they dealt with in 2019 that won’t be there in 2020.
Yeah we really can’t afford to have 2nd and 3rd round picks as healthy scratches all year. We need guys that can come in and contribute or at least find roles right away. The subpar drafting is what got us into this spot where we are tight against the cap with a very old roster.

Any chance Gilmore gets traded for an elite wide receiver (and maybe something else too)? I'd hate to see him go, and I think he's the best defender in the NFL, but defense is so unreliable to win games, especially against good teams. The Patriots don't have many trade assets. A team would likely be getting the reigning DPOY still in his prime; the Patriots still have some very talented cornerbacks. This would obviously need to be an absolute stud in return, someone like D. Hopkins; it would need to with a team that has another emerging star receiver who is currently the #2.

This has been mentioned before we have some holes to fill if CB Stephon Gilmore gives us a haul another First Rounder and more I wouldn't be against it.

Trade ....
giphy.gif

....and tank for Trevor if Stidham isn't the next one.
The slate of teams we face next year could turn out to be brutal and I don't see this aging team being in SB contention. I don't want to be a 9-7 or 8-8 team next year. I can take the abuse for a year. I've been a fan since '81. I've seen it ALL.

Trade ....
giphy.gif

....and tank for Trevor if Stidham isn't the next one.
The slate of teams we face next year could turn out to be brutal and I don't see this aging team being in SB contention. I don't want to be a 9-7 or 8-8 team next year. I can take the abuse for a year. I've been a fan since '81. I've seen it ALL.

Some teams can get lucky and bounce back quickly after a couple of years with good drafts and good cap money investments. It starts with the QB first and foremost. I’m a big Lawrence fan. Wish we could get him.

This has been mentioned before we have some holes to fill if CB Stephon Gilmore gives us a haul another First Rounder and more I wouldn't be against it.

That would make JC Jackson immediately our number 1 corner. Corners are hard to find. Good ones. Who would be our second corner on the outside?

They should have drafted a TE at the very least last draft and possibly before that. The writing was on the wall with Gronk for a while and there’s no excuse for them not finding a TE to replace him.

That would make JC Jackson immediately our number 1 corner. Corners are hard to find. Good ones. Who would be our second corner on the outside?

The move wouldn't be popular but it would save us a Ton of $$$$ in the process too. We have a now Second year CB who never played plus we can always draft another one BB loves Drafting them. The move would give us a Ton or Flexibility roster wise whether we move on with Brady or not.

This “Super Bowl” caliber defense was throttled by run heavy teams who tossed Pats DL aside like rag dolls

This oldest roster in the NFL was bit ch-slapped by the Two Ryan’s whose teams had a combined record of 14-18

And this rebuild/retool with be achieved via mid round comp picks ?

Delusional
The throttling was 14 points until a pick six. The defense did enough to win that game

Clear as mud -- I'm a Mac user. But seriously, what are the differences? Or is the poll meant jokingly?
IMO:
Reload = Get the receivers, offensive weapons Brady needs.
Reboot = Get healthy ... resign key players ... replace weak players.
Rebuild = No Brady, keep key players, rebuild D-line, O-Line and other weaknesses.
Nuke = Kraft blows it up. (Should I use blow?)

IMO:
Reload = Get the receivers, offensive weapons Brady needs.
Reboot = Get healthy ... resign key players ... replace weak players.
Rebuild = No Brady, keep key players, rebuild D-line, O-Line and other weaknesses.
Nuke = Kraft blows it up. (Should I use blow?)
I vote rebuild. The Patriots need to get more powerful in both lines (and at RB) and faster all around.

They should have drafted a TE at the very least last draft and possibly before that. The writing was on the wall with Gronk for a while and there’s no excuse for them not finding a TE to replace him.
A TE would not have solved all of our problems. OL and WR was just as big an issue, though injuries killed our OL (losing Andrews was HUGE). A TE to replace Gronk? Good luck finding one. Drafting a TE high in the draft has been expected for the past 3 years so you're beating a dead horse.

A TE would not have solved all of our problems. OL and WR was just as big an issue, though injuries killed our OL (losing Andrews was HUGE). A TE to replace Gronk? Good luck finding one. Drafting a TE high in the draft has been expected for the past 3 years so you're beating a dead horse.
They really couldn’t have done any worse at tight end than they did last year. Lacosse is barely a number 2 TE and Izzo is a fringe NFL player. Watson was largely invisible aside from some penalties he caused. I would be happy if they completely revamped that position.

after so many head scratching decisions this season stretching back to the draft I have to think they need to start over.

Anything post that starts with let Brady walk should be a ban able offense

They really couldn’t have done any worse at tight end than they did last year. Lacosse is barely a number 2 TE and Izzo is a fringe NFL player. Watson was largely invisible aside from some penalties he caused. I would be happy if they completely revamped that position.

Put all your chips in. Draft will not help Brady situation. He won't throw to rookies so let's stop the Draft non-sense. Please don't think even if we Draft a guy, TB will throw to him. The last rookie WR Brady threw to Mitchell was in tears trying to get on the same page as TB. He ignored an open Harry a couple plays the last two games. Meyers? Tom just stopped throwing to him. Edelman led the league in dropped passes. Throwing to the rookies, what's the worse that can happen?

I am moving Burkhead to more WR snaps

Sign both Hooper and Henry as dual TE no matter what. Look at the Ravens. Yes Jackson is slippery, but their two TE (actually three) of Andrews, Hurst and Boyle have 125 catches and 14 TDs in combination. Without them, the Ravens WR core is as mediocre as the Pats.

Next on the agenda is Rishard Higgins who is buried in Cleveland by Jarvis and OBJ. He went from 39 catches and 4 TDs in 2018 almost 15 yards per catch, and through injury 6 games, and OBJ to 4 catches. Cheap to offset two TE big dollar signings.

Alternative? Robby Anderson has killed us. That skinny little dude gets open. 15 yards per catch and averages over 50 receptions a year with the NYJ.

On Defense? Resign Collins, Butler and Shelton. Get a Safety who can cover like Justin Simmons with 93 Tackles and 4 INTs this year. Chung and DMac are long in the tooth. Could a stout DE not named Hightower, like a young Leonard Williams fit?

OL? Please move on from Cannon. Resign Thunney and Karras. How about Bulaga to take Cannon's place? Can Karras play RT?

Trade chips? Hightower, Harmon perhaps Cannon and finally...............trade Sony Michel. Shocking? No. He fades some games. He is not a bell cow as thought. You might get a high third for him. His knees are still an issue. You drafted Harris for a reason. He was a stud at Alabama.

So Rebuild:
Hooper TE
Henry TE
Higgins WR (CHEAP)
Simmons S
Bulaga RT (MAYBE CHEAP)
Williams DE

DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes