PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reactions to “The Dynasty”

That's a more than reasonable take. If Butler was treated unfairly he would have said something and wouldn't have played dumb like he didn't know why he was benched in the SB after playing all the snaps he did up to that game.

Like I said, believing that Butler didn't know why he was benched is crazy talk.
Butler was disgruntled about his contract, also that Bill had given Stephon Gilmore the richest CB contract in the NFL. He refused to communicate early in the season with Stephon, which caused the entire team to suffer.

Butler went on to give up the 11th most passing yards, 3rd most TD's, and ranked 108th in the NFL at yards after the catch by a CB in 2017. He was ranked 92nd in QB passer rating when targeted... 92nd.

Then he had the gall to go out and publicly blame the coaching staff because he let Jay Cutler and a 5'7" sixth round pick WR Jakeem Grant moss him in a loss to the Dolphins in week 14. Then he missed the team flight or some crap leading up to the most important game of the year.

Incompetence would have been reason enough to bench Butler, but insubordination was the reason.

He clearly screwed up and BB protected him because he didn't want him to suffer for it in free agency. BB cared for his players.

Tough guys don't cry on the sideline because a coach benched them, they cry when they fck up and screwed over their team.

Butler was disgruntled about his contract, also that Bill had given Stephon Gilmore the richest CB contract in the NFL. He refused to communicate early in the season with Stephon, which caused the entire team to suffer.

Butler went on to give up the 11th most passing yards, 3rd most TD's, and ranked 108th in the NFL at yards after the catch by a CB in 2017. He was ranked 92nd in QB passer rating when targeted... 92nd.

Then he had the gall to go out and publicly blame the coaching staff because he let Jay Cutler and a 5'7" sixth round pick WR Jakeem Grant moss him in a loss to the Dolphins in week 14. Then he missed the team flight or some crap leading up to the most important game of the year.

Incompetence would have been reason enough to bench Butler, but insubordination was the reason.

He clearly screwed up and BB protected him because he didn't want him to suffer for it in free agency. BB cared for his players.

Tough guys don't cry on the sideline because a coach benched them, they cry when they fck up and screwed over their team.
Could be and I think Butler knows what it is but doesn't want to tell anyone either, might make him look bad.

My read on it? Butler spoke back to one of the coaches and Bill decided that was worth sitting him for the SB as he watched his team get killed. Some said the coach was his son.

Butler probably did not think about it more than 10 seconds. Hence the no clue part.

He sat Welker down for an entire playoff series because he made a joke about an opposing coach. So it's on brand. Hubris.

Damn - I promised I will stop on this but it should not count as responding to a question - right? LOL
You're safe. And thanks.

I was thinking about watching the show again so I started episode one. After a quick shot of AV's first SB kick the narrator went right to the cheating narrative while showing negative images of both Bill and Tom. Kraft's comment was about how difficult it was for him to keep it all together. That was the opening 1 or 2 minutes of the show.

When Jackie McMullen, in one of her many moments, stated that Tom Brady probably tampered with the footballs I just about fell off my chair.

There is something going on with those Boston Globe writers that's just not right. After all, in his autobio "Scribe", Bob Ryan wrote (page 238), "Belichick was filming Green Bay defensive signals in 2006, which is a breach of the rules", which is complete BS as it was never against the rules to film defensive signals & there weren't even restrictions on the location of the cameraman in 2006. The memo stating that the filming couldn't be done from the sideline was issued in 2007 Bob, you idiot.

I figure Belichick must've said something to McMullin & Ryan & they say this **** out of spite.

I think it's wrong to think BB "doesn’t think he ever owes anyone an explanation". It's just that he never trashes or dishes dirt on a player (or anyone on the staff) in the press. Even when a player totally deserves it like Adalius Thomas or Albert Haynesworth. He just benches them and if ever asked he describes punishment as a "coach's decision". That's just the way he is. Some people (myself included) consider that professionalism.
There’s nothing professional about what BB did to the team in that SB. Dressing him and having him participate in the pre-game warm up with the defense and then benching him for the game with no explanation to Butler or the team left the team unprepared. Hardly professional.

I think I may have broken free with love for the game. Not into it at all this year. The true test will come when the season starts but I don’t remember the last time I lost track of the combine pro workouts etc. just not into it anymore. I suspect I know why but unsure if that is all.

I think I may have broken free with love for the game. Not into it at all this year. The true test will come when the season starts but I don’t remember the last time I lost track of the combine pro workouts etc. just not into it anymore. I suspect I know why but unsure if that is all.
Probably because TB and BB are gone and the teams not good. I love watching football, always have since I was a kid and it never mattered whether they were great, good or bad. I just like to watch.

Probably because TB and BB are gone and the teams not good. I love watching football, always have since I was a kid and it never mattered whether they were great, good or bad. I just like to watch.
I am a BB fan more than a Brady fan. I did not care if they were good or bad under BB. It is likely because I am put off by the Krafts and even an extension Mayo. That will explain the patriots but not even caring for the combine is a new for me.

In my case it's 1) my peculiar reason for becoming a fan gained closure with SB LI and 2) the post-BB circus pretty much erased my already-reduced, purely sentimental interest in watching the sequel.

I don't know where else to put this... I'm watching this "seems like it should be a cable access tv show" called "Becoming the GOAT," and I'm watching this dude the Beav (Jay Flannelly) who just seems like my kind of NE Boston area dude talking about the GOAT:

[Note this isn't in the show]

But Brady never engaged in bravado or boasting -- one of the hallmarks of the Michigan Man at his best. In 1997-98, when Brady was a sophomore backing up Brian Griese, he lived in an apartment building, where a fellow student named Jeff Viscomi lived. The building had a small basement laundry room with a single washer and dryer. Viscomi had left a load of undershirts and boxers in the dryer, he recalls. "I went down to retrieve them and Tom, whom I recognized only as one of several football players living in the building, was standing at the dryer folding my laundry and leaving it in a neat stack on the dryer. It was notable at the time only because most people, myself included, would have left the clothes in a pile on top of the dryer, but Tom had taken the time to fold them."

Not just getting older? When I was single with only myself to answer to, I used to watch pre-game shows, post game shows, combine, 3-4 games a week besides the Pats and even Pats pre-season games (probably first half of each game).

Now I never watch pre or post game shows, I watch 1 or 2 max games a weak other than Pats and don't watch anything offseason related except the first 2 days of the draft. Been this way for probably last 5-6 years.

I still visit this place way too often though.

Not just getting older? When I was single with only myself to answer to, I used to watch pre-game shows, post game shows, combine, 3-4 games a week besides the Pats and even Pats pre-season games (probably first half of each game).

Now I never watch pre or post game shows, I watch 1 or 2 max games a weak other than Pats and don't watch anything offseason related except the first 2 days of the draft. Been this way for probably last 5-6 years.

I still visit this place way too often though.
I can't quit this place like Brokeback... and I've never watched the movie. It's a disease.

I know it's not remotely related, but now super irrationally I'm thinking McCarthy or Milton will lead the Pats to the promised land:

I don't know where else to put this... I'm watching this "seems like it should be a cable access tv show" called "Becoming the GOAT," and I'm watching this dude the Beav (Jay Flannelly) who just seems like my kind of NE Boston area dude talking about the GOAT:

[Note this isn't in the show]

But Brady never engaged in bravado or boasting -- one of the hallmarks of the Michigan Man at his best. In 1997-98, when Brady was a sophomore backing up Brian Griese, he lived in an apartment building, where a fellow student named Jeff Viscomi lived. The building had a small basement laundry room with a single washer and dryer. Viscomi had left a load of undershirts and boxers in the dryer, he recalls. "I went down to retrieve them and Tom, whom I recognized only as one of several football players living in the building, was standing at the dryer folding my laundry and leaving it in a neat stack on the dryer. It was notable at the time only because most people, myself included, would have left the clothes in a pile on top of the dryer, but Tom had taken the time to fold them."
I just have to say... I f'ing love Antowain Smith. F'ing love him.

Wrong. The rumor is Butler had a confrontation with little Steve during practice and Patricia and Bill decided to bench him for disrespecting a coach. That's not a football decision during the most important game of the season. It was personal and 100% on Bill. He cost us the 3-peat.

We've seen Bill do this before with Bennett, who he shipped out to DAL.
Can't believe Belichick threw the Superbowl because Butler was possibly rude to his little Stevie who only had a job due to blatant nepotism and is now struggling as DC of the Huskies

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back