PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

REAL cheating....by the Colts... of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
If you go to PFT this today you will find this mention on the post career life of former Colts LT Tarik Glenn in their "one liners: section. Glenn was the LT for the Colts during most of the early 2000's and suddenly retired after the Colts superbowl win in 2006 after a very good, multi probowl, career at age 31..

But like I said this is about Tarik's post football career, and most of the article describes his foundation in Indy, that mentors at risk kids. It sounds like a really good program that has grown over the years from 14 kids to over 370, and does a lot more than just throw money at the problem. Glenn, now working at the University of California, comes across as a really smart really good guy. But obviously that is not about what this thread is about.

When asked about one play that stood out for him with Manning, he said this:

“We were playing on the road, it might have been Peyton’s rookie year, and it was really loud,” Glenn said. “Peyton hadn’t mastered the silent count, so (former offensive line coach) Howard Mudd had us wearing these hearing aids that were supposed to muffle the crowd while projecting the quarterback’s voice."

The rest of the story describes him not hearing the snap count (despite the hearing aids) and his humerous discussion with with Manning after he got crushed by the guy who ran by Glenn because he couldn't hear the count, that still makes Glenn laugh when he thinks about it.

But as I read the article I thought, "Whoa, that's not right". I have to think noise reducing hearing aids can't possibly legal as it gives the team wearing them a clear competitive advantage. Isn't that the textbook definition of CHEATING, right?

GOD, this is so frustrating. We have to bear the "cheating label" all the time. We have to defend it with facts, while haters are beating us over the head with nothimg more than weak speculation and outright lies. Meanwhile ACTUAL cheating by other teams, ironically like the Colts, go unmentioned by a league so corrupt and unfair that its become redundent to say it.

Yep.. Pretty sure they are illegal unless you have a hearing disability..

Peyton was that bad on the road even while cheating to mitigate the hardest aspect of road games?

If you go to PFT this today you will find this mention on the post career life of former Colts LT Tarik Glenn in their "one liners: section. Glenn was the LT for the Colts during most of the early 2000's and suddenly retired after the Colts superbowl win in 2006 after a very good, multi probowl, career at age 31..

But like I said this is about Tarik's post football career, and most of the article describes his foundation in Indy, that mentors at risk kids. It sounds like a really good program that has grown over the years from 14 kids to over 370, and does a lot more than just throw money at the problem. Glenn, now working at the University of California, comes across as a really smart really good guy. But obviously that is not about what this thread is about.

When asked about one play that stood out for him with Manning, he said this:

“We were playing on the road, it might have been Peyton’s rookie year, and it was really loud,” Glenn said. “Peyton hadn’t mastered the silent count, so (former offensive line coach) Howard Mudd had us wearing these hearing aids that were supposed to muffle the crowd while projecting the quarterback’s voice."

The rest of the story describes him not hearing the snap count (despite the hearing aids) and his humerous discussion with with Manning after he got crushed by the guy who ran by Glenn because he couldn't hear the count, that still makes Glenn laugh when he thinks about it.

But as I read the article I thought, "Whoa, that's not right". I have to think noise reducing hearing aids can't possibly legal as it gives the team wearing them a clear competitive advantage. Isn't that the textbook definition of CHEATING, right?

GOD, this is so frustrating. We have to bear the "cheating label" all the time. We have to defend it with facts, while haters are beating us over the head with nothimg more than weak speculation and outright lies. Meanwhile ACTUAL cheating by other teams, ironically like the Colts, go unmentioned by a league so corrupt and unfair that its become redundent to say it.

Whatever. The other 31 teams get 1/100th of the ink that the Pats are afforded. I relish the fact that our team is the most relevant and hated in the league. They don't boo nobodies, when the boos stop we know they are no longer great.

As for the cheating crap it is a simple mechanism to dismiss success. Really funny how some are bothered by it to the extent they are. The history of gamesmanship in the NFL is extensive for many teams. Not paying attention to the media and drooling masses will save you a lot of grief.

There are the teams that win and the ones that lose, the rest is noise. Pats are so successful because they tune out the garbage and play ball. Ultimately the winners write the books.

Drew Brees and Brett Favre used noise reduction type hearing aids too. So I'm going to assume it's legal.

Whatever. The other 31 teams get 1/100th of the ink that the Pats are afforded. I relish the fact that our team is the most relevant and hated in the league. They don't boo nobodies, when the boos stop we know they are no longer great.

As for the cheating crap it is a simple mechanism to dismiss success. Really funny how some are bothered by it to the extent they are. The history of gamesmanship in the NFL is extensive for many teams. Not paying attention to the media and drooling masses will save you a lot of grief.

There are the teams that win and the ones that lose, the rest is noise. Pats are so successful because they tune out the garbage and play ball. Ultimately the winners write the books.
In an ideal world, I would agree with everything you wrote 100%. But the fact is that when you don't fight the "big lie" it becomes the truth, as we sadly have seen over the last decade.

The Patriots' success should be a valued story of hard work, inteslligence, and skill. They should be held up as an exemplar of the importance of teamwork over individual talent. It should be exalted as a universal example of all those values and more...But they aren't. And even when they are, it's always with qualifiers that have come from the "big lie".

So, while I would LOVE to simply ignore the haters, and dismiss the "big lie" as being in the past, I feel it's almost a duty as a Pats fans to point out the hypocrisy of what has happened to the Patriots and in my own small way provide some pushback. There are those like Felger, who want it all to go away and make fun of those of us who refuse to just lie down and forget it. IT IS NOT OVER!

Just because the Pats won the superbowl and we all got to enjoy the scene on the victory platform (over and over again), it doesn't change the fact that the team AND it's fans have been slandered, and the lie still persists. You only have to go as recently as Feb. andFraudger's pre-superbowl presser to see it in action. Or even more recently in April and the thievery of our draft pick. Big lies do have real world consequences.

dum de dummm...

Let all who follow the Patriots rejoice in yet another proof of the League*'s hypocrisy.

Stay tight w/your pats fans friends. They are the only people in the league, except perhaps the Saints, and about 90% of the players of the Brady era, who get it.

Other fans will chew on that nothing burger until we're all dead and buried. Yet the record books will be the record books, the rings will be the rings, the trophies will be the trophies - and rightfully so.

The dreadful truth of it is that the League* got away with stealing several draft picks from this dynasty, a bunch of money from the coach and franchise, and four games from the GOAT Qb.

And one day in the far future, if the sport doesn't disappear in a hail of CTE lawsuits, somebody will come close to breaking one or another of Brady's records on the final game of his career... and yet-unborn sportscasters will say "But shouldn't there be an asterisk for the four games that the old NFL* stole from Brady in 2016?"

You know, after Brady plays until he's 45 (and Brees is retired) so that TFB owns all the regular season records too...

Is it cheating? Yes. Is it the kind I want to get my knickers in a twist over? No.

Don't get me wrong near all the other NFL teams and fans are being hypocritical when it comes to the Patriots and their own team. But I see a distinction between trying to gain an edge and skating the rules and plain old bold face cheating.

Drew Brees and Brett Favre used noise reduction type hearing aids too. So I'm going to assume it's legal.
They use ear plugs which block out some distant loud noises but not all. It's the same type of in ear protection industrial workers wear.

What is being described in the article is an electronic device.

peyton's wife/girlfriend may have been hard of hearing so she bought the devices as gifts for the lineman

It's more likely she's hard of seeing. Peyton is one homely, inbred-looking guy.

Is it cheating? Yes. Is it the kind I want to get my knickers in a twist over? No.

Don't get me wrong near all the other NFL teams and fans are being hypocritical when it comes to the Patriots and their own team. But I see a distinction between trying to gain an edge and skating the rules and plain old bold face cheating.

In a world where Brady hasn't been defamed, I would agree.

However, I will forever insist on death by hanging for jaywalking.

And I want a big asterisk on every Colts participation banner.

Every team skirts the spirit of the rules just as much if not more so than the Patriots. But as we all know it really doesn't matter.

Every team skirts the spirit of the rules just as much if not more so than the Patriots. But as we all know it really doesn't matter.

Yeah, I'm like "Wait a stinkin minute. That's two ways that Peyton Manning has cheated to get past what was obviously a problem with crowd noise... and then they changed the rules to inflate his stats and get him a trophy... And then we have his wife's well-timed need for HGH just as he was coming off neck surgery... and E-Lie's memorabilia scandal. How hard has the NFL* continued to work on that 'golden child' story line they tried to plant in the late 90s????"

This is why I say just let it go, and embrace the wearers of the right laundry wherever you find them and whenever you find them, because whether it's stupidity or willful ignorance, other fans are just going to hate on us into infinity.

Except to say to Clots fans, yeah that 2006 championship game, boy howdy that was some comeback, I think the second-greatest in postseason history...

Perhaps our unborn descendants and theirs will sit down at the table of brotherhood and break nachos together, but this is not that day. This day we fight! Sorry, LOTR keeps being on cable and I still watch it every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes