SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

SOURCE:Boston Sports Journal

SOURCE:NESN

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Frustrating Finish
Saturday night marked a frustrating end to New England's season, which now sets up some big questions heading into the offseason.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Rebuild - Reboot - Reload or Nuke it?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by IcyPatriot, Jan 6, 2020.

?

Choose One

1. Reload

63.8%
  2. Reboot

10.5%
  3. Rebuild

21.0%
  4. Nuke it - No Belichick or Brady.

4.8%
  1. ivanvamp

ivanvamp In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3,803
    Which makes them....a very good team.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. 203Pat

203Pat In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4,689
    Not arguing that they are a bad team. Just that close games can easily go either way.

3. Roboturner913

Roboturner913 Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +246
    Reload

People get so hung up on everything being big and symbolic. Sometimes it's just not your year. It's been not the Patriots' year before and they came back stronger and better than they had been.

Sometimes it's just a matter of building continuity, gaining experience for younger players, being luckier on the injury front, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ring 6

Ring 6 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1,820
    I don’t think it’s a matter of could have. Because winning close games is a skill that good teams possess not luck of the draw.

But it’s more a matter of how far away they are/were.

5. Quest4SevenHomie

Quest4SevenHomie Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +491
    Belichick missed out on Kittle because of this. He should've had an insurance policy just for this reason.

6. Wilfork#75

Wilfork#75 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +701
    This all depends on what happens with Brady. If Tommy walks away I think you rebuild. Move on from some of your ageing, more expensive guys and look to the future. I don’t think this team has the talent to seriously compete next year with Stidham as the QB.

If TB12 comes back then you take advantage and reload for one last serious run with this dynasty. You obviously have to give Brady weapons and I don’t think you can expect a major contribution from a rookie at WR or TE. We have seen how difficult it is for a rookie WR to gain Brady’s trust and as we get closer to the end I don’t know if Tom will have as much patience trying to develop guys. Historically rookie TE’s haven’t had big seasons and take time to develop, especially as blockers. If we only have 1 year left I don’t think a rookie TE is gonna cut it.

I would go all out after Odell Beckham Jr and hope the dysfunction in Cleveland would let them trade him for the #23 pick. OJ Howard is being wasted in Tampa and his value is dropping by the day. He is a good blocker could break out with a QB doesn’t throw the ball to the other team half the time. I would also look into AJ Green and see if he would be willing to take a heavily incentivised contract to try and get a ring (doubtful but worth a call). We will be really tight with cap space if Brady comes back but we would have to sacrifice a little bit of the future for one last run.

Finally I would do everything I could to try and talk Gronk into coming back, even just for half a season. Can you imagine how much energy he would give this team coming back mid-season? I still have a lot of confidence this team can win in 2020 with Brady

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Quest4SevenHomie

Quest4SevenHomie Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +491
    Why stop at Hogan and LaFell? Why not bring back Shane Vereen or Danny Woodhead or hell, why not the corpses of Steven Jackson and Maurice Jones Drew as far as the running game is concerned, while you're at it? Don't forget to inquire about Logan Mankins' retirement as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
  8. stinkypete

stinkypete In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +861
    I'm firmly in the rebuild camp.

There have been two rebuilds in the Belichick era. One when he took over, the other at the turn of the last decade. The Patriots managed to win a Super Bowl during the first, and appeared in a Super Bowl during the second. This will be quick.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fatmancryin

Fatmancryin Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1,122
    I chose reload.

Trade Gronks rights to Indy for Andrew Lucks rights and try and talk Luck into coming out of retirement.

10. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +6,573
    Reload. The better Tennessee does the better i feel about next year, if Brady is back. We were one yard away from taking full control of that game , really should have beaten that team. Not sure they win it all but I think they will prove to be as tough as anyone out there, meaning as is we still have a shot on any Sunday.

That said, we still have issues to fix if we wanna win multiple playoff games, need to fill some holes on offense. Bring brady back, keep as much of the D in place as much as you can, and find a playmaker or 2 on offense. Would make a huge difference if we get andrews and develin back too.

• Like Like x 1
  11. 203Pat

Ratings:
    +4,689
    I think some people think the sky is falling when it isn't anywhere near as bad as some are making it out to be. Yes the offense needs weapons. Yes Brady didn't look great at times but if Brady comes back and they get him an NFL caliber tight end and make a move for a higher end receiver I think we in Super Bowl contention again.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. IllegalContact

IllegalContact PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13,016
    I'm telling you.......invest heavily on the trenches......

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Doctor DDS

Doctor DDS Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1,452
    Everything depends on what they do at QB. If BB thinks that Stidham is good enough to play at the Tannehill/Cousins/Prescott level then maybe he thinks he can use the cap relief to load up at TE/WR and make a run. If he thinks Stidham is a year away or not the long term answer then the decision seems to lean towards bringing Brady back on a 1 year deal if he can. If Brady prices himself beyond what BB thinks makes sense and he is not sold on Stidham then I could see him taking a flier on someone like Mariota. Team has too much talent to not go for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +9,939
    It is another reason to "try" to re-sign Brady before the contract voids.

15. Wingy

Wingy On the Roster

Ratings:
    +89
    We should just trash can everything. The Texans, Titans, or Chiefs who will eventually make the Super Bowl are simply unbeatable.

Dynasty’s dead. Let’s give up.

Or we stop thinking the sky is falling cause we don’t win it every single year, work to improve the roster, and get right back into contention w/Brady.

16. Ivan

Ivan Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +24,169
    It simply comes down to the decision with Brady, once that’s decided they will make their other moves accordingly.

17. Ivan

Ivan Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +24,169
    We will know the “ sky is falling” if they take Peter King’s suggestion and sign Andy Dalton. In which case it will be the first tim in my life where I don’t watch the Patriots.

18. Sicilian

Sicilian Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +10,312
    I chose reload, but that's 100% contingent on Brady coming back. I suppose there's also a chance that a solid veteran QB, or a "can't miss" (if there is such a thing) QB drops far enough that they can make a move to draft him, in which case you could try to go for it again. But in reality, if Brady leaves/retires, they should be thinking about next year or the year after, and use 2020 to get in the best position financially, and with the best collection of young talent they can find.

There's no rule that says you have to suck for years after losing a HoF QB. It's HARD, don't get me wrong, and I'm not putting any money on them doing that, but there's ways they can make it easier on themselves. Starting by making sure that, whoever the next guy is, he's got the best supporting cast he can get to develop properly.

19. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +9,939
    If Brady leaves, I expect us to acquire a free agent veteran quarterback, and also draft a quarterback.

No I don't expect us to sign Dalton. HOWEVER, if Belichick has decided that Stidham and a rookie should be competing for the role of backup and QB of the future, we could do worse than have Dalton as a backup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. 203Pat

Ratings:
    +4,689
    I don’t know how we would have the money. We would have $13.5 mill dead with Brady gone and then if we wanted a Dalton or a Bridgewater I doubt we’re getting them for less than $20 mill. If we’re gonna tie up $33 mill on a QB it might as well be Brady.

• Agree Agree x 1