PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapaport: Gronk Expected to Return in 2018 | Edit: Gronk Tweets "#clueless"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone with half a brain knows this is just mediots desperate to find 'content'.

Thus, #clueless.

While we have some exceptions, the odds that athletes in their prime will walk away from millions of dollars are extremely low.

See Rothlisburger, Ben, et. al.

Gronks average annual salary is $9million/year over the length of the contract (six years, $54M total,with $8m signing bonus and $12M guaranteed at signing). Then there’s the $5M extra he earned last season. As best I can work out, the top free agent wide receiver that year got a contract for 5 years/$55M total/$26M guaranteed - $11M/year ave salary.

My understanding is that players get less $ on extensions if signed early (Gronk signed his with 2 yrs to go?) as opposed to testing free agency? So for the time he signed, he had a fair contract extension. His big issue was in signing such a long contract (salary cap will be almost $60 mill more this year then when Gronk contract was signed).

Say Gronk gets bumped to $16M/yr (see D Hopkins contract). Cooks then gets, what, 12-14M? Brady is on $20M. I know they can play with cap space over contract years, but that would make three players earning $50M against a predicted cap of $178M. Then add on Gilmore and McCourty at $13M ave and $9.5M ave, and then 5 players are taking home an ave salary of $70M or 40% of cap. Isn’t that how other teams get in trouble by paying a few star players and padding out the rest of the roster with low paid vets or rookies on first contracts, rather then having a larger, well paid ‘middle class’ that NE tends to have?

Gronks average annual salary is $9million/year over the length of the contract (six years, $54M total,with $8m signing bonus and $12M guaranteed at signing). Then there’s the $5M extra he earned last season. As best I can work out, the top free agent wide receiver that year got a contract for 5 years/$55M total/$26M guaranteed - $11M/year ave salary.

My understanding is that players get less $ on extensions if signed early (Gronk signed his with 2 yrs to go?) as opposed to testing free agency? So for the time he signed, he had a fair contract extension. His big issue was in signing such a long contract (salary cap will be almost $60 mill more this year then when Gronk contract was signed).

Say Gronk gets bumped to $16M/yr (see D Hopkins contract). Cooks then gets, what, 12-14M? Brady is on $20M. I know they can play with cap space over contract years, but that would make three players earning $50M against a predicted cap of $178M. Then add on Gilmore and McCourty at $13M ave and $9.5M ave, and then 5 players are taking home an ave salary of $70M or 40% of cap. Isn’t that how other teams get in trouble by paying a few star players and padding out the rest of the roster with low paid vets or rookies on first contracts, rather then having a larger, well paid ‘middle class’ that NE tends to have?
I think you have to listen to offers regardless.
A 1st round pick on a manageable salary for 5 years is Paramount to building a competitive team the whole way around.
But Gronk is a hall of famer if you can make him happy reasonably that's still the best course of action.

:mad: until you hear it from Gronk or his agent. :mad: everybody needs to zip it up. :mad: i for one am sick of this ********. :mad: he's holding the team hostage. :mad: i hope he comes back and they trade his ass. :mad:

lighten-up-francis-22862786.png

This is so desperate. FWIW I'm sure we can find a few times where Rapoport struck out too.

Rapoport is well-plugged in in Foxboro. IMO that report was the team trying to put out there that they expect Gronk back. Hence Gronk calling it clueless...
Your theory has merit, IMO.

Last edited:
Why any Pats fan would encourage or accept Gronk's immature behavior and troll work, I simply have no idea. I don't want my All Pro HOF TE running around acting like this at 9 million per year.

It's cool to speculate, especially in offseason, as it's fun and takes up time. But legitimately getting your feelings up in a bunch and not being able to contain your anger is really silly and makes 75% of the threads here snowball into unbearable, incoherent commentary.

A 1st round pick on a manageable salary for 5 years is Paramount to building a competitive team the whole way around.

No it is not.

Hitting on players in general is the key no matter if via the draft/ UDFAs/FA or whatever. The fifth year option is the cherry on top and helps with negotiations but thats about it.

Why any Pats fan would encourage or accept Gronk's immature behavior and troll work, I simply have no idea. I don't want my All Pro HOF TE running around acting like this at 9 million per year.

Could not care less what he's doing in public UNLESS it's a part of playing internal games with the Pats org over his career decisions.
I hope he makes good decisions that further his life interests. As a fan I'd hate to see him leave, but so be it.

Since the more appropriate thread keeps getting hijacked by politics I'm repeating this here...

Curran wrote up the stuff he basically said in that TV appearance:

Curran: Patriots' future rides on breaking the tension

I know the usual crew here will be all "sensationalist mediot hater", but it's pretty low key, and he explicitly disclaims knowing exactly how people feel, but he does stick what what he's been saying for a while now that the friction has been much higher than usual this season for some reason.

And now I'll have my own sensationalist speculation (and one that could admittedly be totally wrong right out of the gate depending on the timeline I can't remember)...

I've always thought that Brady Sr's comment about "It will eventually end badly" was just generically about the BB general philosophy of dumping vets "a year early rather than a year late". But all the stuff from the different places over the past few months make me wonder if Brady Sr at least in part based his remark on specific stuff he was hearing from Brady Jr. I don't think that whatever's going in suddenly appeared this year. It had to have been bubbling but something happened to set it off (my guess being BB putting the clamps on Guerrero). So maybe there have been things that have been pissing Brady off for years, but he just ate it (other than venting to family and friends).

Now, if Sr's comment was from 10 years ago (like I said, I don't remember the timeline) then I freely admit my speculation is almost certainly wrong. But if it was in the past 5 years I'm not as willing to concede that.

I don't think they should trade him but i wouldn't do it unless i got a first rounder in return and the pick would have to be top 20.

until you hear it from Gronk or his agent. everybody needs to zip it up. i for one am sick of this ********. he's holding the team hostage. i hope he comes back and they trade his ass.

Wait. What ******** are you sick of? Remember that none of the press is proven to be his doing. So if you're saying until you hear it from Gronk or his agent [disregard the story], what did he/his agent do that pisses you off?

Since the more appropriate thread keeps getting hijacked by politics I'm repeating this here...

Curran wrote up the stuff he basically said in that TV appearance:

Curran: Patriots' future rides on breaking the tension

I know the usual crew here will be all "sensationalist mediot hater", but it's pretty low key, and he explicitly disclaims knowing exactly how people feel, but he does stick what what he's been saying for a while now that the friction has been much higher than usual this season for some reason.

And now I'll have my own sensationalist speculation (and one that could admittedly be totally wrong right out of the gate depending on the timeline I can't remember)...

I've always thought that Brady Sr's comment about "It will eventually end badly" was just generically about the BB general philosophy of dumping vets "a year early rather than a year late". But all the stuff from the different places over the past few months make me wonder if Brady Sr at least in part based his remark on specific stuff he was hearing from Brady Jr. I don't think that whatever's going in suddenly appeared this year. It had to have been bubbling but something happened to set it off (my guess being BB putting the clamps on Guerrero). So maybe there have been things that have been pissing Brady off for years, but he just ate it (other than venting to family and friends).

Now, if Sr's comment was from 10 years ago (like I said, I don't remember the timeline) then I freely admit my speculation is almost certainly wrong. But if it was in the past 5 years I'm not as willing to concede that.

The thing that puzzles me is that BB is usually a cutting-edge guy, he's always looking for that extra edge, or that new technology, whatnot. For him to pump the brakes on Guerrero seems to run counter to this philosophy even though Guerrero's system has been proven to work (Brady has missed zero games in forever, and Gronk missed only one last year and that was only because of suspension).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes