PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapoport, Schefter: Josh McDaniels, Dave Ziegler hired by Raiders for HC/GM Positions

He was a horrible pro coach and a PR disaster. Good interviewing and delving into backgrounds tend to get those kinds of things brought to the surface.
Did you see this story?
Urban Meyer calls disastrous Jaguars stint ‘worst experience’ of career

Some real gems:

“You know, the amount of reps you get before you go play a game, to me, was shockingly low. For example, we would practice, you maybe get one or two reps at something, next thing you know you’re calling it in the game. In college, you never do that. In college, you’re going to get at least a dozen opportunities to practice that before you ask a player to go do it in the game. So there are a lot of differences.”

yeah, just like every other nfl coach.

“Used to be in college, the reality is you spend 75% of your time recruiting,” Meyer said. “In professional football, there’s no recruiting. So it’s all scheme and it’s all roster management. You’re getting guys rolling in on your organization on a Tuesday and they’re gonna play for you on a Sunday. So there is some obvious differences to the two games.”

So, you could’ve spent the 75% of newly found free time by scheming. Shows how much recruiting skills versus coaching skills he has.

How is explaining the differences a negative reflection on the guy speaking?
Context matters. The report just lists is as facts. The actual interview made it clear that these were differences he didn’t anticipate until he actually got going on the job.

He was a horrible pro coach and a PR disaster. Good interviewing and delving into backgrounds tend to get those kinds of things brought to the surface.
Urban Meyer is not a horrible coach. He has a tremendous record as a coach.
He was saddled with a crap team.
As far as PR nightmare, what do you ask? Do you ever put your hands on young girls asses?

Context matters. The report just lists is as facts. The actual interview made it clear that these were differences he didn’t anticipate until he actually got going on the job.
That’s just not true.

Urban Meyer is not a horrible coach. He has a tremendous record as a coach.
He was saddled with a crap team.
As far as PR nightmare, what do you ask? Do you ever put your hands on young girls asses?
Once again, he had a tremendous record as head coach because his skills were at recruiting, which the man himself said was 75% of the college coaching game.

One quote not in that article said that he was shocked to find out that it was like he was playing Alabama every week in the NFL.

Curran raises an interesting point here: why did Josh stay 4 years ago and leave now? Was it the position/team, or the Pats? He suggests it was the Pats decision, but I’m not so sure.

Once again, he had a tremendous record as head coach because his skills were at recruiting, which the man himself said was 75% of the college coaching game.

One quote not in that article said that he was shocked to find out that it was like he was playing Alabama every week in the NFL.
He was a great coach in college. You are taking realities and pretending they are misconceptions.

Curran raises an interesting point here: why did Josh stay 4 years ago and leave now? Was it the position/team, or the Pats? He suggests it was the Pats decision, but I’m not so sure.

He’s leaving now because it’s clear he has final say/personnel control. He wasn’t getting that in Indianapolis.

Frankly, I’d be surprised if the new OC is anyone but BOB. I’d be even more surprised if the new player personnel director is anyone but Eliot Wolf.

He’s leaving now because it’s clear he has final say/personnel control. He wasn’t getting that in Indianapolis.

Frankly, I’d be surprised if the new OC is anyone but BOB. I’d be even more surprised if the new player personnel director is anyone but Eliot Wolf.
Rumors are Wolf and Obrein could follow Josh to Las Vegas.

He was a great coach in college. You are taking realities and pretending they are misconceptions.
Once again, he was a great coach in college, where the man himself said 75% of the work was recruiting.

There is virtually zero recruiting as head coach in the NFL.

The job descriptions of NFL head coach and college head coach is different. Meyer was great at the most important college aspect. The other 25% of the job, he was not, but it rarely mattered because, as he said, he didn’t play Alabama every week.

Plenty of successful college head coaches failed hard in the NFL because their skill set didn’t translate. It works the other way, too — you need people skills to deal with the boosters and AD in college which you don’t need to worry about in the NFL. And you need teaching skills in college, which may not be needed in the NFL when every player has had college teaching and many have other NFL experience already.

Owners need to look beyond college records and into the actual process of making the sausage when determining if a college head coach should be hired as NFL head coach. And vice versa, as I said above.

Once again, he was a great coach in college, where the man himself said 75% of the work was recruiting.

There is virtually zero recruiting as head coach in the NFL.

The job descriptions of NFL head coach and college head coach is different. Meyer was great at the most important college aspect. The other 25% of the job, he was not, but it rarely mattered because, as he said, he didn’t play Alabama every week.

Plenty of successful college head coaches failed hard in the NFL because their skill set didn’t translate. It works the other way, too — you need people skills to deal with the boosters and AD in college which you don’t need to worry about in the NFL. And you need teaching skills in college, which may not be needed in the NFL when every player has had college teaching and many have other NFL experience already.

Owners need to look beyond college records and into the actual process of making the sausage when determining if a college head coach should be hired as NFL head coach. And vice versa, as I said above.
Once again, I disagree, he was a great college coach, recruiting aside.
The rest of your post is just theoretical hypothetical stuff that really isn’t relevant to an individual.

Rumors are Wolf and Obrein could follow Josh to Las Vegas.
Wolf has no real tie to the patriots. But there is an opening now if they feel he would be good as a Ziegler replacement.
I don’t want OBrien here any way.
just remember a lot of these rumors are just speculation based upon having worked together

Most college coaches make for lousy NFL head coaches. Because as has been discussed, the needs and skillsets are just too different.

Once again, I disagree, he was a great college coach, recruiting aside.
Where’s your evidence of this? Once again, his record isn’t evidence, because 75% of the skill set is different.
The rest of your post is just theoretical hypothetical stuff that really isn’t relevant to an individual.
How is it theoretical and not relevant to an individual, when the specific individual in question said 75% of his job in college is something that isn’t done in the NFL? This implies the skill sets required for the two jobs are completely different. Again, this is not hypothetical, this is from Meyer himself.

Where’s your evidence of this? Once again, his record isn’t evidence, because 75% of the skill set is different.

How is it theoretical and not relevant to an individual, when the specific individual in question said 75% of his job in college is something that isn’t done in the NFL? This implies the skill sets required for the two jobs are completely different. Again, this is not hypothetical, this is from Meyer himself.
Because Meyer was a tremendous coach aside from recruiting.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back